Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Hickman does like to take stablished characters and give them a new different perspective so I can see him doing that.
    Many of the Age of X-Man characters had a new perspective but these are different realities like Age of Apocalypse. The sales of these 'new perspectives' were horrible.

So I really hope Hickman won't give us another Age of Apocxxx again.

What we want is something that will happen in 616 real universe, not something in the future (e.g. Days of Future Past) or alternate reality (Age of Apocxxx or Age of X-Man).
    Last edited by jalsrix; 05-20-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Very excited for more Emma

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Many of the Age of X-Man characters had a new perspective but these are different realities like Age of Apocalypse. The sales of these 'new perspectives' were horrible.

What we want is something that will happen in 616 real universe, not something in the future or alternate univ.
    A new perspective doesn´t mean it will be an AU, what I mean is that he tackles characters already well known or brings back obscure characters and gives them something different to do.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He didn't write her as a saint (which is good because her being viewed as such can be detrimental for her), but he was good for Jean. I find plenty to enjoy of her herself in the run independent of the stuff going on with Scott and Emma, which is just the usual shipping BS that fans fight over.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said, specially that.

I love Emma, but I also like Jean, I honestly never liked the whole affair bits because I always thought that it only hurt the three of them, but tbh I never felt like that was the center of the story anyways, and I loved Morrison's run because most of the characters had some amazing moments, and of them all Jean was pretty badass. The panels of her defending the school solo are amazing as ****. Shame that she was killed ofc, but I still think that run actually showed a good Jean (minus the dying part).
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then I’d be born in five different places,
    and I’d stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    I’d live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    I’d fall in love with the same person...
    "

- Orihime Inoue

What we want is something that will happen in 616 real universe, not something in the future (e.g. Days of Future Past) or alternate reality (Age of Apocxxx or Age of X-Man).
    Since this is meant to be a defining run it seems pretty clear it will take place in or hugely affect the "real" universe and not be just another AU.

Powers of X will be about the history of the X-universe, maybe that's where the AU idea comes from. But that's just one 6 issue mini-series, House of X takes place in the modern day and i bet the same applies for the upcoming series in Wave 1 and 2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Since this is meant to be a defining run it seems pretty clear it will take place in or hugely affect the "real" universe and not be just another AU.

Powers of X will be about the history of the X-universe, maybe that's where the AU idea comes from. But that's just one 6 issue mini-series, House of X takes place in the modern day and i bet the same applies for the upcoming series in Wave 1 and 2.
    That's what they said about Disassembled which will 'change everything' and was overhyped. I was severely disappointed with Disassembled and the Age-of-XMan.

Marvel is good at over-hyping, relaunching #1's every one or two years but not good in story-telling.

Let's hope this is not another revamp failure.

That's what they said about Disassembled which will 'change everything' and was overhyped. I was severely disappointed with Disassembled and the Age-of-XMan.
    It did kind of deliver on that, did it not? X-Men ended up disassembled. I don't personally remember how much hype there was to Disassmembled, certainly not as much as now with every other creator chiming in and raising the yet to be seen run to the skies.

Marvel is good at over-hyping, relaunching #1's every one or two years but not good in story-telling.
    Of course they try to hype everything they release, they want to sell it after all. It's up to the readers to decide how much substance there might be behind the claims.

Let's hope this is not another revamp failure.
    They seem serious enough about it, especially taking into account the "vertically-integrated opportunities" Hickman mentioned.

But if it fails to attract reader interest (and purchase power) then it will naturally fall by the wayside sooner rather than later. Nothing is ever certain in creative endeavors.

Incredible Member hedgehogvampire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    They seem serious enough about it, especially taking into account the "vertically-integrated opportunities" Hickman mentioned.

But if it fails to attract reader interest (and purchase power) then it will naturally fall by the wayside sooner rather than later. Nothing is ever certain in creative endeavors.
    I read this in one of the interviews but for the life of me I have no idea what this means. Is ""vertically-integrated opportunities" good? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.
    My pull list: Sonic the Hedgehog, TMNT, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Marauders, X-men, Excalibur

AiPT!: So far we’ve seen the X-Men wearing classic costumes, updated costumes and completely new costumes. Did you make these fashion choices, or was it a group effort?

Jonathan: OK, so one of my big rules is that mutants wear mutant clothes and not human ones.

If you think about it, we have all of these amazing costumes that these characters have worn over the years, just a sea of them (and, sure, some are bad and we won’t be using them, but for the most part, the X-Line has had some of the best designs in the history of the medium). Also, in the story that we’re telling, it’s just completely logical that Storm would have a closet full of Storm costumes and not yoga pants and sweaters (but in the instance that she did really need to dress ‘civilian,’ then those civilian clothes should reflect her costume color scheme and immediately identify her as Storm–or, you know, be a fair compromise like the Quitely leather ‘mutant school’ look).
    Don’t really understand Hickman’s Philosophy on costumes.

First... what exactly do “mutant clothes” look like and how do they differ from “human clothes”? His “rule” seems strange- should gay people only wear “gay people” clothes, and POC shouldn’t wear “white people” clothes (whatever these mean)?? I’m so confused. (Don’t get me wrong- wearing your xmen costume with pride is absolutely fine. I just don’t like this weird separation of mutants only wearing “mutant clothes”.)

I can sorta get cycling through old costumes- but saying they shouldn’t really wear street clothes? What? If anything I’d think being persecuted would make some mutants want to wear “normal” clothes from time to time if needed.

He even says when they DO wear their civilian clothes, they should match their costume color scheme (1. If they are cycling through costumes like he says, how can civilian clothes match someone’s color scheme, as their costumes are not all the same color? 2. Always wearing the same color scheme.. just sounds boring to me. I absolutely loved all the street clothes when xmen red started)
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

AiPT!: That’s good to hear. Steven (@stevenxvision) wanted to know what X-Men runs or story arcs are considered essential reading ahead of House of X and Powers of X.

Jonathan: It’s tough to say because I’m in it so deep right now, but I’m pretty sure that you can pick these books up cold. I’m sure, because I simply don’t like to do this because of how it ruins the dialogue, that there will be instances where I could be labeling characters better, but that doesn’t really have anything to do with previous runs.

I will say that in re-reading everything, probably the most criminally underrated X-Men writer is Mike Carey. I mean, it’s obvious that Mike is brilliant, but there are a lot of things buried in his books that are tier-one ideas that writers following him must have just blown right past.

Conceptually, that “Supernovas” stuff is great.

Rejoice people! all is well in the world

#happy

I for one welcome a story about the evolutionary aspect of the mutants, it's been far too long since being explored further.

was Dusts mutation determined by her environment?
    are Rogue, M, Storm, Prodigy, Synch, Hope, Exodus and secondary mutators like Emma the next steps?
    .....and other questions that I've pondered, but too tired to recall right now...........

He's absolutely correct about Mike Carey, and Jonathan is astute to have noticed that other writers have been egocentric and quite frankly BTFO by Carey.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Don’t really understand Hickman’s Philosophy on costumes.

First... what exactly do “mutant clothes” look like and how do they differ from “human clothes”? His “rule” seems strange- should gay people only wear “gay people” clothes, and POC shouldn’t wear “white people” clothes (whatever these mean)?? I’m so confused. (Don’t get me wrong- wearing your xmen costume with pride is absolutely fine. I just don’t like this weird separation of mutants only wearing “mutant clothes”.)

I can sorta get cycling through old costumes- but saying they shouldn’t really wear street clothes? What? If anything I’d think being persecuted would make some mutants want to wear “normal” clothes from time to time if needed.

He even says when they DO wear their civilian clothes, they should match their costume color scheme (1. If they are cycling through costumes like he says, how can civilian clothes match someone’s color scheme, as their costumes are not all the same color? 2. Always wearing the same color scheme.. just sounds boring to me. I absolutely loved all the street clothes when xmen red started)
    I didn't read it as "mutants should never wear civvies." I read it as kind of an extension of the whole Jumbo Carnation plot from Morrison's run: mutants have their own culture, and their fashion reflects that. Should they wear civvies, the look will still identify them as being that character (like in the Storm example he mentioned). Essentially, I read it as being mutant fashion integrating with society instead of homogenizing with society.

If that makes sense: it could just sound like pretentious tripe.

Of course, the whole thing could just be an excuse for each artist to put the characters in whatever the heck they want.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

The return of Serafina is upon us!

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogvampire View Post
    I read this in one of the interviews but for the life of me I have no idea what this means. Is ""vertically-integrated opportunities" good? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.
    Not quite sure myself.

Sounds like there might be opportunities to branch out to other media such as television and movies.

Should also have a higher budget available within the comic book division to afford more expensive artists and also be able to better integrate with the rest of MU and not be restricted to the X-corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I didn't read it as "mutants should never wear civvies." I read it as kind of an extension of the whole Jumbo Carnation plot from Morrison's run: mutants have their own culture, and their fashion reflects that. Should they wear civvies, the look will still identify them as being that character (like in the Storm example he mentioned). Essentially, I read it as being mutant fashion integrating with society instead of homogenizing with society.

If that makes sense: it could just sound like pretentious tripe.

Of course, the whole thing could just be an excuse for each artist to put the characters in whatever the heck they want.
    Well, I’d like to see it that way but he says word for word “one of my big rules is that mutants wear mutant clothes and not human ones.”

That being said I think your last point is likely more true- an excuse for the artist to use whatever they want. Which I actually am 100% ok with. I just think the reason given is .... odd.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

The only problem with the mutant clothes theorem is that it opens the door for more nostalgia-wanking. At least Jonathan's people will look cool.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate