Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Superman and Wonder Woman, by far, were the most painfully boring comic super-couple ever assembled.

Frank Azzarello's Orion, in his imperfection and spiritual struggle, was an infinitely more complex companion for Diana, without ever lying with her, than was Superman, ..with all of his writers' cheesy, contrived huffing and puffing. What's more; Wonder Woman made Orion a better man - not quite a dove, but, a better man and a better hero, certainly. The model for their complex relationship, with Orion being ally, trusted lieutenant, friend and potential love interest, might have been a good one for Greg Rucka's Rebirthed Steve and Diana.

Frank Azzarello convinced me that Steve and Diana should not, for a very long stretch, be written, as mutually recognized equals. Steve, like 52's Orion, should be written as the most capable and trusted among Diana's small circle of loyalists. That has infinitely more narrative stability and sustainability, because it's always growing and testing Diana's boundaries, than just making Steve, ..her lovesick boyfriend.

For me, that circle of loyalists might be Etta, Ferdinand, Artemis, Perez's Herakles, I Ching and Troy.

Neither the 52 or Rebirth are perfect takes on WW. Both have their highlights and pitfalls.
    I couldn't disagree with you more when it comes to the SM and WW relationship!! as for Orion being a love interest!! I thought the way Orion treated WW was so disrespectfully! WW is all about a woman being treated with respect, not being treated like a sex object!! Not falling for the guy that has been sexually harassing her! Orion never once called Diana by her name or WW. He called by a body part LEGS!! Women would be insulted to be treated that way!! The women and little girls that look at her as a symbol for strong women would be throwing their WW comics away!! If Orion would have been her love interest!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 05-24-2019 at 07:50 AM.