Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Ellis is done with comics. Where did this rumor originate?

There are few writers that can go toe to toe with Morrison/Snyder/king. A journeyman won’t do here. Even a good one like Pak or Abnett or Taylor.

The best up and coming writers I’ve read are Mark Russell and Way,

Long-shots: azzarello (Risso) and the man himself, Geoff Johns.

If DC is looking for someone to just finish off the title until it gets to #100, they may just do what they have been doing for the last few years and bring Dan Jurgens on to wrap it up. Jurgens wrote Action during the Rebirth period before Bendis took over, Jurgens wrapped up Green Lanterns, Jurgens seems to be currently wrapping up the awful Ric Grayson storyline in Nightwing, he seems to exist for DC right now just to fix, steady, or wrap up series that have been derailed or were getting ready to transition to a new writer. Tomasi would be a favorable choice to get it to #100. After that, I'd be curious to so see what Bendis could do with it as I feel Superman is not really in his wheelhouse, and this whole Event: Leviathan seems to be more of something that would work better in a Batman book than a Superman book.

Quote Originally Posted by emac View Post
    If DC is looking for someone to just finish off the title until it gets to #100, they may just do what they have been doing for the last few years and bring Dan Jurgens on to wrap it up. Jurgens wrote Action during the Rebirth period before Bendis took over, . . .
    Jurgens wasn't just "wrapping up" Action Comics during Rebirth before Bendis. Jurgens wrote the two-issue Convergence: Superman series where Lois was pregnant and gave birth to Jon, and followed that up with the eight-issue Superman: Lois and Clark limited series where the Convergence versions of Superman and Lois were establishing themselves on the main DC Earth without overshadowing the main (New52) versions of Superman and Lois.

Jurgens had been writing Action Comics with the start of the Rebirth period. Then Bendis came in and made his questionable changes, and he evidently decided he didn't want the young Jon, who seemed to be popular, but . . . it's Bendis.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-28-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Incredible Member

Has Jurgens ever written Batman before? I'd love to see him on the book. I'm a huge fan of Jurgens works so I think that would be a good run. He wasn't wrapping up Action Comics, that's true. His run on that was great and got cut short for Bendis, who I agree, is not well suited for Superman. I do think Bendis can do a better job on Batman though. He's better at street level guys so I'd be interested in his run.

Mighty Member

If they're cutting 'Tec back to once a month, they could do a lot worse than just letting Tomasi run both books for a year
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

That would be the least inspired choice ever.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    That would be the least inspired choice ever.
    To some of us, there's currently very little from DC that's "inspiring".

Empty is thy hand!

I couldn't think of anyone until I saw Mark Russell mentioned elsewhere. I would love to see his version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    To some of us, there's currently very little from DC that's "inspiring".
    When I say most uninspired, I don't mean that he'd be the worst possible choice. I can think of other writers I would much rather not write Batman. I just mean that he has already written so much for Gotham and is already writing a Batman title. So there wouldn't be to much for anyone to get excited about.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post

There are few writers that can go toe to toe with Morrison/Snyder/king. A journeyman won’t do here. Even a good one like Pak or Abnett or Taylor.

The best up and coming writers I’ve read are Mark Russell and Way,

Long-shots: azzarello (Risso) and the man himself, Geoff Johns.
    Where did you hear that? It's suspect.

Would love to see Snyder or Morrison return but doubt either will

Someone new to Batman would be excited to see Jeff Lemire but I thought he said after The Terrifics ge was just doing creator owned stuff.

Tom Taylor seems very likely and I would enjoy.

One that would never happen not sure what he has done if anything recently but Joshua Hale Fialkov did a Superman / Batman story years ago Pre52 I really enjoyed how he work both characters would like to see him on Batman

Bleeding Cool. They've written about an Ellis-Hitch run enough it seems well sourced. Where (and how recently) did you hear he was done?

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

Tom Taylor would be great. Christopher Priest would be interesting, if nothing else. He'd probably use Damian in the main title at least. Gail Simone would do a good job. Charles Soule's Daredevil was good enough that I would be excited if he ended up on Batman. Bendis would be a good choice too, imo, some of his best work has come on street-level/crime comics like Daredevil and Alias. Ellis would be cool, especially if paired with Hitch as rumored. Throwback to the New 52, I think Kyle Higgins might do a good job; I really enjoyed his recent Image series, The Dead Hand, which reminded me of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Where did you hear that? It's suspect.
    His newsletter

Edit: after Wildcats, he wrote that he has nothing in the pipeline.

His newsletter

Edit: after Wildcats, he wrote that he has nothing in the pipeline.
    Wait.

How does "nothing in the pipeline" become
    Ellis is done with comics.
    "In the pipeline" refers to things planned or already started. If he has "nothing in the pipeline", wouldn't that just mean he's not working on anything else at the moment?