Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman New 52 vs Wonder Woman rebirth

So it’s been a few years. How does rebirth stack up with new 52 Wonder Woman?

I have to say I’m glad no sex pirates and the fact most of the writers at least make sure they stay within what the story has set up and not reboot everything

I kind of liked New 52 Wonder Woman better although I agree that the sex pirates thing was beyond cringeworthy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

When they kept her away from Superman and the Steve drama, I found N52 Diana to be a bit more tolerable. Loved the stuff with Orion, but I prefer the Rebirth take.

I miss Azz’s Gods, they were a perfect rogues gallery for Diana. Especially Strife. However I think the Rucka human supporting cast is amazing. A perfect WW world would fuse these two elements

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I definitely prefer the Rebirth version. It's more consistent, iconic, and offers much more variety than the New 52 version.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I consider Azzarellos run to be more damaging and negative than even Robinsons awful run. The rape pirates thing was an element that existed and lingered from nearly the start of new 52 to the end of it.
    So between New 52 having Azzarello and Finch
    While Rebirth has had Rucka, Sharp, Scott, Robinson, Orlando, Wilson...

Im going Rebirth since while it had one REALLY bad run, it had nothing which outright established Wonder Woman to be enabling a group of mass murdering rapists who belong in prison

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Rebirth, though neither are perfect.

If the Azzarello run had just been a story with Diana and a handful of new supporting demigod characters going on a tour of the Greek pantheon as re-designed by Chiang, it would have been a lot more enjoyable because that was easily the best part. I still enjoy the first year of the run (Amazons aside) because Hera, Hades and Apollo were the best antagonists. But the characterization of the Amazons, the Zeus parentage, the First Born/Cassandra being dull flat antagonists and Orion/the New Gods being shoved in there are too big of hurdles to get over. Basically, I love the art, a few isolated scenes with Diana herself and the Gods, and am neutral to the new characters, but the drawbacks are far too damaging to the central themes of Wonder Woman. it injected too much misogyny to be viable long term.

Rucka's first run is superior overall because he didn't have to do continuity clean up. Here, he was charged with cleaning up the New 52's mess* while keeping it in continuity somewhat and making it an accessible jumping on point. The Lies/the Truth was the weaker half of his run, but still as good as it could be considering the state of the WW mythos was a mess even before he got there. Year One/Godwatch are more straightforward stories and are better for it, I love those two. For supporting characters, he gets major points for restoring the Amazons to their true selves. Steve is kind of bland, but it's appreciated that he's even there filling his classic role, and the only disappointment really is Etta. For villains, Maru is kinda weak, but Cheetah and Veronica Cale are far more layered and interesting antagonists than the First Born and Cassandra (what the hell did she want again?).

*Seriously, Azzarello made detrimental changes and left them undeveloped, Finch took what little potential there was and ran it into the ground immediately, and Johns kept the rest of the characters separate from the main book and fired off random details about them without properly developing any of them. The thing was a huge mess, and what exactly was left to ruin by the time Rucka got there?

Fantastic Member

I'm going with the new 52 Wonder woman! Over the rebirth Wonder Woman. I stopped reading WW solo comic when Azz was writing it!! Didn't like him making her a war God , didn't like him trying to make someone that sexually harassed her, a love interest, Orion. Or that whole sex pirates thing. What I liked was her series with Superman!! I liked them being together as a couple! Rebirth they don't have a relationship, their not really friends! I hate Dc saying their romance relationship never happened! Won't pick-up a rebirth WW comic!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 05-21-2019 at 06:27 PM.

The two in my opinion shouldn’t be lovers I don’t know aren’t the two suppose to be friend. I mean the two strongest people on the JL being lovers is interesting yet also bad. Dc already had a bad history with making a fool of her in JL comics at times

Why did Orion ever get added in Wonder Woman

Diana herself: New 52
    Amazons: Rebirth
    Gods: New 52
    Other Antagonists: Rebirth
    General storylines: New 52

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why did Orion ever get added in Wonder Woman
    He was intended to be the love interest of the story, however DC having her and Superman date at the time put the kibosh on that. It was really the one thing that Azzarello didn't have free reign over to my knowledge. Thankfully. Normally I wouldn't mind but the new Orion was an ass, and obviously I like her and Superman better anyway over most interests.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-22-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I like some of the gods but not the rest especially how little the female gods mattered despite them being in the story. I loved Hera and hoped to see her in rebirth. Some of their designs I didn’t care for like Athena or hades

Rebirth all the way.

Apart from the murdering sex pirate Amazons and making Diana into a bystander in the story, which should be bad enough in itself, I don't like the way he approached the gods. Now, I think Pérez was far too respectful to the ancient versions, but Azzarello simply didn't understand them. Instead of trying to interrogate their roles and function from a modern perspective, he only used his own vision of them.

Making Ares into a sensible and tired god could certainly work, but not without a lot of prior setup work, and especially not at the same time as the Amazons were torn down from a moral level. The goddesses became devoid of personality, except Eris and Hera (who was demoted to "human" status). The idea of Athena's child supplanting Zeus is absolutely great, but would have required a lot more work, and not end in a return to the status quo ante.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

What did you guys think about the supporting casr in new 52 vs rebirth?

Rebirth Wonder Woman had two trash level runs, Rucka and Robinson, the former being so bad that just learning that he wrote something I previously may have enjoyed without knowing he was involved devalue the whole thing to me.

New 52's had Finch, which was awful, but Azzarello was by far the best part of the whole bunch - and rape Amazons over the rampant glorification of an isolationist, sexist and xenophobic society which is so pervasive among fans of the "iconic" depiction of the Amazons.