View Poll Results: are you happy with chris hardwick as the voice of the geek revolution

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah I like him.

26 78.79%
  • no his hair stands straight up

7 21.21%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hardwick

Default Chris Hardwick

Why are people so opposed to him being the voice of geek/nerd cuture? It's just been announced that he will be hosting a before and after show for the doctor who season premier and people are griping about it.

I like him. I also don't understand the hate for his talking dead after show.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

I've seen him on Craig Ferguson and think they're funny together but I don't know about "the voice of nerd culture". Maybe it's just that overexposure like when I used to hate Carson Daily thinking he could speak for everyone our age just because he hosted TRL. Now I'm old and don't care

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because Hardwick is a very good looking chap, and male nerds may be intimidated by that.

I'm personally a Hardwick fan. He's funny and charming, and his interviews usually go pretty well. I've seen quite a few Talking Deads and I thought he does a great job on them.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Because people like to whine. He has been a Doctor Who fan for a lot longer than most of the newbies that only came on with Tennet and Smith. Hardwick has proven over and over that he is not just some guy cashing in on nerd culture. He really does love the stuff he talks about and you can tell. His podcast is great and so are Talking Dead and @Midnight. The guy works his ass off doing something he loves, and to me that is a great thing.

To some people I guess you are not a real nerd unless you are 300lbs wear glasses and have an inhaler in your pocket.

Amazing Member

I like him, I just wish he'd stop yelling into the mic. It drives me nuts, especially on Talking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Because people like to whine. Hardwick has proven over and over that he is not just some guy cashing in on nerd culture. He really does love the stuff he talks about and you can tell. His podcast is great and so are Talking Dead and @Midnight. The guy works his ass off doing something he loves, and to me that is a great thing.
    That's probably it- he turned his fandom/passion into a career. Most of us wish we could do that, but we AREN'T getting paid to post our opinions on CBR!
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

I'm fine with having someone as the voice of nerd culture. That seems to be the logical step with whatever X culture there is. And lord knows that in this era, we have no shortage of attractive, hip, affable, funny people to market it. If you can facilitate discussion, do your homework, be passionate, and are charismatic, then you're far more talented than me, and that's what the voice of any culture needs.

My problem with him is that he can't seem to do anything without latching onto the coattails of a more successful property: Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, and even Chelsea Lately and The Soup, so it seems kind of leechy and unoriginal in that regard to me. Not every hit show needs a retrospective, not every show needs an onsite deconstruction (some shows even need viewers to take a moment to digest and then analyze better!). I half expect him to launch shows that examine Game of Thrones, Outlander, and Fashion Police next. He's clearly not stupid, but I just find him annoying and always looking for the next big bandwagon to jump on.

I know he's toned it down on Talking Dead for the past couple seasons (bf watches the show while I'm online -- otherwise, I obviously change the channel whenever he's on), but it used to irk me how he'd say something loud and obnoxious RIGHT AFTER a major character left the show via a gut-wrenching death.
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-01-2014 at 09:29 AM.

BANNED

I remember wanting to punch my TV during his Talking Dead after-show.

Quote Originally Posted by sprior93 View Post
    I remember wanting to punch my TV during his Talking Dead after-show.
    I remember seeing photos on ONTD of some sort of season opener (finale?) party where the cast and crew were celebrating in a night club. Other celebrities joined them, which is fine. It looked like a good time, and it's nice seeing the cast out of costume, having a few drinks for shits and giggles. But I could swear that Hardwick was aiming for some high school yearbook record of trying to be in the most photos as possible, which meant trying to hang out with the cast as if he was a part of the show himself. Not even Lincoln, Reedus, or Yuen were in nearly half as many photos as Hardwick, and it was their party.

Self-Proclaimed Genius clayholio's Avatar

Because the one thing that the geek/nerd culture does well is complain about everything all the time. It's kind of the defining characteristic of the tribe that Hardwick is trying to represent.
    clayholio

Ink Is My Perfume (art blog) - Clayholio Watches Movies (Movie Reviews)

... Who ... ???

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    ... Who ... ???

Hee.

I was actually surprised that someone felt strongly enough about the guy to even start the thread.

I had no idea I had a leader.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Hee.

I was actually surprised that someone felt strongly enough about the guy to even start the thread.
    You're right. The guy doesn't need any sort of defense, and anyone who doesn't like him (like me) can change the channel.

Not the biggest fan of him or his content, and I generally object to the idea that there should be a "voice of the geeks" or public face for nerds or whatever... but if there's gonna be one, I'd rather it be Hardwick than Kevin Smith.