Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There are no deaths in Ragnarok the audience isn't asked to take lightly.

It is possible to inject a moment of comedy into a tragedy and ask the audience to laugh.

It is not possible to inject a moment of tragedy into a comedy and expect the audience to cry. It's a Simon Bar Sinister "Simon says...cry!" kind of moment that just doesn't work.

And we didn't. We laughed at that moment of tragedy, or at least didn't take it seriously. And made the movie enormously popular. And civilization is the worse for it.

And this is the last I have to say in the subject.
    Take it your not a Dr. Strangelove fan?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Apocalypse was a generic bad guy that could be replaced with anyone. Rename him happy the super clown and it does not change the plot.

Magneto turning bad AGAIN. Even with the trailer I rolled my eyes and was sick of that.

Quicksilver making a big deal about talking to his dad and then never tells him he is his son. Something that could have made magneto change sides. Even how it should have ended attacked the film for that!

Last film set up logan going to teach at the school complete with Mystique finding him was thrown out this movie. Why even set that up?

Telling fans they will make up to Jubilee fans after she had her big scenes cut out of two films only to cut her big scenes out of this one! (that was attacked when the film first came out plus the mall scenes were great and should have stayed in.)

Crappy cg last half hour with dirt flying everywhere.

The "sweet dreams" scene was the best part of the movie. Rest was blah to me. Plus it came right after the much better dofp.
    Tbh I never understood why didn't just reveal the whole Quicksilver thing. Magneto starts out the movie having lost a daughter and went evil and with the level of writing on display with this movie it would have right up their ally to reveal his secret to Mags to get him to switch sides AGAIN.

Astonishing Member

It is possible to inject a moment of comedy into a tragedy and ask the audience to laugh.

It is not possible to inject a moment of tragedy into a comedy and expect the audience to cry. It's a Simon Bar Sinister "Simon says...cry!" kind of moment that just doesn't work.

And we didn't. We laughed at that moment of tragedy, or at least didn't take it seriously. And made the movie enormously popular. And civilization is the worse for it.

And this is the last I have to say in the subject.
    I've noticed in your few post that you have this nasty little habit of speaking FOR people and you should probably not do that just FYI I for one found Ragnarok to be both funny AND emotional and coming from someone who liked Thor 1 and Thor 2(yes even Dark World I don't have a hate-boner for it like some MCU fans) I think Ragnarok was better than the first 2 combined and considering the positive reception to Thor from Ragnarok through Endgame it was the best move the MCU could have done for the character.

I also think that even if they've ramped up the comedic aspects of Thor at his heart he's still the same as his ComicBook counterpart which is what the MCU excels at. The same cannot be said for the X-Men outside of maybe Xavier and Magneto.

I don't recall the deaths of the Warriors Three, or Skurge, or Odin being specifically played for laughs. Nor were we asked to take them lightly. In fact the Warriors Three were killed to show how powerful Hela is. Odin's death was a touching moment, followed immediately by a display of Thor's rage and the appearance of Hela. And while Skurge was initially comedic, as the film progresses you can see the weight of his conscience getting heavier until he ultimately sacrifices himself to save the remaining Asgardians. Again, wasn't played for laughs.

I think you are overstating your point. There was a lot to laugh at in Ragnarok, but to claim it played tragic moments for laughs is a complete misinterpretation of what actually happened.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    I don't recall the deaths of the Warriors Three, or Skurge, or Odin being specifically played for laughs. Nor were we asked to take them lightly. In fact the Warriors Three were killed to show how powerful Hela is. Odin's death was a touching moment, followed immediately by a display of Thor's rage and the appearance of Hela. And while Skurge was initially comedic, as the film progresses you can see the weight of his conscience getting heavier until he ultimately sacrifices himself to save the remaining Asgardians. Again, wasn't played for laughs.

I think you are overstating your point. There was a lot to laugh at in Ragnarok, but to claim it played tragic moments for laughs is a complete misinterpretation of what actually happened.
    Well Old Doug and The Grandmasters cousins deaths were played for laughs but yea. I dont recall of any the real deaths being a joke. Maybe just the idea of a movie about Ragnarok being a comedy triggers people iono.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Well Old Doug and The Grandmasters cousins deaths were played for laughs but yea. I dont recall of any the real deaths being a joke. Maybe just the idea of a movie about Ragnarok being a comedy triggers people iono.
    The thing with Doug is that his actual death wasn't played for laughs. We didn't even see his death, we're just left to assume that he was beaten so badly by Hulk that he eventually died of his injuries. I wasn't laughing at Doug being dead so much as I was laughing at the way Korg got us there.

I agree that this film triggers some people for some reason. Calling it a comedy is probably a bit much though. It has comedic elements, but I wouldn't expect to find it in the same section as Anchorman or something. In fact, most of the comedy is situational, and after we leave Sakaar and return to Asgard there isn't a great deal of comedy in that portion of the film. A couple of Hulk moments (face-planting the rainbow bridge and "big monster") and then the Korg/Miek bit at the end, but that's about it.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

i enjoyed it but it wasn't groundbreaking. I wish that Apocalypse had more genuine bad folks supporting him instead of Angel, Storm and Psylocke.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I enjoyed it, warts and all.

I'll admit I don't get the Apocalypse criticism. He certainly came across as a more fully realized character than he ever did in the 90s comics. I liked the religious zealotry angle, how he saw some mutants as his 'children' and felt the world had been deceived by the promise of weapons as opposed to raw, genetic power. I even thought his final moment added something to the character. He's so committed to his ideology that he welcomes his death at the hands of Jean Grey. He thought of himself as a messiah up to this point but suddenly reimagines himself as a prophet of the Phoenix Force.

It was also great to see Scott and Jean's relationship develop without Wolverine complicating things. I like the angle that Jean connects with Scott because they're both afraid of unleashing their power.

I feel like the Xavier/Magneto relationship and ideological conflict is the core of the X-Men universe, so I have no problems with that being explored further even if there's some retread. (For the record, I also have no problem exploring other corners of the X-Men universe that don't directly involve Xavier and Magneto, but I feel like their presence should always be felt to some degree, even when they are absent. They've set the parameters which other mutants either embrace or run up against.)

So much to love about this film, not the least of which is the mindscape battle where Xavier and Jean take on Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    i enjoyed it but it wasn't groundbreaking. I wish that Apocalypse had more genuine bad folks supporting him instead of Angel, Storm and Psylocke.
    I get what they were trying to do as far as using Apocalyse to introduce the characters... but I think it ultimately sort of wasted them. Storm in particular.

If there is one criticism I could lay on this movie for than anything else, it's that they spent so much time focusing on the already established characters that they ended up doing a sort of half @$$ed job with the newer ones. This arguably should have been their movie, but it was still more the Magneto and Mystique show. I get that those two are played by arguably the franchises 2 biggest best actors (with Wolverine not really around to carry the franchise anymore), but still... sometimes less is more.
    Last edited by XPac; 05-29-2019 at 08:30 AM.

The FOX people made it?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I get that those two are played by arguably the franchises 2 biggest best actors
    high pay =/= best

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with her like everyone else did.
    Me neither. IMHO, having her go good actually made her an interesting character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I've noticed in your few post that you have this nasty little habit of speaking FOR people and you should probably not do that just FYI
    Not speaking for people. Speaking to the script. If you like the movie that's wonderful. That doesn't make the script something it was never intended to be, and never should have been.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Ozman View Post
    I don't recall the deaths of the Warriors Three, or Skurge, or Odin being specifically played for laughs.
    I didn't say for laughs. I said take lightly. Not seriously. Not as tragedy. Those deaths were throw-away, not intended to have any emotional effect whatsoever.

To that extent, they succeeded.

BANNED

I watched this on FX last night. My god the special effects were terrible. That entire segment with Wolverine was cringe-worthy.

It's such a bad movie.