Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Would You Be Open To Tomasi Returning to Superman Right After Bendis' Run Ends?

I've just reread the final arc of Tomasi's Superman run, and I was reminded of how brilliant in places it was. By god it's not perfect, but it's exceptionally good. With it's introduction of the fan favorite Jon Kent to the Superman mythos, it might as well go down as the defining Superman runs of the 2010s, a probability much more lucky than Bendis or even Morrison talking that honor.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wouldn't be opposed, but not really thrilled. The monthly pace would probably help but I've already had much of his work and would prefer a fresh perspective if not the return of a writer whose run I enjoyed more
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't know if Tomasi would want to. Going by what's been said, Bendis really diverged from the path Tomasi wanted to go.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

rather have someone else take a turn honestly, Tomasi had his turn.

Oh god, no.

Honestly, as much as I liked it by the time they left I was ready for a change. It was basically a four year run compressed. I'd much rather Tom Taylor get a crack at writing the real Superman books. I used to want Tom King, but his Walmart book shows he'd write it like everything else, so no thanks. Tom Taylor on Action Comics would be awesome.

Gleason was cowriting it as well and he's exclusive to Marvel for the foreseeable future. It wouldn't be the same without him back.

BANNED

No way. I wasn't excited with the Superdad direction or the focus on that kid, and I believe Tomasi would just go back to that full on. Besides, Tomasi is a middling writer, in my opinion. Superman needs someone better than him.

Not at all. Not like I think he's the worst Superman writer of all time by any stretch of the imagination, but all the same his Rebirth run was half decent, half god-awful, making the whole thing even out at blah. And I don't want a return to the wholesome family stuff. I love wholesome familes IRL. I AM part of what would probably classify as a wholesome family and I wouldn't trade it for the world. But its not what I've ever read Superman for. The art was the best thing about the run overall.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-19-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Good God, no.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Read the first two volumes and found them really unremarkable, so definitely no.

I loved his run when he was actually writing it, but no I wouldn’t put him back on after Bendis, nor do I think Tomasi would come back if offered. There’s other writers I would like to see take a stab at Superman: Orlando, Seeley, Fraction, Hickman, Priest, Hill, maybe even Simone or KSD. Tomasi’s bread and butter is the family relationships, specifically father-son relationships. I wouldn’t mind him getting another Super Sons series, but I want an epic run on Superman and I don’t know if Tomasi is interested in that kind of story.

And towards the end of his run it felt like he was running out of steam. Tons of incredibly boring filler ended up killing his run. Tomasi has said Batman is his favorite character, and I’m enjoying his Tec run right now. Let him play around with the Bruce-Damian relationship, and maybe someday get a Spectre run. He was an editor on Spectre for Ostrander and I enjoyed his House of Penance book.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-19-2019 at 09:12 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I would love for him to return.But, i don't think that is happening.
    All i really want is, for someone to retcon unnecessary age up of jon and Clois being shitty parents out of existence. Bendis's run is ok, but nothing special. I would also like someone to actually give the superfamily some real Stakes. Tom taylor seems to be good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I believe Tomasi would just go back to that full on
    Sold.

All good humor aside, if Tomasi was instructed to write it a little edgier, he would. His 'Tec stuff certainly is a lot sharper in that regard.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-20-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Incredible Member

No thank you, sir.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And I don't want a return to the wholesome family stuff.
    Y'know, you say this an awful lot, but from what Bendis has done so far with Lois and Jon, you're kind of still getting the wholesome family stuff, just handled a little differently. The whole point of Bendis' run is to said to be how the Super Family copes with very dramatic turns together, that's pretty wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    II would also like someone to actually give the superfamily some real Stakes
    I think we've been getting that with Bendis, and it'll ramp up significantly with Year of the Villain if Lois accepts Lex's offer
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-20-2019 at 04:09 AM.