Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Disney VS Warner?

This is just a comment, but for the last years, I have heard everywhere people complaining about "How Disney is buying everything": like Marvel Comics, Star Wars, Pixar, the Muppets and now the Fox. However, it seems people are forgetting that Disney's main rival (Warner Bros) has been doing the same for years too. I mean, doesn't Warner Bros owe stuff like DC comics (quite ironic, since Disney has its main rival, Marvel), Hannah Barbera and the old Cartoon Network's channel? Also, where Disney has Star Wars, Warner has Star Trek.

I don't think WB own Star Trek, that's Paramount pretty sure.

Also, Disney is very good at family films, but they have trouble with original films. Basically all they do is remakes and sequels..

Warner Bros are not perfect either, but they at least take more risks and do more original and compelling films. More variety in general. We are lucky they are still around.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Disney is the Thanos of the entertainment business.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I feel like Warner Bros would be more of a movie threat if their franchises like DC, LEGO and Harry Potter had panned out to be a reliable bench for blockbusters. It doesn't really feel like there's a lot of depth there with successes like Aquaman and Wonder Woman feeling more like outliers.

On TV, Warner is obviously a powerhouse and that'll help them in streaming, too.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Warner got brought by AT&T last year. They were one of the companies that got brought lol.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Also, Disney is very good at family films, but they have trouble with original films. Basically all they do is remakes and sequels..

Warner Bros are not perfect either, but they at least take more risks and do more original and compelling films. More variety in general. We are lucky they are still around.
    Paramount use to own Trek then Paramount was bought by Viacom who also owned CBS. Viacom's parent company National Amusement owned by Sumner Redstone split Viacom into two companies in the mid 00's current Viacom owns Paramount but Trek was given to the separate CBS Corporation both companies are still owned by National Amusement. CBS leased Trek out to Paramount to do the Kelvin films and Redstone's daughter will likely remerge the companies in the next few years she hated the split but is now in charged and just waiting because Moonves was fighting her on it and his departure while guarentee she'll get what she wants also delayed it.

BANNED

Not that it matters a lot, but Disney is only the third largest studio and behind WB.

https://www.therichest.com/rich-list...ywood-studios/

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Not that it matters a lot, but Disney is only the third largest studio and behind WB.

https://www.therichest.com/rich-list...ywood-studios/
    That link is from 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Touchstone still exists right? Just realized Disney hasnt realzied awhole lot of movies through them lately that I can recall. I know Miramax isnt with Disney anymore but just havent heard much from Toucstone

Meh, I like content from both companies, and competition between them on the entertainment front means more stuff for us fans. Don't particularly agree with the business practices of either, but that's out of my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Warner got brought by AT&T last year. They were one of the companies that got brought lol.
    At one time AOL owned Warner Bros. Anyone even remember AOL anymore?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I think it comes from Disney's much larger profile when purely compared to WB. People have more awareness of Disney for a myriad of reasons.
    Their footprint overall is much, much larger than WB's. To compare, WB was bought by AT&T, who wanted to start getting into the content realm. They received quite a bit of pushback from the approval agencies whereas Disney has not as they continue to buy other content providers up (and that's the key difference with AT&T being a network/telecom operator as well as content now, Disney is all straight content). Disney's share of the content provider market is outrageous now.

Disney bought Lucasfilms, Marvel, Pixar, Fox, Hulu, and owns multiple TV channels as well (all ABC channels, ESPN, Disney, etc.). Am I missing anything?

Specifically to some points made in the OP, Cartoon Network is the only channel that I am personally aware of that is directly owned and influenced by WB in any way (open to hearing what other channels they own, I simply don't know). That can't compare to the plethora of TV channels Disney oversees. I also wasn't aware that Warner Bros. owned the Star Trek IP and there appears to be some refute on that above.

BANNED

It's probably worth noting also that video game industry has grown larger than the movie and TV industry, I seem to recall, and WB Interactive is doing much better in that space than Disney is, to my knowledge. Too lazy to go look it up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    This is just a comment, but for the last years, I have heard everywhere people complaining about "How Disney is buying everything": like Marvel Comics, Star Wars, Pixar, the Muppets and now the Fox. However, it seems people are forgetting that Disney's main rival (Warner Bros) has been doing the same for years too. I mean, doesn't Warner Bros owe stuff like DC comics (quite ironic, since Disney has its main rival, Marvel), Hannah Barbera and the old Cartoon Network's channel? Also, where Disney has Star Wars, Warner has Star Trek.
    Star Trek is Paramount not Warner. While I am not on this anti-Disney bandwagon, owning Hanna-Barbara and the cartoon network is not comparable to owning Star Wars and Fox. I can't really criticize Disney for Marvel though because they were the ones that built movie Marvel into this billion dollar franchise. Warner had the advantage of far more big name characters before they even started and have been promoting a few of them for decades.
    Power with Girl is better.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It's probably worth noting also that video game industry has grown larger than the movie and TV industry, I seem to recall, and WB Interactive is doing much better in that space than Disney is, to my knowledge. Too lazy to go look it up though.
    Video Games is the one industry Disney keeps failing at. Disney Interactive never got any major hits and they were quick to close down studios who's games didn't platform to expectation. It's shame as I liked the 2008 Turok reboot and Split/Second.