Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Wick 3

Astonishing Member

Default John Wick 3

Saw it yesterday. Just like the previous two entries this one is another 2hrs of glorious action and mayhem. We finally get some further background details of his life prior to becoming who he is. I also love how each film is constantly adding to the mythology. Can't wait to see where it goes next (let's face it. We are getting a 4th one.)

Anybody else seen it?

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Saw it yesterday. Just like the previous two entries this one is another 2hrs of glorious action and mayhem. We finally get some further background details of his life prior to becoming who he is. I also love how each film is constantly adding to the mythology. Can't wait to see where it goes next (let's face it. We are getting a 4th one.)

Anybody else seen it?
    Bruh if we don't get a 4th I will burn **** down. LOL.

Loved it. Loved Marc Dacoscos (been a fan of his since Only the Strong)

Some things I could knock, sure, but all around another fun installment.

My own review....

Last edited by KabutoRyder; 05-17-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I also love how each film is constantly adding to the mythology.
    Apparently we're getting a TV show on Starz too based on The Continental. Not heard much about it recently, but I remember reading last year that it had been ordered to series with Chris Collins as showrunner, and Keanu Reeves had agreed to appear in it (I'm guessing in cameo appearances rather than being the star).
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Fantastic Member

All i know, is i want a 4th. There is hell to pay lol

Astonishing Member

Halle's TMZ shooting training video is awesome. Wonder if Marc will challenge Wick to cook something? Or fight with pots and pans.

The kills were insane and worth the price of admission alone. When he (and Halle) weren't killing though it felt like the movie was in full "set up spinoff/sequel" mode. And by spinoff I don't mean the series about the Continental. Is Halle's character (Sofia?) getting her own spinoff movie now? I remember that was the plan for her Jinx character in Brosnan's last outing as Bond but that fell through. Maybe this is her second chance at her own series. If that's not the plan sure seemed like it.

Well until this becomes a spoiler thread:

spoilers:
    I'm not sure how I feel about...how can I put it...multiple people we've never heard of before (created just for the story naturally) that wind up helping John. For example, I would have been impressed if John got to Casablanca by himself without going to the Anjelica Huston character. For the supposed boogeyman he has a LOOOOOOTTTT of help here and abroad. He's not necessarily doing anything by himself, he's just damn good once he gets that help/support. Same problem I had with the Taken series, though. Guess its just the nature of the beast. And I'm beyond sick of the cliché of "this person will see you now", sees person, "why should I help you?", helps anyway. This happened, what, three times total?

Plus if Wick didn't know about The Man Who Sits Above The High Table, how come everyone else did, and knew exactly what his return meant? "Ah you're back and if you kill Winston you'll be reinstated" wtf

And I guess Decascos was there just so there would be *a* villain that dies at the end, since the setup doesn't leave much room for a major villain to die. I found him quite annoying and not cool as I had hoped he would be.
    end of spoilers

The mythology is starting to be borderline silly but again, go for the awesome kills and you won't be disappointed.

I think catching up with the first two movies over two nights before seeing this on Friday was a mistake. Because there was a point in Parabellum when I started to feel a little bored. Not for the entire movie, but certainly whenever John was taking out an onslaught of oncoming red-shirts. There's only so many times you can see him do some combination of strike/flip/double-tap to the head over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Fortunately, there were still plenty of original moments in the bigger fights and more than a few occasions where the action would become deliberately ludicrous, which was always welcome.

The same applies for a lot of the dialogue which was smart enough to sometimes be a bit silly. And extra points for using that line, of course.

spoilers:
    As for spoiler stuff, I was also disappointed with Dacascos' underwhelming villain. After everything that had preceded it, the final fight was so blah that I was honestly expecting/hoping for a swerve where it turned out the Adjudicator was the bigger threat and would actually give John a genuinely difficult fight. Instead, it all just kind of fizzled out, just to set up another movie.
    end of spoilers

Also, at what point do we start the debate as to whether John really is a supernatural being? Cos at this point, he clearly has Jason Voorhees/Micheal Myers levels of durability, despite being repeatedly punched, kicked, shot, stabbed, hit by more cars than he's ever driven and... other spoilery things. I suppose the other option is that he's a mutant!
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Ah I'll add this. Again, spoilers:
    spoilers:
    When I left the theater I was shaking my head thinking "Should have shot Winston when you first came back." But the more I thought about it, the more his decision not to shoot him made sense in a way. John basically mistook, or misunderstood, his relationship with Winston. The clue was right there when Winston chose to wage war with the High Table instead of giving up his position as director of The Continental. He see himself as a king, and a king will do anything to uphold his kingship, whether that means relying on friendships, or breaking friendships. Its really no different than being an employee that is buddies with their boss. They may give you certain allowances (in this case, the hour delay he gives John) but they are still your boss and if they have to fire you they will. And to cement that this was a betrayal (depending on how you look at it since IMO Winston was acting in character as I just spelled out) as opposed to a ruse John and Winston set up, look no further than John's conversation with The Bowery King. Its real, Winston acted on his own, trading whatever relationship he had with John for continued directorship and forgiveness from the High Table.

I just found that interesting is all. As much as I like Winston I now can't wait to see John kill him.
    end of spoilers

Action is insane as always, and worth seeing just for that. The plot can be iffy...

spoilers:
    It feels like John's kind of in a similar spot to where he began the movie. Contract's still on his head, trying to survive the table killing him. Only difference is now he's likely going to target the table rather than just trying to survive them

I will say Winston's casual betrayal was shocking, I actually thought John was in on it for the first couple minutes.
    end of spoilers
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member

Chapter 4 has been confirmed. Will come out in May 2021.

The John Wick movies are just so much fun to watch. I am so glad we get these on a regular basis. Cannot wait for chapter 4.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

So far, JW3 is the best movie of the year. But I thought Halle Berry would play a bigger role.

So we're all agreed John Wick 4 should take place entirely in space? Good.

Loved Jason Mantzoukas showing up. Loved this guy since I seen him on The League as Rafi

Anyone have this weird suspicion that there may be something far more...supernatural/mythical going on?

I get that the movie is highly stylized and intentionally over-the-top, but I would not be surprised if this is a story about gods and demons. As in, it could be like the show Supernatural, which started off very small scale and eventually built towards a very epic mythology.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/