Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wonder Woman New 52 vs Wonder Woman rebirth

So it’s been a few years. How does rebirth stack up with new 52 Wonder Woman?

I have to say I’m glad no sex pirates and the fact most of the writers at least make sure they stay within what the story has set up and not reboot everything

I kind of liked New 52 Wonder Woman better although I agree that the sex pirates thing was beyond cringeworthy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

When they kept her away from Superman and the Steve drama, I found N52 Diana to be a bit more tolerable. Loved the stuff with Orion, but I prefer the Rebirth take.

I miss Azz’s Gods, they were a perfect rogues gallery for Diana. Especially Strife. However I think the Rucka human supporting cast is amazing. A perfect WW world would fuse these two elements

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I definitely prefer the Rebirth version. It's more consistent, iconic, and offers much more variety than the New 52 version.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I consider Azzarellos run to be more damaging and negative than even Robinsons awful run. The rape pirates thing was an element that existed and lingered from nearly the start of new 52 to the end of it.
    So between New 52 having Azzarello and Finch
    While Rebirth has had Rucka, Sharp, Scott, Robinson, Orlando, Wilson...

Im going Rebirth since while it had one REALLY bad run, it had nothing which outright established Wonder Woman to be enabling a group of mass murdering rapists who belong in prison

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    So it’s been a few years. How does rebirth stack up with new 52 Wonder Woman?

I have to say I’m glad no sex pirates and the fact most of the writers at least make sure they stay within what the story has set up and not reboot everything
    To me 52 supersedes AMAZONS ATTACK as a blight against the character. Unfortunately not all of it has been washed away but I am confident that it will in time. Of course the franchise will still be troubled so long as people like DiDio and Johns are running the show. But one step at a time

New 52 was not perfect and I saw it as a work in progress that should have been allowed to build. Compared to some of the mediocre stuff we got preflashpoint, New 52 was a good modern take that could have been built on and if people did not like the tainted Amazons, a writer could have retconed that instead of throwing everything out. It had some of the best rogues in Azz's Gods and it is a travesty they are made out to be lies for the Disney like Gods of Rebirth. Diana had a very strong sense of who she was despite being a daughter of Zeus. She was very powerful. And I am so happy Azzarello used Orion to show Diana's compassion as opposed to using her as enduring bs behavior from men and that tired outdated troupe of good girls must put up with bad boys and fall for them. It was bad enough when they tried it with WW chasing Batman. If Wonder Woman had to be with someone I would assume the type of woman Diana is , she would be attracted to a compassionate, noble, kind man. I never had issues with her romance with Superman. Made sense to me. It is a shame Soule never got his chance to tell more because he wrote Diana very well. And Azzarello, while he did not use Superman in his run, has written them in Dark Knight 3 as a couple.

While I like the Ambassador origins begun by Perez and by Rucka, preflashpoint, DC always mess Diana up by never giving her anything stable and always seem to be apologizing for her Amazon heritage and her being powerful and saying incomprehensible things like she needs to be more human as if Amazons have no emotions. Human history is peppered by humans doing crap things and it is also a conceited thing to presume all humans as good just as to an isolationist, warrior based society is a utopia and perfect. I think Azzarello wanted to challenge that notion, which to me is a fair slant if we are really going to look at comics in a modern way.

Rebirth is so vanilla compared to Rucka's older run. Diana comes across a little foolish than the fresh more innocent Perez for someone as old as she is. Rebirth Diana is very wishy washy and her voice is very dubious and whiny and being with Steve is not helping her much either. Fact it reinforces to me that Perez made the right decision when he rebooted her back in the 80ties and made Steve an elder brotherly ally.

I envy what Marvel has done with their top tier women. They celebrate that power. If Diana is tough and kicks ass, some fans cry she is a barbarian or savage. Fighting is not a pretty thing and the superhero genre involves action. Then when DC does not focus on her in big events, they cry DC is ignoring her. Well if we have a weaker version, what is she supposed to do against top tier foes? Hug them? Azzarello gave us power and compassion but some people preferred to ignore that and cry over Amazons than celebrate Diana's solid characterization.

I wish Dc would give us a new 52 earth if they are going to saddle us with this Rebirth version. Wilson's WW is so uninteresting, she makes Finch look pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    New 52 was not perfect and I saw it as a work in progress that should have been allowed to build. Compared to some of the mediocre stuff we got preflashpoint, New 52 was a good modern take that could have been built on and if people did not like the tainted Amazons, a writer could have retconed that instead of throwing everything out. It had some of the best rogues in Azz's Gods and it is a travesty they are made out to be lies for the Disney like Gods of Rebirth. Diana had a very strong sense of who she was despite being a daughter of Zeus. She was very powerful. And I am so happy Azzarello used Orion to show Diana's compassion as opposed to using her as enduring bs behavior from men and that tired outdated troupe of good girls must put up with bad boys and fall for them. It was bad enough when they tried it with WW chasing Batman. If Wonder Woman had to be with someone I would assume the type of woman Diana is , she would be attracted to a compassionate, noble, kind man. I never had issues with her romance with Superman. Made sense to me. It is a shame Soule never got his chance to tell more because he wrote Diana very well. And Azzarello, while he did not use Superman in his run, has written them in Dark Knight 3 as a couple.

While I like the Ambassador origins begun by Perez and by Rucka, preflashpoint, DC always mess Diana up by never giving her anything stable and always seem to be apologizing for her Amazon heritage and her being powerful and saying incomprehensible things like she needs to be more human as if Amazons have no emotions. Human history is peppered by humans doing crap things and it is also a conceited thing to presume all humans as good just as to an isolationist, warrior based society is a utopia and perfect. I think Azzarello wanted to challenge that notion, which to me is a fair slant if we are really going to look at comics in a modern way.

Rebirth is so vanilla compared to Rucka's older run. Diana comes across a little foolish than the fresh more innocent Perez for someone as old as she is. Rebirth Diana is very wishy washy and her voice is very dubious and whiny and being with Steve is not helping her much either. Fact it reinforces to me that Perez made the right decision when he rebooted her back in the 80ties and made Steve an elder brotherly ally.

I envy what Marvel has done with their top tier women. They celebrate that power. If Diana is tough and kicks ass, some fans cry she is a barbarian or savage. Fighting is not a pretty thing and the superhero genre involves action. Then when DC does not focus on her in big events, they cry DC is ignoring her. Well if we have a weaker version, what is she supposed to do against top tier foes? Hug them? Azzarello gave us power and compassion but some people preferred to ignore that and cry over Amazons than celebrate Diana's solid characterization.

I wish Dc would give us a new 52 earth if they are going to saddle us with this Rebirth version. Wilson's WW is so uninteresting, she makes Finch look pretty good.
    Rebirth was the worst thing that happened to WW, it's the worst version of her that I see in over 40 years of reading... turned the Amazon Princess into a complete idiot, incoherent, weak, immature, sentimentally speaking. Why the stupid sword and shield? Why that uniform with that skirt that is useless? The lasso is her main weapon, the truth is her shield ... when she gets down on her knees for the sons of Ares, does she show compassion and solidarity with her victims? And, apparently getting on her knees is the most used move for her to defend herself! She has no pride or self-love... what Aphrodite's son did in the last few numbers was to rape those people's minds, to corrupt them by generating an almost iniquitous evil, and to her all right? The heads of those children... the understanding, the anguish that passed while their parents gave vent to their carnal desires... is that legal? Okay? She behaves like a plastic doll with plastic feelings! Even with defects new 52 WW was passionate, human, liable to mistakes and recognized them, was in growth, evolution... her stories were well elaborated, strong, there was coherence, she cared... WW rebirth behaves like rebirth SM only caring for those closest to him... both for me have lost the title of heroes, they are just powerful beings who do not connect with humanity, why should I care about them?

Well Dc didn't want to completely rebooth it. So they are still going with New 52 are certain parts. Rucka's version pretty good. Orion was suppose to be a love interest. That's the reason why he was even in new 52 Wonder Woman

Honestly, "Rebirth" is too much of a mess that does not deliver on it's supposed pitch to work for me.

While the "New52" is apparently some sort of an illusion is apparently what happened in "Rebirth", Diana seemingly has an actual twin brother during "Rebirth". Just way too much "maybe?" without the actually concrete foundation that was seemingly the pitch for "Rebirth".

While I absolutely get why folks would like it, "Rebirth" is way to wishy washy for me.

Of the two options, it's "New52" easily.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well Dc didn't want to completely rebooth it. So they are still going with New 52 are certain parts. Rucka's version pretty good. Orion was suppose to be a love interest. That's the reason why he was even in new 52 Wonder Woman
    The only part they kept was the Papa Zeus origin, otherwise pretty much everything else was thrown out. I guess Jason would technically count as New 52 but he thankfully seems banished forever.