Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Akiva Schaffer To Direct Disney's Live-Action/CGI Chip'N'Dale: Rescue Rangers

Disney’s feature film reimagining of Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers has found its director.

Akiva Schaffer, one-third of Lonely Island along with Andy Samberg and Jorma Taccone, has closed a deal to direct the studio’s live-action/CG hybrid take on Rescue Rangers, featuring the classic chipmunk duo.

David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman, who produced The Muppets as well as Beauty and the Beast for the studio, are producing the project, whose distribution path is unclear. It may end up a theatrical release or could head to Disney+, the company’s upcoming streaming service that launches later this year.

Chip ‘n Dale have been tormenting various Disney characters since 1943 but got a makeover in in 1989 with Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers. The show saw Chip, the brains behind the pair, and Dale, the goofball, running a detective agency and helping animal clients. Disney made three seasons' worth of shows that then ran in syndication for the next decade on The Disney Channel.

Plot details for Rangers are being squirreled away, but it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool. Dan Gregor and Doug Mand wrote the script.

That meta take could prove to be perfect match in the hands of Schaffer, who with his Lonely Island cohorts made classic digital shorts for Saturday Night Live, both as writer and director. He also co-directed the mockumentary Popstar: Never Stop Stopping, acclaimed Hulu comedy Pen15, and off-the-wall sketch comedy series I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson. Schaffer is repped by UTA and Ziffren Brittenham.

Execs Louie Provost and Jessica Virtue are overseeing for the studio, Alex Young is shepherding for Mandeville Films/TV.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...haffer-1211757

Ok kind of looking forward to this use to watch Rescue Rangers as a kid.

BANNED

I've followed the fanbase for years, they've treated it so well it's as if the franchise never went off the air. I loved the "Of Mice and Mayhem" graphic novel published online, and there was of course the official BOOM comic which made a lot of fanon theories canon.

when I first heard this I thought it was just a chip and dale movie, but rescue rangers could work.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Ultimate Member

Well, since it's not ripping off a pre-existing movie and screwing the animators, I might be tempted to watch this

I enjoyed Rescue rangers as a kid. Shame that it isn't Detective Agency. That was a brilliant concept. If i hear good/great things i may check it out.

~Theres no case too big ,or case too small. When you need help just call. Chchchchch Chip and dale, rescue rangers, chchchch chip and dale when theres danger ~

That's all I remember from the theme song but I loved that show as a kid. Monterey Jack would turn into a crack head when he smelled cheese. Lol when I saw the headline I thought it was rescuers down under or whatever that movie was they were remaking. Hate that movie but I loved this show.

Now someone just needs to convince Dinsey to remake Gargoyles in live action. RDJ gonna be too old to play Zanatos soon and something gonna happen to Keith David's voice if they dont hurry lol.

Niffleheim

I don't care how awful this turns out to be I'm going to love every second of this.

I can get to some degree the live action remakes of their animated classics, but Chip N' Dale seem kind of random.

Not that I'm personally against it, mind you...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can get to some degree the live action remakes of their animated classics, but Chip N' Dale seem kind of random.
    It often ranks highly in people's top lists for revivals, and they did try to resuscitate it earlier this decade with the BOOM comics

BANNED

I fear this given Disney Live action movie list thus far. Lets hope they treat this series with proper respect it deserves. I mean I enjoy Rescue Rangers too as it is one of the few Disney properties that is ORIGINAL within the company itself.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They better still have Chip and Dale dressed up like Indiana Jones and Magnum PI.

a meta take? What could that possibly mean? probably nothing good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Well, since it's not ripping off a pre-existing movie and screwing the animators, I might be tempted to watch this
    Animators are still hired for the live-action movies...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Animators are still hired for the live-action movies...
    https://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-...ewing-workers/

Please see Number 3