Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
    I'd take Tomasi back. Or Dan Jurgens. Or any number of past Superman writers. But I'm not DC's target audience, and the sensibilities of their target audience don't match mine at all.

I also don't think it will matter who takes over when Bendis finally decides to leave the books. The next year is going to be terrible across the DC line, and I suspect Dan DiDio is finally going to get his long-sought hard reboot (via Scott Snyder) when it's all over. So why bother?
    I don't think there's that big of a chance of a reboot in the near term. King just got the OK from WB's for a major, long term, status quo shift for Batman. If it's something that they intended to reboot in 12 months that wouldn't be necessary. Bendis as well has some long term plans for Superman. Snyder may bring back the true multiverse, but reboot seems unlikely b

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't think there's that big of a chance of a reboot in the near term. King just got the OK from WB's for a major, long term, status quo shift for Batman. If it's something that they intended to reboot in 12 months that wouldn't be necessary. Bendis as well has some long term plans for Superman. Snyder may bring back the true multiverse, but reboot seems unlikely b
    If he's doing this right before he ends his run, it's hard to think what would be so permanent as to force new writers to go along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    If he's doing this right before he ends his run, it's hard to think what would be so permanent as to force new writers to go along with it.
    The two biggest theories are actually going through with the marriage or outing his ID.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The two biggest theories are actually going through with the marriage or outing his ID.
    Outing his ID I can see being a big thing that others will have to deal with. Going through with the marriage seems likely to happen in the story, but if the next writer doesn't like that, it doesn't seem like something it'd be hard to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Outing his ID I can see being a big thing that others will have to deal with. Going through with the marriage seems likely to happen in the story, but if the next writer doesn't like that, it doesn't seem like something it'd be hard to get rid of.
    That's the thing, they aren't planning on undoing whatever they are doing. They got the OK from WB for it to be a long term change. That's unnecessary if they are planning on doing a line wide reboot in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    While I don't agree, I think that's a rather low bar. Superman hasn't really been knocking it out the park on a consistent basis since the 90s, in my opinion. He, astonishingly, keeps getting mishandled over and over again. I'm of the mind that little boy was just another stage in Superman's mishandling...and one of the worst missteps that's been done with the character.
    Superman was mishandled for most of the New 52 (there were a few great runs in the 2000s). But that is what was so great about Jon, he was a breath of fresh air to the Superman mythos and was a way to tell new, interesting and frankly really great stories about Superman. In my opinion, the existence of Jon as a child is the exact opposite of mishandling Superman and the only mishandling is Bendis ageing him up.
    Last edited by KC; 05-20-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Everyone loves their own pet characters. Weirdly, at this point with 26 issues of Super Sons and counting, I guess Jon is as much Tomasi as he is Jurgens. Hank and Doomsday don't take up as much space as Zaar, and in general I think the General can benefit from a long vacation.

Realistically, I don't think D.C. will have a plan for replacing Bendis until he's virtually gone already. It'll probably go to someone who knows him.
    That’s my guess too. Maybe Fraction would take over, although that seems unlikely. Someone who I really want to see get another try is Yang. His runs on NSM and Terrifics has me convinced the main problems with his run were caused by editorial. I’d love to see him get another shot.

Hell NO! He's doing great work over on Tec giving us some much desired Batman and Robin action.

Tomasi's run is the first time, in almost a decade, that I was interested in Superman as a character. The family man angle really worked for him. Nothing would make me happier than to have him back and for everything that's happened to DC since Johns left to be some sort of bad fever dream.

Unfortunately, Tomasi has moved on and his partner in crime has jumped ship to Marvel. But on the upside, his work on Tec has been great so far.
    Last edited by Blue22; 05-21-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think he should be given a Superman Family book to really play with Clark as a father and he family dynamic. I enjoy it, but I think it's fair to assume not every reader does and that seems like a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think he should be given a Superman Family book to really play with Clark as a father and he family dynamic.
    Didn't having both Superman and Action Comics kinda fulfill that purpose? With Superman being the book that focused more on him and his family.

Nope, no thanks, not interested. Tomasi is a better Batman writer than Superman writer. I’d rather have him relaunch JSA. And I doubt he’s following Gleason to Marvel, he’s got long plans for Detective Comics. His hundred issue Batman run is starting up right as King’s hundred issue Batman run is hitting the big climax.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Nope, no thanks, not interested. Tomasi is a better Batman writer than Superman writer. I’d rather have him relaunch JSA. And I doubt he’s following Gleason to Marvel, he’s got long plans for Detective Comics. His hundred issue Batman run is starting up right as King’s hundred issue Batman run is hitting the big climax.
    Yeah, and apparently Tomasi isn't a fan of Bat/Cat so even if King's run ends with the two together, don't look for it being featured in 'Tec.

I enjoyed his run, it wasn't perfect but it kept me coming back. Still I don't think you can go home again. The old run is too recent and the direction changes and state of mind changes I think it's best he just writes a different character.