All-New Member

Default Would it benefit Marvel Studios to re-release movies into theaters?

I've noticed that movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe have never been released into theaters more than once. Other major films like Titanic and The Dark Knight have had multiple releases with varying degrees of success. This got me thinking: would it benefit Marvel Studious to re-release a film before (say) a major sequel?

For example, re-releasing Avengers: Infinity War before the Avengers: Endgame premiere would probably make the latter even more successful while also bringing in considerable additional revenue for the former. Is there any reason MCU movies have been limited to one release?

A reason for them not to currently is Netflix. They would get more people there then they would in a theater even with Netflix cut.

In the future Disney + where the company will profit 100%.

Sidenote: With this move to streaming services we very well may be seeing the beginning of the last days of movie theaters before our very eyes. It would take a few years for the move takes full hold but the potential is there. Hope it's not the case but finically speaking it would make more sense. But we will see.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-18-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    A reason for them not to currently is Netflix. They would get more people there then they would in a theater even with Netflix cut.

In the future Disney + where the company will profit 100%.

Sidenote: With this move to streaming services we very well may be seeing the beginning of the last days of movie theaters before our very eyes. It would take a few years for the move takes full hold but the potential is there. Hope it's not the case but finically speaking it would make more sense. But we will see.
    Good! I’d rather watch stuff from the comforts of home rather than in a room full of people who have no idea how to act in public.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

They have re-released the movies for marathons before Infinity War and Endgame.

But, whether it benefits Marvel is a bit of a side point. I don't see why it would benefit theaters.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    They have re-released the movies for marathons before Infinity War and Endgame.

But, whether it benefits Marvel is a bit of a side point. I don't see why it would benefit theaters.
    It benefits the theaters because it would bring in more revenue. Between the ticket fee (even decreased), snacks, and whatever else the theater might sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Good! I’d rather watch stuff from the comforts of home rather than in a room full of people who have no idea how to act in public.
    You can still do that now. But for those who actually enjoy the cinema and the millions of people who depend on them to feed their families it will be a fairly large loss.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-18-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Boisterously Confused

Give it ten years

It benefits the theaters because it would bring in more revenue. Between the ticket fee (even decreased), snacks, and whatever else the theater might sell.
    Is it going to bring in more money than a brand new film would?

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Is it going to bring in more money than a brand new film would?
    In most cases no. But if you have a lower selling film that can be swapped out with a popular film during a slow day during the week, then yes it could. Or let say its the anniversary of film recognized as a classic in the industry then there is another opportunity to bring in revenue.

The Death of an actor or Director noted for a film or films theres opportunity there.
    Another would be a long series like the MCU being played out until the next installment airs that week.
    Films known for their holiday theme.

So on and So on can bring in revenue that theaters may have not gotten otherwise.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-19-2019 at 06:31 AM.

iMan 42s

The only issues with doing something like this is that as important as the MCU is to theater, there isn't much incentive to do that. You also got to remember that Disney will have access to its own streaming platform and Hulu. Not to mention streaming sites like Amazon, Sony and the Microsoft store to make money off of among others. There really isn't much reason to re-release those films.

I don't doubt this sort of thing happens, but it doesn't work for Marvel Studios and Disney being it's a yearly release schedule it will cut into profit margins. That and you actually need theaters who will carry a movie twice especially following a DVD/Blu-ray release. It's much cheaper to just pick up the DVD or stream it, and it's cheaper the further you get away from the theatrical run.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

In most cases no. But if you have a lower selling film that can be swapped out with a popular film during a slow day during the week, then yes it could. Or let say its the anniversary of film recognized as a classic in the industry then there is another opportunity to bring in revenue.

The Death of an actor or Director noted for a film or films theres opportunity there.
    Another would be a long series like the MCU being played out until the next installment airs that week.
    Films known for their holiday theme.

So on and So on can bring in revenue that theaters may have not gotten otherwise.
    Right, but, as I pointed out, they do release them in theaters on special occasions when they think it'll make the most money. They don't release it when they don't think that.

With streaming being so common I can see theaters really diminish unfortunately. I like the experience of going out to watch a big movie. Sitting at home just isn’t special. Then again, I like going to malls. Lol!! I hate doing so much from home.

I could see Marvel films being rereleased in 10 years or so. Maybe key ones. That should be close enough that there’s still nostalgia for the films. I know they did a limited release with the 70’s Superman last year but that was a 40th anniversary which I think is a bit too long to attract audiences.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 05-19-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Right, but, as I pointed out, they do release them in theaters on special occasions when they think it'll make the most money. They don't release it when they don't think that.
    If you notice I was only referring to the bold.

Replaying "old" films does help and play into the revenue streams of several theaters across the country.

All-New Member

I recently thought of another reason a studio might re-release a film: to beat box office records. For example, if Avengers: Endgame doesn't beat Avatar globally this time, then it probably would with a re-release. However, revenue probably matters more to companies than box office rankings.

Boisterously Confused

You can still do that now. But for those who actually enjoy the cinema and the millions of people who depend on them to feed their families it will be a fairly large loss.
    Theaters don't make much on tickets, it's all about concessions. Especially with expected big sellers, with inflated prices, the studios require huge percentages of those revenues.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Theaters don't make much on tickets, it's all about concessions. Especially with expected big sellers, with inflated prices, the studios require huge percentages of those revenues.
    This is true. But it's only for the first month or two depending on the film. After that the theater keeps whatever they bring in.