Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    And I'm not a fan of the Tom King Batman run, I particularly disliked his latest stories. But at least he had a really personal and different story to tell. Tynion is just a slightly better Scott Lobdell: he will write a good story designed by commitee, who will all forgot next year.
    Hmm. I feel like Tynion has a lot better plotting and arc skills than Lobdell, and doesn't try for as many things that backfire. That probably makes him "safe", but as a huge fan of his, I feel like he writes with the same kind of passion and nerdiness that I read the comics.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Hmm. I feel like Tynion has a lot better plotting and arc skills than Lobdell, and doesn't try for as many things that backfire. That probably makes him "safe", but as a huge fan of his, I feel like he writes with the same kind of passion and nerdiness that I read the comics.
    Yeah, he is good writer who give us exactly what we want. A great writer give us what we didn't know that we want (even if it is sometimes wrong).
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Yeah, he is good writer who give us exactly what we want. A great writer give us what we didn't know that we want (even if it is sometimes wrong).
    I've heard that a lot...but sometimes, after decades of getting "what we didn't know we wanted" which turns into "what we definitely didn't want," it's nice to have a writer who actually does give us what we want.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    this is the right take.
    He is a "safe" writer.
    I dont expect a continuity shattering story during this 15 chapters, just a complete story and not necesarily a filler.
    Lodbell is more of a "throw everything on the wall and see what sticks" writer so the comparison is not very fair.

this is also a good take.
    I agree a lot with this.

I'm interested to see what this creative team comes up with, besides his time on Red Hood and The Outlaws I've enjoyed what I've read from Tynion. Having Daniels on art and Miki on inks is going to be cool to see issue to issue.

Also I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I'm excited at the prospect of Harper Row and her brother Cullen popping up again. Please, let James Tynion bring her back and have her back in comics.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

And I'm not a fan of the Tom King Batman run, I particularly disliked his latest stories. But at least he had a really personal and different story to tell. Tynion is just a slightly better Scott Lobdell: he will write a good story designed by commitee, who will all forgot next year.
    I think that's doing a disservice to Tynion. While I'm sure he is a good writer in crafting stories designed by committee, I think his Justice League Dark run shows what he is capable of when he gets a free rein, and has shown an excellent nuance in depicting all of the characters on the team (Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Swamp Thing, and Man-Bat).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Saying Tynion is just a slightly better Lobdell is such a bad take, I'm not gonna respond to that seriously.

That said, he isn't a A list writer, but I think he has written enough great issues to at least be excited for this upcoming run.

He'll do a servicable job I think It's had to judge based on his 'Tec work because it more focused on the family. I'm more excited to have Daniel as the regular penciler.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Saying Tynion is just a slightly better Lobdell is such a bad take, I'm not gonna respond to that seriously.
    I agree, he is worse than Lobdell

I hated James Tynion's detective comics run. Loved his Batman vs tmnt. So, will wait and see how this turns out. Priest would have been my choice.

Tony Daniel is good, really liked his artwork on Batman RIP and new 52 detective comics. His later stuff, not as much.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I agree, he is worse than Lobdell
    Assuming that's not a joke, I wanna hear how he's worse than Lobdell

I think a more accurate take is the Tynion is another Tomasi. Both are passionate about the characters they write and generally nail their voices, so fans receive them well. But they generally both write safe stories and aren't great at plotting of pacing. So the emotional moments of their books are memorable, but their stories aren't.

And IMO, we don't need both helming the Bat at the same time.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think a more accurate take is the Tynion is another Tomasi. Both are passionate about the characters they write and generally nail their voices, so fans receive them well. But they generally both write safe stories and aren't great at plotting of pacing. So the emotional moments of their books are memorable, but their stories aren't.

And IMO, we don't need both helming the Bat at the same time.
    I suppose this is fair. And I definitely would like to see tomasi off detective, it's clear he doesn't have anything new to say for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    At the same time, I think it's much easier to fix plotting and pacing issues using collaboration with a good editor and a good artist, than it is to fix the voices or values that characters hold if the writer gets those things wrong.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think that's doing a disservice to Tynion. While I'm sure he is a good writer in crafting stories designed by committee, I think his Justice League Dark run shows what he is capable of when he gets a free rein, and has shown an excellent nuance in depicting all of the characters on the team (Wonder Woman, Zatanna, Detective Chimp, Swamp Thing, and Man-Bat).
    Yeah, I think his JLD is much better on a craft-level compared to his 'Tec run.

Although I'm not as big of a fan when he writes the actual Justice League book.