Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Diana was born into a world where women inhabit all roles and run everything. Why, exactly, would she be a feminist, given the basic definition of what a feminist is?
    The basic definition that I find is that a feminist is someone who supports feminism. So then we have to find the basic definition of feminism which seems to boil down to a belief in equality of the sexes. So sure, Diana just assumes she's equal to everyone else, because she's never been told different. But then when she comes to man's world, she's told she's not equal, she doesn't have the same rights as the men in the room. And to her that's ridiculous---of course she's equal. So at that moment in the movie, she is a feminist.

And she never lets anyone tell her that she can't do something. Of course she's a feminist--you don't have to call yourself a feminist to do things that support feminism, i.e. the equality of the sexes. But if we stay in the world of the movie, it's hard to believe that, living in Britain and Europe, during the time that women were trying to get the vote, Diana didn't join those women who demonstrated for that right. How could she not support them? Or is it that, being a princess, she somehow believes that only the privileged few have the right to decide for everyone else?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    Are you kidding me... How can you be amazon and not be a faminist... O_o The comsept of amazon is rebeling against men rule for women rights. Amazons are all faminists. Saying Amazons are not faminist is like... Oh they are warriors but they don't fight...lol
    Except for the part where DC redefined Amazons as pawns of their deities, rather than rebelling against men for women's rights. Much of their feminist message was lost in that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Except for the part where DC redefined Amazons as pawns of their deities, rather than rebelling against men for women's rights. Much of their feminist message was lost in that decision.
    The Amazons were never just pawns of their deities.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wonder Woman was faithful to the lore. Depends on what lore you're looking at, because as we all know comic books are not consistent with itself. If Batman's various media pulls things from different sources and adds their own embellishments to create something new, I have to ask why WW should be any different? That's how adaptations work.

I'm sorry you didn't like it, but most people were satisfied with it. Particularly I imagine the Perez fans because the Amazons were lifted directly from that run.
    Oh she and you just forget Amazons were dead woman who died of war and domestic abuse in Man's world that were reincarnated by Female Goddesses in Perez version.

Her lore was always Feminist untill Azzarello destroyed it and made her into generic Hercules character and Amazons into sex pirates.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 05-30-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Oh she and you just forget Amazons were dead woman who died of war and domestic abuse in Man's world that were reincarnated by Female Goddesses in Perez version.

Her lore was always Feminist untill Azzarello destroyed it and made her into generic Hercules character and Amazons into sex pirates.
    I forget nothing, and neither did she likely. You are aware that movies are never a panel for panel recreation, right? No CBM is so I don't get why you think WW needs to adhere precisely to the contradictory source material. Perez can still be the main inspiration without the reincarnated cavewoman angle, which sucked anyway.

It's a good thing she isn't a generic Hercules character and the Amazons aren't sex pirates in the movie...

I forget nothing, and neither did she likely. You are aware that movies are never a panel for panel recreation, right? No CBM is so I don't get why you think WW needs to adhere precisely to the contradictory source material. Perez can still be the main inspiration without the reincarnated cavewoman angle, which sucked anyway.

It's a good thing she isn't a generic Hercules character and the Amazons aren't sex pirates in the movie...
    Yeah Zeus creating Amazons was amazing

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Yeah Zeus creating Amazons was amazing
    In a throwaway exposition dump scene that took up very little screen time and doesn't really matter.

Zeus is also not a character on screen played by an actor. All the material for who raised Diana and shaped her beliefs is given to her mother and aunt, as it should be.

In a throwaway exposition dump scene that took up very little screen time and doesn't really matter.

Zeus is also not a character on screen played by an actor. All the material for who raised Diana and shaped her beliefs is given to her mother and aunt, as it should be.
    It matters, they could easily put Aphrodite or Athena or other female goddess. Why Zeus?
    Maybe Patty and DC don't want heavy handed Feminist reference in Wonder Woman
    I'm sure she will be addressed as Zeus's daughter in future movies including Justice League rather than an Amazon or daughter of Hippolyta because her power comes from him.

Already it has happened multiple times comics
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 05-30-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Fantastic Member

I have to say I really don't know what a feminist is or what they want anymore!! Women should be treated as equal, women should receive equal pay and women are equal to men in everyway!! But it seem being a feminist now means women should hate man, being marry to a man and having children by a man is a crime against women kind!! All man are the enemy!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 05-31-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I have to say I really don't know what a feminist is or what they want anymore!! Women should be treated as equal, women should receive equal pay and women are equal to men in ever way!! But it seem being a feminist now means women should hate man, being marry to a man and having children by a man is a crime against women kind!! All man are the enemy!!
    The former.

Unfortunately, those who are against feminism paint feminists as the latter

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Amazons were never just pawns of their deities.
    We interpret it differently.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    The former.

Unfortunately, those who are against feminism paint feminists as the latter
    To be fair, there are some people who call themselves "feminists", but they have the later ideas. Then, the meaning of the word is confused or distorted.

A question, if a person think "Women should be treated as equal, women should receive equal pay and women are equal to men in ever way!!", but they don't do anything (they aren't activists). Would they be feminists?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    To be fair, there are some people who call themselves "feminists", but they have the later ideas. Then, the meaning of the word is confused or distorted.

A question, if a person think "Women should be treated as equal, women should receive equal pay and women are equal to men in ever way!!", but they don't do anything (they aren't activists). Would they be feminists?
    Feminism is a belief, not an action, so yes, they would be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Feminism is a belief, not an action, so yes, they would be.
    Thank you for the answer. I had had that doubt for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

Believing that women should be treated with dignity and respect is naturally going to manifest in how you act in the world.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut