Over in another forum somewhere, I asked if anyone else was excited for the news about a new Mortal Kombat movie. First response was, kinda predictably these days, someone complaining about how they would prefer an HBO series. I said I was kinda tired of everyone always saying that such and such should be either a Netflix or HBO series, and they made a comment about how I should accept the "fact" that TV is less likely to screw things up than Hollywood. I made the argument that that's not really true, but only seems so because of these points:

1. Television puts out a lot more product, so it's easier for the crap to get lost and drowned out in the pile. Hollywood films are relatively speaking fewer and far more profile, their failures stick out more.

2. Most people stream video online these days, meaning that they choose what they watch, meaning that they rely far more heavily on reviews, ratings, and word of mouth. This means it's easier to steer clear of crappy television, not that crappy tv isn't there. Films most people see in theaters before most ratings or reviews, never mind that even if you don't watch them you've seen and remembered the marketing (trailers) for them. You don't know what crappy tv is out there, but you do know what crappy films are out there.

3. People are still feeling the exciting newness over victories from Netflix or HBO. But not everything is going to be Game of Thrones. People will be exposed to more and more clunkers on these services over time, and realize it's just as big a crapshoot as television or Hollywood has always been.

So I thought I'd ask you - am I right? Is tv really no better or worse than Hollywood at making entertainment? Or am I just wrong and unwilling to admit that Hollywood sucks now and TV really is a better place for all our nerdy fan franchises?