Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
What I would say is the heart of the "problem" with Tynion is that he didn't write an arc for Bruce. He wrote an arc for every other character - Kate with the Colony and her dad, Tim with the Knights, Steph with Tim and Batman, Cass with her mother (which was unfinished due to the run being cut short), Clayface with Cass and Viktoria, Jean-Paul with Ascalon - I guess you could say Luke never got a full arc, but I still loved him.

But Bruce was just there, trying to support his family. His desires don't change from the beginning to the end. And I don't mind that - because as I've said, until King, I never really wanted Bruce to have an arc, because the writers were never interested in doing anything but build him up then drag him back down (see also: Hush). With King, I have hope that he'll actually get a tiny bit futher up the mountain of life. (And if he doesn't, as I've said many times, I'm gonna be pretty down on King.) So Tynion's idea of Bruce as a complicated guy, but one who wants the best for his family and his city? I'm on board with that. Now, if he's writing the main title, I think he's probably gonna give Bruce some arcs. Which will be cool.
I agree that Bruce didn't need an arc. My issue is that Tynion, from my perspective, did fall into that aspect of dragging Bruce down and wasn't always fair to Bruce's perspective compared to other characters. And while his voice for characters like Kate were on-point throughout the entire series, his Bruce sometimes felt more clinical or standard aside from certain significant moments.

I guess another issue of mine is that, while I'm glad he gave every character an arc, I don't feel like he realized them all as well as he could have.
I think this is a good reminder to myself not to always blame Didio. I still think he's used his significant influence to make some things a lot worse (War Games, the n52), but I also think he's worked hard to make some really good stuff, like Rebirth.
I think Rebirth was more Johns then Didio.