Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Believing that women should be treated with dignity and respect is naturally going to manifest in how you act in the world.
    True. However, that doesn't mean you are going to dedicate your time to activism.

In other words, a person can think that women and men have the same rights, but that does not necessarily mean that they will actively fight for those rights.

That's why I was curious if you need to realize actions to be considered feminist. Or just your belief is enough.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-31-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Trud. However, that doesn't mean you are going to dedicate your time to activism.

In other words, a person can think that women and men have the same rights, but that does not necessarily mean that they will actively fight for those rights.

That's why I was curious if you need to realize actions to be considered feminist. Or just your belief is enough.
    People can only manifest their activism in so many ways though. There could be any number of causes you support, but you can't go or be a part of all of them. For example, if you attended one of these abortion rallies recently, but never a Black Lives Matter rally, does that mean your apathetic or even against BLM?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    People can only manifest their activism in so many ways though. There could be any number of causes you support, but you can't go or be a part of all of them. For example, if you attended one of these abortion rallies recently, but never a Black Lives Matter rally, does that mean your apathetic or even against BLM?
    Of course, it doesn't mean you are apathetic or against BLM.

I was just curious to know what you need to be considered feminist. Thank you for your answer.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-31-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Wonder Woman is definitely a feminist character. She's like one of the biggest icons. First female superhero who fights for truth, justice and equality. How can she not.

If what Patty says is that she didn't grow up with a feminist mentality, then I agree.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    It matters, they could easily put Aphrodite or Athena or other female goddess. Why Zeus?
    Maybe Patty and DC don't want heavy handed Feminist reference in Wonder Woman
    I'm sure she will be addressed as Zeus's daughter in future movies including Justice League rather than an Amazon or daughter of Hippolyta because her power comes from him.

Already it has happened multiple times comics
    Getting Hippolyta and Antiope right, as they are human characters, is a bigger priority than any of the Gods. it would have been far preferable to use Aphrodite and Athena to Zeus, but if they are just background details like he was in this film, it's not a big deal. Zeus isn't even a character in the plot, so they wouldn't be either.

Lol what future Justice League movies? We're not getting any more of those any time soon.

Who even knows what role the Gods will play in this next movie? It seems pretty focused on whatever is going on with Steve, Cheetah and Maxwell Lord. Meanwhile, Connie Nielson and Robin Wright are confirmed to have roles to play. If we just get a straight up WW adventure story that doesn't bring up her conception either way, who cares about Zeus? I'm not so concerned with him that I will let it drag down the story or view it as rendering the whole thing as anti-feminist. I loved Rucka's Rebirth, and she was Zeus's daughter in that. It just hardly mattered.

Of course, it doesn't mean you are apathetic or against BLM.

I was just curious to know what you need to be considered feminist. Thank you for your answer.
    If you call yourself a feminist, most rational people are not going to contest your claim unless they have good reason to. Its similar to a statement like "I had a cup of coffee today." You could be lying, but, there isn't any reason to doubt your veracity, particularly for such a mundane statement.

People do have various conceptions on what feminism means, but I don't think I've ever heard someone claim, "You aren't a real feminist." If you call yourself a feminist, your probably a feminist.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 06-01-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Political reference removed
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Yeah Zeus creating Amazons was amazing
    Technically the movie said "the gods" created the Amazons, not Zeus specifically.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not saying that the romance between Steve and Diana was handled badly in any way; it's probably the best managed love story in any superhero movie to date. The problem with this scene mostly lies outside the movie itself. You have to look at how coming of age stories are presented for men and for women, and then at the pieces that are part of them. And there is a clear difference there: women's coming of age stories are far more likely to have a relation with a man as a core element. Marriage might not be the explicit end goal anymore, but the tendency is there. For men's coming of age stories, the reverse is not true: you can find plenty of them with no or little relation to a woman.

Wonder Woman the movie only partially conforms to that pattern, in that Diana's coming of age story is much more about her relation to humanity as a whole, but it still includes a consummation of Diana's and Steve's relationship, which is a part of the pattern. Removing those two scenes might not have improved the movie as a movie, but it would IMO have made it a more feminist one.
    The scene has nothing to do with her becoming a woman. I think you just misread it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Feminism is a belief, not an action, so yes, they would be.
    Right, but your actions are based on your beliefs. If you value equality, then you'll live it in your daily life.
    True. However, that doesn't mean you are going to dedicate your time to activism.

It's a category of ideology, so if you believe that ideology to be the right one, then yes.

Of course, feeling the equality is important is not what defines "feminism" in general.

Still to this day, and probably always, the thought of Zeus being WW’s dad will always gross me out. Bring back Aphrodite!
    Last edited by greymoon; 06-03-2019 at 12:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Still to this day, and probably always, the thought of Zeus being WW’s dad will always gross me out. Bring back Aphrodite!
    Tell me about it. Her previous origin is far more unique.

Technically I think Patty Jenkins is correct assuming she's referring to Marston because fundamentally, feminism is about equality.

Marston, however, viewed women as superior to men and that vision morphed into his psychological propaganda that came to be known as Wonder Woman.

Hence, Wonder Woman as conceived by Marston and whose vision Jenkins followed for the most part is not a feminist superhero.

Having said that, obviously opinions will vary but I think it would be a strain to say that Wonder Woman is not feminist given that in the real world (and in fiction for the most part as well) gender parity has yet to become a reality. So, Wonder Woman serves as a proxy for the idea that women are equal and indeed may even be better than men.