Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I loved his run when he was actually writing it, but no I wouldn’t put him back on after Bendis, nor do I think Tomasi would come back if offered.
    I agree, the way he was booted off the book, there's no way he'd want to come back. In fact, now that Gleason has defected to Marvel, it wouldn't surprise me if Tomasi follows him once he's done with Detective Comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I agree, the way he was booted off the book, there's no way he'd want to come back. In fact, now that Gleason has defected to Marvel, it wouldn't surprise me if Tomasi follows him once he's done with Detective Comics.
    It'd be great if Marvel would relaunch Renew Your Vows with Gleason and Tomasi on creative

He might seeing as he circled back to Batman. I’d be fine with him back but generally I preferred Jurgen’s run over his. Honestly I just want Bendis gone.

Fantastic Member

I'd take Tomasi back. Or Dan Jurgens. Or any number of past Superman writers. But I'm not DC's target audience, and the sensibilities of their target audience don't match mine at all.

I also don't think it will matter who takes over when Bendis finally decides to leave the books. The next year is going to be terrible across the DC line, and I suspect Dan DiDio is finally going to get his long-sought hard reboot (via Scott Snyder) when it's all over. So why bother?
    Last edited by Truman Burbank; 05-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd find Jurgens hilarious. Not just because of the incredulous response he would get, but because I think he'd actually do it and probably quite a good job. I think he was already ahead of Tomasi/Gleason, who would start strong and finish on shaky footing (also, Clark was a little headstrong without a certain charm or effectiveness to balance it). Monthly means they're not pulling his artist away or getting him to write with decompression, so in addition to better editorial I think he'd be in the best shape of probably any previous writer since Busiek, with a unique ability to rehab superman should things go south.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Y'know, you say this an awful lot, but from what Bendis has done so far with Lois and Jon, you're kind of still getting the wholesome family stuff, just handled a little differently. The whole point of Bendis' run is to said to be how the Super Family copes with very dramatic turns together, that's pretty wholesome.
    That's basically what I mean, that its handled different. I don't mean I need them slinging mud at each other or anything like that. I mean, I don't like family man Superman, but as long as he is, I want him to love his family. Anything else would be out of character. So I'm painting with a broad brush when I use the term "wholesome" and indeed its probably not the proper way to explain things.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'll put aside the...elaborations on this opinion and reaction images that come to mind and simply say that no, no thank you. Wouldn't cry foul if he got a Superman Family book to himself in a corner, and I'd still prefer him to Jurgens, but that is quite far afield of what I would be hoping for.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's basically what I mean, that its handled different. I don't mean I need them slinging mud at each other or anything like that. I mean, I don't like family man Superman, but as long as he is, I want him to love his family. Anything else would be out of character. So I'm painting with a broad brush when I use the term "wholesome" and indeed its probably not the proper way to explain things.
    Understood, and yeah, the message did get mixed a little bit since you were making it clear you hold wholesome family values in high esteem IRL.

I like what he did with Superman (Jon and Superman becoming a family man are the best things to happen to the character in the last 8-10 years) but I would like someone new to write the character after Bendis.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think we've been getting that with Bendis, and it'll ramp up significantly with Year of the Villain if Lois accepts Lex's offer
    So far, Bendis's superfamily stuff just hasn't clicked with me. It feels like unnecessary and unearned gimmicks many a times, than real stakes.For instance, bendis hasn't yet revealed why jon's age up was needed.
    all the things bendis has done could have been done with kid jon. I would argue it would have worked better. For instance, the grand space battle and jon admiring clark doing his thing. Kid jon would have brought more vulnerability to the situation to both clark and himself. We can also get behind the wonder and admiration of the kid towards his father's feats and the way he handles things. But as a teen jon, felt like caricature of kid jon.17 year old guy who has been through torture, abusive caretaker, space travel.. Etc would be more cynical. It feels like bendis is trying to fit this teen jon into role of kid jon which doesn't work. The only part that felt good was the el family superspeed talk with jon trying to keepup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd find Jurgens hilarious. Not just because of the incredulous response he would get, but because I think he'd actually do it and probably quite a good job. I think he was already ahead of Tomasi/Gleason, who would start strong and finish on shaky footing (also, Clark was a little headstrong without a certain charm or effectiveness to balance it). Monthly means they're not pulling his artist away or getting him to write with decompression, so in addition to better editorial I think he'd be in the best shape of probably any previous writer since Busiek, with a unique ability to rehab superman should things go south.
    If Jurgens promised to focus on revamping Conduit and developing Blanque I’d consider continuing to read his Superman. But if it’s just Doomsday and Hank Henshaw again then it’s a hard pass. I’m also not a fan of how he writes Zod, so I’d prefer Zod not show up under him again. But I think there’s even less of a chance DC offers him Action back over Tomasi.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    No way. I wasn't excited with the Superdad direction or the focus on that kid, and I believe Tomasi would just go back to that full on. Besides, Tomasi is a middling writer, in my opinion. Superman needs someone better than him.
    I'm in absolute agreement. I ended up dropping the books during his run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I like what he did with Superman (Jon and Superman becoming a family man are the best things to happen to the character in the last 8-10 years) but I would like someone new to write the character after Bendis.
    While I don't agree, I think that's a rather low bar. Superman hasn't really been knocking it out the park on a consistent basis since the 90s, in my opinion. He, astonishingly, keeps getting mishandled over and over again. I'm of the mind that little boy was just another stage in Superman's mishandling...and one of the worst missteps that's been done with the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    While I don't agree, I think that's a rather low bar. Superman hasn't really been knocking it out the park on a consistent basis since the 90s, in my opinion. He, astonishingly, keeps getting mishandled over and over again. I'm of the mind that little boy was just another stage in Superman's mishandling...and one of the worst missteps that's been done with the character.
    And yet to come to that conclusion means being deliberately oblivious of Jon's popularity.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-20-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If Jurgens promised to focus on revamping Conduit and developing Blanque I’d consider continuing to read his Superman. But if it’s just Doomsday and Hank Henshaw again then it’s a hard pass. I’m also not a fan of how he writes Zod, so I’d prefer Zod not show up under him again. But I think there’s even less of a chance DC offers him Action back over Tomasi.
    Everyone loves their own pet characters. Weirdly, at this point with 26 issues of Super Sons and counting, I guess Jon is as much Tomasi as he is Jurgens. Hank and Doomsday don't take up as much space as Zaar, and in general I think the General can benefit from a long vacation.

Realistically, I don't think D.C. will have a plan for replacing Bendis until he's virtually gone already. It'll probably go to someone who knows him.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES