Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Some time ago they said that Gambit and Rogue were going to be in a team they had never been before and the main theory was X-Force.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Rosenberg's "favorites" are Havok and Magik, and he's writing both like he's never heard of them before. Hickman's favorite Avenger is Captain America, and wrote him trying to kill Tony Stark as the universe ended. Hickman's run as Black Panther is reviled by BP fans, and that's another of his "favorites". Liking a character and doing anything meaningful are two entirely different things. Unless Hickman completely contradicts Rosenberg's run, which would be astoundingly outside the norm for a big name like Rosenberg, Emma is setup to barely exist as an obstacle to be destroyed.
    Hickman said he wasn't a fan of avengers and FF, but he really is a big x-men fan; So Cap might be is favorite avenger, but that doesn't mean a lot.
    Never hear complaints about Hickman writing on BP
    Rosenberg isn't a big name, he is new on comics, he still starting on Marvel. Hickman is writing for Marvel for 10 years.
    She is his 2nd favorite mutant, c'mon give him some benefit of doubt. He was gushing about her on his x-men monday
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Are we getting mad because Emma's a scene stealer? She is hardly the vortex of storylines in comparison to other heavily popular characters.

I say this as someone who hasn't really enjoyed Emma much in the past decade.
    she is used to steal scenes, roles, leaderships...
    Last edited by spirit2011; 07-12-2019 at 08:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Hickman seems like one of those writers who can make themselves like a character. Or more accurately, he is able to find something he likes in the characters he writes, even if they aren't his favorites to begin with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    What was wrong with Hickman's Black Panther? I thought he was cool
    Speaking as someone who's favorite character is Black Panther I personally don't have a problem with it. But it's a bit of stretch to say that BP fans loved Hickman's run. It's divisive because there are many who feel that the book was another deconstruction of his character that made him responsible for everything that went wrong with Wakanda. He basically let his sister abdicate the throne by wasting her life and his kingdom was destroyed, in large part because of his need for revenge and because he was too arrogant.

But the other side (myself included) argue that everyone took a hit in that run and that Attilan and Atlantis were also destroyed. So it's not like T'Challa was singled out and was the only one to have his worst personality traits put on full display. The entire book was about analyzing the conceit of rich, powerful heroes deciding fate and it blew up in everyone's face to one degree or another. Don't know if I'd want Hickman to write Black Panther, but he did put focus on him.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Speaking as someone who's favorite character is Black Panther I personally don't have a problem with it. But it's a bit of stretch to say that BP fans loved Hickman's run. It's divisive because there are many who feel that the book was another deconstruction of his character that made him responsible for everything that went wrong with Wakanda. He basically let his sister abdicate the throne by wasting her life and his kingdom was destroyed, in large part because of his need for revenge and because he was too arrogant.

But the other side (myself included) argue that everyone took a hit in that run and that Attilan and Atlantis were also destroyed. So it's not like T'Challa was singled out and was the only one to have his worst personality traits put on full display. The entire book was about analyzing the conceit of rich, powerful heroes deciding fate and it blew up in everyone's face to one degree or another. Don't know if I'd want Hickman to write Black Panther, but he did put focus on him.
    Nice explanation, thanks.

Fantastic Member

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like how Larroca draws Alex Summers. He looks like a total Chad.

Conversely, I thought his Karma was great. That one panel in 13(maybe) where shes sitting next to Dani with a sly grin was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that I don't like how Larroca draws Alex Summers. He looks like a total Chad.

Conversely, I thought his Karma was great. That one panel in 13(maybe) where shes sitting next to Dani with a sly grin was beautiful.
    Counterpoint: He also acts as a chad

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Hickman said he wasn't a fan of avengers and FF, but he really is a big x-men fan; So Cap might be is favorite avenger, but that doesn't mean a lot.
    Never hear complaints about Hickman writing on BP
    Rosenberg isn't a big name, he is new on comics, he still starting on Marvel. Hickman is writing for Marvel for 10 years.
    She is his 2nd favorite mutant, c'mon give him some benefit of doubt. He was gushing about her on his x-men monday

Imagine believing this hickman lie.

Writing comics is like any other job, you don't do only what you like.

A good professional writer won't deliver a bad work just because he doesn't like the characters or the plot that editors want him to tell.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post

A good professional writer won't deliver a bad work just because he doesn't like the characters or the plot editorial want him to tell.
    And sadly that is not the case today. Writers & Editors are as biased as fans can be, and it shows in their work with the preferential treatment some characters get, and other character being written complete inaccurately, or just plain character assassinated, just to sell their personal narrative.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post

A good professional writer won't deliver a bad work just because he doesn't like the characters or the plot that editors want him to tell.
    I wish that was true, and it probably is most of the time, but all the time? No, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    And sadly that is not the case today. Writers & Editors are as biased as fans can be, and it shows in their work with the preferential treatment some characters get, and other character being written complete inaccurately, or just plain character assassinated, just to sell their personal narrative.
    I'm well aware of writers favoring thair faves and screwing the rest. It's awful when Editors indulge them.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Because Polaris will be there in a role somewhat comparable to the last couple years. If my prediction is right, Emma will be there to be an evil obstacle for the X-Men to overcome, and that's it.
    We haven't seen anything to indicate this. However, if she was in such a role, that would be worse than your concern. At least being an evil obstacle means the character is valued as a potential threat. For Lorna, her primary use has been as a status booster for various men, with efforts to gradually force Havok back onto her and reduce her to a role beneath him.

I do sympathize with how you don't want your fave to be reduced from her full potential and development, into a shallow archetype, though. I hope that doesn't happen to Emma just as I don't want it to happen to Lorna. Yet still, Emma has a definite spot in proceedings while there's nothing to confirm Lorna is anywhere in any of this. The only thing we've seen that implies her involvement won't be what people think it is.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    We haven't seen anything to indicate this. However, if she was in such a role, that would be worse than your concern. At least being an evil obstacle means the character is valued as a potential threat. For Lorna, her primary use has been as a status booster for various men, with efforts to gradually force Havok back onto her and reduce her to a role beneath him.

I do sympathize with how you don't want your fave to be reduced from her full potential and development, into a shallow archetype, though. I hope that doesn't happen to Emma just as I don't want it to happen to Lorna. Yet still, Emma has a definite spot in proceedings while there's nothing to confirm Lorna is anywhere in any of this. The only thing we've seen that implies her involvement won't be what people think it is.
    To avoid OT discussion in this thread, there's another thread for this.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Or-Not-Appear
    The entire Not appear vs. Appearing Badly

Extraordinary Member

I think most writers and editors at least try and find something they like in every character, but sometimes you get a character you just don't care for. This may be a perfectly fine, even popular character, but you just have never really cared for them.

For me, these could include Jean Grey, Professor X, Hawkeye, Beast, or Nick Fury. I would be just plain mean to these characters.