Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I agree with you. When I was a kid, I used to love the editors notes because it told me where to get the rest of the information or reference, then going to my local comic shop I knew exactly which issue to look for. Now, it's like, here's some info, if you want the rest go find it yourself.
    It was also nice because when the characters made references you didn't get, the book was acknowledging that your confusion was natural.

Nowadays if you get stuck on a reference to some past event you didn't read, you're just left to feel like an idiot.

It's absurd to me that they don't have editor's notes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    How often do people refer to the story by the number anymore it is often the arc since stories are told over 6 or so issues not one or two like the old days.
    And that is another problem with comics nowadays. How can a person just pick up a comic nowadays and get an issue that is in the middle of a story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Ok, so I'm a hardcore comic fan/collector, and even I have a hard time keeping up with all the renumberings and title changes comics are constantly going through. So out of curiosity, and because I'm a nut, I sometimes google random comic characters/titles to try and figure out just how many titles they've had over the years. This morning I chose to check out the punisher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...unisher_titles

The dude is on Volume 10! That's crazy to me....how can a company, either Marvel, DC, Image whatever...sit there and say renumbering and such is a good thing. There is no way a casual reader will pick up a random comic and figure out what story they're going to get. Major comic companies, please heed my words...if you're going to continue to renumber/retitle comics you NEED to do it as follows.

The Punisher #1 Vol.10

Don't you guys think it would benefit the companies AND READERS old and new if they started printing the Volume number next to or below the issue number?
    The problem is that volume numbers are sometimes debatable. For example: Both Wolverine and Punisher had miniseries before having ongoing series. Some people count those as volume one, but others don't, and count the first ongoing as volume one. The Silver Surfer, Captain Marvel and Wonder Man have all had one-shot comics - do they count as a volume for the purposes of keeping track of which volume number we are currently at? What about She-Hulk? She had two volumes with prefixes (Savage and Sensational) before having just a title that was just plain She-Hulk - some people count those as She-Hulks vol 1 and 2 (arguing that we don't call the first Iron Man title Invincible Iron Man, despite that prefix appearing on many (but not all) issues in the run), others insist that Savage and Sensational She-Hulk are separate titles and that She-Hulk vol.1 is the one that came out in 2004 - but then issue #3 of the next adjectiveless She-Hulk (vol 2/2005 on) series was numbered as #100, clearly counting Savage and Sensational as part of the overall She-Hulk run to achieve that numbering. Or what about comics that change their titles part way through a run?

It's too subjective. As long as people disagree regarding how to figure out which volume a title is on, there's little point trying to use them.