Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

While I don't want to bum anyone out, Mann is the artist on an upcoming Tom King series that will probably take up at least a year.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I doubt that Mann will return to Marvel. He is a star at DC. It seems Marvel don`t care for their artist as much as DC.
    Hard to blame him. Marvel gave him Gambit, DC gave him Batman...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I doubt that Mann will return to Marvel. He is a star at DC. It seems Marvel don`t care for their artist as much as DC.
    You're not wrong. DC seems to really value their artists, particularly for flagship books. Marvel seems to struggle to keep the same artist for an ongoing, an arc and sometimes even an issue. Given the art is such a huge part of the comic/graphic novel medium, Marvel should be pushing to keep A-List artists on their biggest books. Occasionally I'll even pick up a book with lackluster writing if the art is topnotch.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I don't want to bum anyone out, Mann is the artist on an upcoming Tom King series that will probably take up at least a year.
    Is that the Batman/Catwoman title? And it's a bit of a bummer, but fully understandable. It certainly doesn't stop me from enjoying his DC books anyways (a shame Heroes in Crisis fell short)

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Hard to blame him. Marvel gave him Gambit, DC gave him Batman...
    I mean, Gambit's pretty lovable. But yeah, it's not quite the same. Very few artists would pass up a flagship Batman book.

I think Ariela Kristantina is a good up and coming artist that I'd like to see on one of the relaunches. She's maybe not ready to be the anchor of a book, certainly not yet in name recognition, but I think she'd deserve a shot. Though, she's going to be doing a new series at Humanoids, so that's looking pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Gods I hope so. Russel Dauterman, Oliver Coipel & Clay Mann are probably my trio of favourite modern Marvel artists. If any of them land on an X-Book I'll be ecstatic. I believe Mann is DC exclusive for the moment, but he just might make his way back if given a sweet enough offer.
    I always thought that Clay Mann and Olivier Coipel would make a really natural art team for a book. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Coipel do some work at DC...

Comic Geek in General

What if Immomen.......his style has improved since the days of Superman, and he did draw X-Men (Time Displaced Original 5) for a time......maybe they need to lure someone of Perez’ calibur, or someone who’s reminds many of Neal Adams.......heck, draw some from Image (the irony of that is kinda funny) or IDW.......or lure any of the pencilers from the lines earlier days in (Smith, JR JR, Simmonsen, Kubert, Yu, Dodson, Churchill), plus those who worked on X Clones (Grummet, Nauck) or Titans......(Daniel, Barretto)it’s clear Marvel needs to rebuild their art department to where it was, before they started the more controversial editorial calls which downgraded the X Teams in favor of Inhumans, somehow made Danvers indistinguishable in gender, crammed Bendis’ more controversial characters down our throats........

Spectacular Member

Mann is an incredibly talented artist and I wish him all the best. While I agree that he deserves to draw high-calibre books, I do have to admit that I loved that he drew Gambit - a hot character doing hot things in a hot book drawn by an EXTREMELY hot artist. If only Marvel had allowed Asmus to reveal Gambit as bisexual... One day...

Similarly, I hope Oscar Bazaldua will stick around to draw X-Books. He was great at Mr and Mrs X. I know he's doing Loki next, but hopefully that won't last

Luckily, comics artists hassling with Marvel seems to be done. It was a big problem under Alonso, and Cebulski is great with artists. There’s a reason Gleason went to Marvel and not Valiant or Image after deciding to not re-up his DC contract.

And Bazaldua is... okay? I think he’ll do great on Loki, but he draws everyone like a teen (also, D’Armata’s coloring is such a bad fit for him). It’s weird. If Loki doesn’t work out (though I suspect it will, Loki fans are quiet but they come out and buy his shit and are good hypemen for it). I kinda want him to go to DC and draw Young Justice or Teen Titans.

Immonen is doing an Instagram comic with his wife while they live off that Millarworld/Netflix money.

Coipel is too slow.

I still say Camuncoli is involved. I’d love if after, like, year and a half or so of Spider-Man, Gleason pulled Mahnke over to Marvel and they started drawing X-Men.

Comic Geek in General

Any other writers/ artists should be a fit here? I doubt the likes of Claremont (who I’m sure Marvel won’t bring back) Johns (a pipe dream, as he’s over in DC exclusively), Abnett, Lanning, Starlin are too associated with Cosmic Marvel, Larson still does Image, as well as Kirkman, Roberts is more associated with Transformers than human characters, Furman has done Marvel Heroes, but not X Books, Lobdell is over in DC, I doubt Kelly or Seagle would come back, after Editorial messed with their plans.......likewise I don’t see Marvel getting High Profile Writers to work alongside Hickman (I think, for all I know they’re lining up veteran writers and artists to work in concert with Hickman.......)

All I ask is that the new writers don’t kill more X Members off a Issue or hav conflicting takes on the more well known characters......

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    the likes of Claremont, Abnett, Lanning, Starlin, Larson, Kirkman, Lobdell Kelly or Seagle
    there's no reason to bring any older talent like that

Geoff Johns was my #1 choice for the X-books together with Hickman... who knows, maybe in a few years.

Rick Remender is another writer who I'd definitely love to have back on an X-book, I think he'd be perfect for the Wolverine solo, for example.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Kirkman already did Ultimate X-men, and no sane person that read that wants him in the 616. Held me back from reading TWD for years, because I thought no way this guy can write anything good.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Kirkman already did Ultimate X-men, and no sane person that read that wants him in the 616. Held me back from reading TWD for years, because I thought no way this guy can write anything good.
    I was the same with Jeff Lemire. I wasn't overly familiar with his DC work and mostly knowing him from Extraordinary X-Men I wasn't too keen on trying Black Hammer or Descender. Thankfully I did and discovered a wonderful writer who just wasn't that great on the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I was the same with Jeff Lemire. I wasn't overly familiar with his DC work and mostly knowing him from Extraordinary X-Men I wasn't too keen on trying Black Hammer or Descender. Thankfully I did and discovered a wonderful writer who just wasn't that great on the X-Men.
    That's like Aaron, who went from Wolverine and the X-Men to Thor.

Maybe the X-Men are cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post

IVX was pitched by Editors and forced on Lemire's Extraordinary. That book was lame but I think it was mostly Editor`s fault.

I hope Hickman`s relaunch will be good because it is something that writer sujested and were not just forced by editors.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 06-04-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post

Nah, Lemire's best independent work is much, much better than Aaron's best work. No comparison there.

I also personally don't care for Aaron's Thor, apart from the fantastic God Butcher arc.