Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Lesser Known Comics as Good as DKR and Watchmen

A few weeks ago I put a trade paperback collection of a 4 issue Deadshot miniseries written by John Ostrander on hold at my library. I was rather reluctant at first, because considering it was published in the eighties, while that period definitely was a great one for comics, there was also a high chance it could've ended up being rather slapdash and dated l. Little did I know truly how superb this aforementioned Deadshot mini was going to be. The characterization was so good that it could have kickstarted a Deadshot ongoing that had decades of potential. Ostrander transformed Deadshot into a character with so much sickening tragedy that it would make Garth Ennis blush. It was that brilliant. Already it is cemented in my mind as one of the greatest superhero comics I have ever read, among the lines of Watchmen, Mike Grell's Green Arrow, and the New Teen Titans.

That brings me to the topic of this thread. What DC Comics that you consider to be up there with the greats, that don't get as much attention as they should?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    A few weeks ago I put a trade paperback collection of a 4 issue Deadshot miniseries written by John Ostrander on hold at my library. I was rather reluctant at first, because considering it was published in the eighties, while that period definitely was a great one for comics, there was also a high chance it could've ended up being rather slapdash and dated l. Little did I know truly how superb this aforementioned Deadshot mini was going to be. The characterization was so good that it could have kickstarted a Deadshot ongoing that had decades of potential. Ostrander transformed Deadshot into a character with so much sickening tragedy that it would make Garth Ennis blush. It was that brilliant. Already it is cemented in my mind as one of the greatest superhero comics I have ever read, among the lines of Watchmen, Mike Grell's Green Arrow, and the New Teen Titans.

That brings me to the topic of this thread. What DC Comics that you consider to be up there with the greats, that don't get as much attention as they should?
    John Ostrander's Suicide Squad got a lot of lip service sent its way when that crappy movie got released, but I think that stands up as one of the best runs DC produced during the '80s. It went on too long (probably should have ended with the death of a certain lead character that ended up being reversed later anyways), but is a solid comic.

Superman: Secret Identity. One of the best Superman stories ever made, and ironically Superman (Kal-El) isn't even a character in it. I read this once a year and just feel good afterwards.

I'd probably also toss the first dozen tpb's or so of Fables in there. I wouldn't call the series "underrated", it seems to get all the credit it deserves, but I rarely (if ever) see it mentioned in the same paragraph as something like DKR.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

- The Wild Storm

The 1997 Unknown Soldier Vertigo limited series

Also, one guy's grumble...

TDNR isn't on the same level as Watchmen. No one should be grouping them on some level that other comics should aspire to. TDNR is solid, but not on that level.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Superman: Secret Identity. One of the best Superman stories ever made,
    Absolutely.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Also, one guy's grumble...

TDNR isn't on the same level as Watchmen. No one should be grouping them on some level that other comics should aspire to. TDNR is solid, but not on that level.
    I agree. I don't think very much of the Dark Knight Returns, or quite frankly any of Frank Miller's comic work for that matter. In contrast I think Watchmen is a masterpiece that infinitely outshines even Frank Miller's best work.

Nevertheless both are considered to be equals, not by me, but by the comic industry.

A lesser known work is the first few issues of Robert Loren Fleming's Thriller. Pretty much the issues that the original team did were wonderful. It also serves as being a lesser known work. Truthfully, the cluster**** this series became when creators changed hurt the package as a whole, but the first few (seven or eight) were exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    John Ostrander's Suicide Squad got a lot of lip service sent its way when that crappy movie got released, but I think that stands up as one of the best runs DC produced during the '80s. It went on too long (probably should have ended with the death of a certain lead character that ended up being reversed later anyways), but is a solid comic.
    Agree about Ostrander & Yale's run being a solid read. I would also add their "Oracle: Year One" from Batman Chronicles #5.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It doesn't get as much attention but Alan Moore's run on Supreme. It's basically the SA Superman run through the nineties. It even has a tongue in cheek take on the constant reboots.
    Assassinate Putin!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Alan Moore's SWAMP THING beats both of those out.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

James Robinson's Starman is a modern superhero comic masterpiece.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    James Robinson's Starman is a modern superhero comic masterpiece.
    Completely agree.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

The really interesting part of this thread is where you draw the line that "Lesser Known..." is on the other side of.

To me...

- Ostrander/Suicide Squad
    - Robinson/Starman
    - Moore/Swamp Thing

are all straight up "High Profile" compared to something like Superman: Secret Identity.

Seems like seven or eight out of ten folks who read comics would know about those three runs.

Speaking of that...

I would say that the "New52" Dial H run that China Mieville wrote is absolutely in this category. That said, it always seems to me like folks must know about it.

The Open-Window Man and the kid issue is still one of the all-time greats.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 05-20-2019 at 02:13 AM.