Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think most writers and editors at least try and find something they like in every character, but sometimes you get a character you just don't care for. This may be a perfectly fine, even popular character, but you just have never really cared for them.

For me, these could include Jean Grey, Professor X, Hawkeye, Beast, or Nick Fury. I would be just plain mean to these characters.
    There are characters I don't feel close to… But I never hate a character.
    So it surprises me greatly when I see someone doing it.

Otherwise, I have a question about Hickman that many seem to know better than I do:
    has he any sense of humour?
    Last edited by Zelena; 07-13-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Otherwise, I have a question about Hickman that many seem to know better than I do:
    Some people say he doesn't. But he's the guy that wrote Peter Parker going into his bathroom and finding this:

Hickman is not Spencer or Duggan precisely but occasionally writes funny things, especially with black humor.

You just have to read his Twitter to know that he can be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    There are characters I don't feel close to… But I never hate a character.
    So it surprises me greatly when I see someone doing it.

He does, he has two pretty good panels when Tony went ro recruit Logan and Peter in his Avengers.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Hickman is not Spencer or Duggan precisely but occasionally writes funny things, especially with black humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    He does, he has two pretty good panels when Tony went ro recruit Logan and Peter in his Avengers.
    From the little I read, he seems to have a soft spot for tragedy and gruesome situations.
    I hope he will able to channel his sense of humor to balance his gory side.

Extraordinary Member

He really is great with epicness and tragedy and even horror, but what made even Secret Wars something special was that even in the face of horrific tragedy, it never totally felt hopeless. Hickman was clearly having fun and it rarely felt like he was just torturing people to torture them. The one character he did do poorly was Cyclops, but even that didn't feel totally out of left field because he had built Doom up so much beforehand.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

He really is great with epicness and tragedy and even horror, but what made even Secret Wars something special was that even in the face of horrific tragedy, it never totally felt hopeless. Hickman was clearly having fun and it rarely felt like he was just torturing people to torture them. The one character he did do poorly was Cyclops, but even that didn't feel totally out of left field because he had built Doom up so much beforehand.
    With Cyclops, Hickman hinted in interviews that there was editorial interference there, which is further indicated by the fact that teen Jean (almost certainly his original chosen for PF host) was on the covers, but didn't show up in the series; with that and the delay without any reason for UXM #600, my guess is that Marvel had decided to double down on the "Cyclops was wrong/evil" with the "Cyclops is Hitler" post-SW and wanted to bury a more heroic portrayal (remember UXM #600 was released on the same day as EXM #1 and barely advertised).

Yeah, that tweet confirms that something will be announced at SDCC. Doesn't confirm that it's an X book though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I did not find Hickman writing Cyclops wrong in Times Runs Out or Secret Wars. He was practically the only hero apart from Sunspot and Doctor Strange with a plan to try to stop the Incursions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I guess a new Wolverine solo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I did not find Hickman writing Cyclops wrong in Times Runs Out or Secret Wars. He was practically the only hero apart from Sunspot and Doctor Strange with a plan to try to stop the Incursions.
    I don't think they were talking about the characterization it was nice to see that the X-men weren't just fiddling while Rome burned but also had their own plan for survival (I also like to point out that Nation X and seemingly made Cyclops the leader of it). I think it's just the fact that after becoming the Phoenix host he unceremoniously gets his neck snapped by Doom and that the end of his involvement of the story.

I agree with the poster above that it reeks of editorial meddling at the time the Inhumans were getting a big push by Marvel and as a consequence the X-men, especially Cyclops, were treated like the red headed stepchild.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Post from Dauterman.
    https://twitter.com/rdauterman/statu...68180284428288

We got his Emma. So mystery on who this character may be and if he's doing an X-book or just cover work.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 07-13-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Some people say he doesn't. But he's the guy that wrote Peter Parker going into his bathroom and finding this:

As much as I enjoyed Secret Wars, I believe this was Hickman's finest hour.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Post from Dauterman.
    https://twitter.com/rdauterman/statu...68180284428288

We got his Emma. So mystery on who this character may be and if he's doing an X-book or just cover work.
    This could easily be the Colossus/Magik lady of steel character, although I guess it might be She-Hulk as well.