Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Single Universe or Multiverse... Which do you prefer?

Tell us which you prefer and why?

What could inprove your choice?

I'm fan of the multiverse idea. It's fun to see those radical changes in the characters and see them evolve in a different ways. Even,some of that multiverse characters add to the main characters by showing the road not taken. Or to make unofficial crossovers.
    How to improve the multiverse idea? I would like to see back-up stories set in different universes. An special or annual from time to time or a limited series. Forthe moment I'm glad with the way the Terrifics has been exploring the multiverse.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Multiverse because you can tell stories that might not be possible in the mainline universe.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and if DC ever got its continuity-game working properly, it would be easier to tell which would be the better choice.

I think right now, DC is so cluttered with redundant and unnecessary characters that it's hard to know where to begin.

I've become anti-legacy because the characters they kill off to create the legacies -- Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Aquaman -- have all come back, which creates fractured fanbases. This has weakened DC overall in my opinion.

I'm okay with having multiple Earths as long as each is unique and has a reason to exist. These multiple Earths should NOT have exact copies of heroes from any other Earth -- so, no Earth-2 Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Aquaman, etc. No Earth-1 Sgt. Rock, Enemy Ace, etc. A grown up Robin and a grey-haired 1938-powered Superman were novel to me 40 years ago, but the novelty factor wore off decades ago, so I don't need to see them again. I'm even iffy on the necessity of Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

So, I guess when all is said and done, I want each DC character and each DC Earth to be unique.

Even brand extensions and spinoff characters should be kept to a minimum. For Superman, all we need is Supergirl. The best Superboy was Superman as a boy. For Batman, ONE Robin (Dick until he becomes Nightwing), ONE Batgirl (Barbara), Nightwing, and Batwoman (Kate). Detach Huntress from Batman and let her stand on her own. Drop the rest. Keep the other ex-sidekicks in unique identities - Donna Troy, Arsenal, Tempest, and give Wally his own name. I don't want many characters with the same name active on the same Earth.

Some characters should be Multiversal like Spectre, who may make his primary home on Earth-2, but could easily travel across the Earths. We don't need a Spectre for each Earth.

So, I'd have:

EARTH-1 - mostly like the pre-Crisis Earth-1, with no duplicates from Earth-2

EARTH-2 - The Golden Age DC characters and DC's war characters in WW 2, and their descendants in modern times, with no duplicates from Earth-1.

EARTH-3 - The Reverse-Earth of the Crime Syndicate

EARTH 4 - The Charlton Earth

EARTH S - The Fawcett Earth

EARTH X - The Quality Earth -- doesn't have to be an Earth where Nazis won WW2 because that's a narrow premise in the long run.

EARTH M - The Milestone Earth

EARTH W - The Wildstorm Earth

Other Earths can be created for story-specific reasons, but these 8 would be enough for a diverse line of comics.

While I'm at it, I'm also not a fan of alternate timelines and possible futures, so if Kamandi and the Legion both exist 1000 years from now, put their futures on different Earths. Earth-1 for Legion, and a different Earth for Kamandi.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Multiverse. Opens a lot of doors. Any story you can imagine can have it's own universe. Along with any previous versions. I've always thought they should have had a multiverse book that showcases different universes. Sort of like an anthology.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

I like the multiverse, since it allows for pretty epic stories, but not necessary in the pre crisis version.

Having both Earth One and Two characters on differnt Worlds has both advantages and disadvantages, the same goes for Earth S, but I don't see much of a point in having the Charlton and Fawcett Characters on their own worlds. Most of the would fit pretty well on either Earth One or Two, barely any of them can support a book and I don't think non of them are really on a level that it would add a particular wow-factor if you had them team up with characters from the other Earth in a big crisis event.

Astonishing Member

Multiverse.

Many possibilities.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Multiverse.

A lot of great stuff came out of the post-Crisis era, but I still resent COIE for existing and squishing all the incompatible Earths together to create the cluster we've been stuck with off and on to this day. I think the legacy concept works wonderfully with the JSA franchise and its related characters, and a handful of instances elsewhere (mostly Wally from Barry), but retroactively applying it as the backbone of the DCU always rang hollow to me. Plus the Multiverse is just a cool concept and allows more freedom to tool around with ideas and create mytholgoies that don't have to be bound by the main canon, so getting rid of it or ignoring seems so terribly wasteful.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely to work in today's landscape. It's been gone for too long to go back to that way, fans and creatives cultivate the mentality that stories need to be part of the main canon/ongoing narrative to matter (despite some of their best evergreen sellers being stand alone tales outside of it).

Multiverse, because I find Elseworld stories fun. That's as good a reason as any I guess.

Retired

For all the vaunted excellence of today's comic book writers, I'm astounded by what a tough time they have doing simple things that the classic writers could do in a day. It shouldn't be that hard to pull off a multiverse, but DC is twisted in knots over how to do it. Plans for the multiverse keep getting delayed. They can't use the concept in a satsfying way.

I want a multiverse, but not the inconsistent mess that they've made of it.

Single for sure or multi that do not crossover with each other.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Multiverse. All the advantages of the Singleverse and then some.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Multiverse because I want experimental stories to happen there.

I'm glad the original multiverse collapsed in COIE because the post Crisis period was such a great era full of new ideas and characters.

I'm also glad they they eventually brought it back because it's too good a concept not to use.

Spectacular Member

I think both can be achived.

A single Universe for the main Earth.

A multiverse book for the Multiverse. Example: Elseworlds - a series of limited series that explore the Multiverse.