Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Hickman's X-men: The Return of the Phoenix?

Now it's no secret that Hickman likes to make use of Sci fi concepts he did it with FF and his Avengers run and I for one think he does a bang up job when he gets to play with the more obscure cosmic marvel characters (Captain Universe, Beyonders, Franklin Richard, Living Tribunal, etc.) and for a majority of them he really nails their sense of other worldliness you really get a sense that these are being outside of are scope of human understanding but even then he injects a certain dose of humanity into them like with Captain Universe and her daughter.

Basically will Hickman's X-Men be a return from the Phoenix's fall from grace? The Phoenix concept has unfortunately been a victim of Marvel's overexposure (both in and out of comics) and less than competent writers who don't really care about it's history or even basic continuity. With Jean Grey back from the dead we all know Marvel won't be able to resist eventually putting the two together again and who better make it happen (currently) than Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Now it's no secret that Hickman likes to make use of Sci fi concepts he did it with FF and his Avengers run and I for one think he does a bang up job when he gets to play with the more obscure cosmic marvel characters (Captain Universe, Beyonders, Franklin Richard, Living Tribunal, etc.) and for a majority of them he really nails their sense of other worldliness you really get a sense that these are being outside of are scope of human understanding but even then he injects a certain dose of humanity into them like with Captain Universe and her daughter.

Basically will Hickman's X-Men be a return from the Phoenix's fall from grace? The Phoenix concept has unfortunately been a victim of Marvel's overexposure (both in and out of comics) and less than competent writers who don't really care about it's history or even basic continuity. With Jean Grey back from the dead we all know Marvel won't be able to resist eventually putting the two together again and who better make it happen (currently) than Hickman.
    I hope so, I really like it when Hickman goes cosmic. I will say I am loving Infinity Watch with Logan and Loki right now. It's my favorite book Marvel is publishing currently. It's nothing like how Hickman writes, but the book is just plain fun and it features Phoenix Wolverine.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I can certainly see Hickman doing the Phoenix justice based on his previous works. I have a feeling his run won't be so much about revisiting the X-Men's greatest hits in the way Morrison's was (the Phoenix, Magneto, the Sentinels, the Shi'ar...) aside from the initial minis perhaps, but I'm sure he'll get to our favorite fiery bird eventually.

You answer the question already one of the cool things Hickman's writing is that he would take small unused concept and use it bigger story and highlight it. When he wrote about White Event/Starbrand I went a look up New Universal stuff and learning about these small gems from the past is fun makes you appreciate continuity . The Phoenix stuff has been beaten to death now I am sure that Hickman can put a new spin on it. But that is problem about the X-men it has been cannibalize itself for years many writers just want to write on their take on the best stories of X-men history so we have been reading the same stories and concepts over and over. People can hate on Morrison run but he didn't come to X-men to tell his version of older story he put in new stuff which is why only new memorable villains/antagonist in recent memory Cassondra Nova and John Sublime(Xorn as well) came from his run. A rather see new stuff it is one of only good things about Chuck Austen run that he was trying to add to mythos not do the same thing again.

I won't mind seeing cosmic stuff but I rather see new well thought out stuff or old stuff revitalize than rehashing well used lore like the Phoenix stuff even if it is his wheelhouse. Between the Brood,Phalanx, Shiar, The Sirius, Dire Wraiths, Lucifer, Z'nox, Technarchy, Ord and Belasco, Adversary, Wendigo, Demon Bear,etc the X-men cover a lot of mystical and cosmic ground and touching on these areas on occasion will remind people that X-men ain't just about being put on brink of extinction or fighting other mutants. Also would mind seeing Hickman take on Factor Three ,Shadow King or some other older villains and try to elevate them level of Magneto or Apocalypse.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-19-2019 at 04:19 AM.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hickman asking JDW an important question in their mutant garden after Aaron bravely sacrifices himself to destroy the Phoenix with a soda, fries, and some coleslaw from KFC

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Hickman's Phoenix would probably be angry at finding its broken eggs which it had laid the last time it was on earth that were going to hatch new phoenixes and turn up before Cyclops and jean grey demanding a explanation. it would lead to them traveling to the white room for appeasing it. the Ngarai demons choose to invade the mansion with storm and Bishop and professor X being caught on the grounds and it's going to be revealed that they fed upon the eggs and are fearful of the phoenix learning about it. Emma Frost and the hellfire club get ambushed by namor and defenders of deep at the underwater base where they had gone in search of the phoenix fragment that emma had lost which had been taken from her by jeen who subconsciously willed it out during extermination undersea and it turns out that namor is being possessed by the fragment which was attracted to a former host and explains his recent behavior and increased strength. it will probably result in a final large scale battle with the X-MEN fighting the good fight on all fronts with the phoenix burning the ngarai karn to the ground at last teaming up with the X-MEN instead of always being the bird everybody wants to get rid of or use as a plot device.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 05-19-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hickman asking JDW an important question in their mutant garden after Aaron bravely sacrifices himself to destroy the Phoenix with a soda, fries, and some coleslaw from KFC

I don't like these new uniforms Xavier made for them. Oh, well, at least he's not in a wheelchair anymore.

I think it's possible, but it's too early to say. Having followed Hickman's work, I don't see him as being one to re-hash old tropes for the sake of drama. He's someone who is more inclined to play the long game with a story, focusing on world-building rather than specific aspects of that world. I can see him referencing the Phoenix a few times, but I don't see him doing a Chris Claremont style Phoenix plot, at least not for a good long while.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

My only wish is that Hickman brings back the Mysterious aspect of the Phoenix that I loved so much back in the classic days. And destroy everything Jason Aaron did. I only ask he makes the Phoenix actually relevant and interesting please. Thank You. :-)

In order to use the Phoenix, Hickman would have to beat Aaron in a sword fight.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Tbh I would rather he revisit La Bette Noir and Bishop than the Phoenix. In fact if they ever need to retcon Bishops actions super easily- reveal that he's been possessed by La Bette Noir since the 'Bishop/Gambit' mini back in the day.

Jean's back in her pre-Phoenix second costume, so I don't think she'll be becoming Phoenix again.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Jean's back in her pre-Phoenix second costume, so I don't think she'll be becoming Phoenix again.
    I don’t believe the miniskirt is real.

I can see him touching on it some but one of his biggest pitches is that he wants to take the X-Men to new venues. And the Phoenix has exceeded its welcome for at least 5 more years. Jason Aaron can keep it with his silly Phoenix Logan concept for a while and let the X-Men get new toys to play with.