Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what will happen, right?:

- King's final issue on main Batman book will be #85
    That's what DC has said.

- we'll get (a) writer(s) filling the gap for issues 86-100
    Still speculation based on what seems likely.

- New creative team will be announced in 2020, they'll start with #101 (or just re-launch the series).
    As far as I'm aware, that's also still speculation and not confirmed.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-26-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's what DC has said.

Still speculation based on what seems likely.

As far as I'm aware, that's also still speculation and not confirmed.

Aah, I do love me some speculation, well not really.
    However, I'm glad regardless , no King from #86 and onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Not only that, he isn't exclusive, is he? I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to reunite with Gleason, and do some work for Marvel.
    I think he’s an exclusive to DC still but I’m not sure. I don’t know if Tomasi would ever make the jump, right now he gets to write Tec and focus on Bruce and Damian who are his two favorite characters. Gleason is a fantastic artist and he can write, and he gets to be on Spider-Man. I don’t think Tomasi would get that good a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That would be my guess as well. Seems to me that in order for their "low sales" reason for kicking King off to hold any water they are going to have to find someone who is not only a proven seller but that individual is going to have to sell at 100k plus consistency as well. Personally I'm not sure such a person exists that could follow in Snyder's footsteps with regard to sales at that level consistently and I really think it's a bit foolish of DC to try but I'm just a customer. Personally I believe the higher ups at DC got spoiled by Snyder's sales numbers so now they see anything less than 100k for a Batman book as being bad. That's just my opinion.
    Even people today act like Batman selling 100k is the “norm”. It’s not, Batman has always been at the top but 100k? That was a Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think he’s an exclusive to DC still but I’m not sure. I don’t know if Tomasi would ever make the jump, right now he gets to write Tec and focus on Bruce and Damian who are his two favorite characters. Gleason is a fantastic artist and he can write, and he gets to be on Spider-Man. I don’t think Tomasi would get that good a deal.

Even people today act like Batman selling 100k is the “norm”. It’s not, Batman has always been at the top but 100k? That was a Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo achievement.
    As late as 2002, the Batman title was averaging around 50.000 issues sold each month and hovered around the mid top 30 sales list. Hush, and a few years later the Nolan Batman films, really brought it back and in some ways it's still riding that wave.

As for a new writer, I'd be very surprised if it's not Bendis. There really is no one else available to them that wouldn't be seen as a downgrade, unless they pull someone completely unexpected and spectacular out of their ass or convince Snyder to write it again now thats it's going back to monthly (which I'm sure they'd love, BTW).
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I mentioned Matt Wagner already and it won't happen, but I'd love it.

And I am not suggesting Matt Wagner just because he's a great artist....he's a great Batman writer. Really one of my favorites.

I'd want Matt Wagner even if it meant he only drew certain issues or arcs of his own run.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

And I am not suggesting Matt Wagner just because he's a great artist....he's a great Batman writer. Really one of my favorites.

I'd want Matt Wagner even if it meant he only drew certain issues or arcs of his own run.
    Unfortunately, I wonder if Wagner may still be too pissed at DC because of what they did to his son Brennan Wagner.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    As late as 2002, the Batman title was averaging around 50.000 issues sold each month and hovered around the mid top 30 sales list. Hush, and a few years later the Nolan Batman films, really brought it back and in some ways it's still riding that wave.

As for a new writer, I'd be very surprised if it's not Bendis. There really is no one else available to them that wouldn't be seen as a downgrade, unless they pull someone completely unexpected and spectacular out of their ass or convince Snyder to write it again now thats it's going back to monthly (which I'm sure they'd love, BTW).
    That depends on who you talk to. A lot of people see anyone as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

If Wagner took over as writer, I might just pick up the book again.

He’s a great writer. IMO, Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of the best series ever published.

My hope is for James Tynion IV to succeed on the title. He's proven he's capable with the backups for Snyder and Capullo's Batman, the Legion of Doom issues of Batman, Detective Comics, and Justice League Dark. For what I imagine, he'd make the most sense.

I know Tom Taylor has so many projects on the go right now, but his work on Injustice, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, All-New Wolverine, and Batman Annual 3 (the Father's Day issue) proves he could be an excellent writer on the title.

And while it may be odd for me to say, Scott Snyder has said over and over again that if it were up to him, he'd write another decade's worth of Batman.

Ultimately, I believe that with the 6+ months before 2020, and the change to a publishing one issue instead of two issues per month, that we may get faster paced stories with a good head start. DC has probably already locked in the creative team so that they can start preparing for January 2020.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    That depends on who you talk to. A lot of people see anyone as an upgrade.
    ...which would be true regardless of who the current writer was. Still, disregarding personal taste, Vision, Sheriff of Bagdad, Omega Men and Mister Miracle make Tom King one of the biggest names currently working in the industry, there's no getting away from that.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Extraordinary Member

I'm also not really convinced that low sales is really the main reason. If they would really think that they would King hardly stick around for another 14 issues. And "Year of the Villains"/"City of Bane" will probably get the sales back up anyway quite soon.

On the other hand I'm still wondering how he got all these filler issues and experimental stuff he did since the wedding green lit in the first place.

Spectacular Member

Bleeding Cool's rumor is that they my place the rumored Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch Batman series here. It has been rumored at about 15 issues....which would take the book to the summer of 2021. I could then see Bendis finishing up Superman/Action Run by then and Bendis getting the Batman title or that of the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by twobit View Post
    Bleeding Cool's rumor is that they my place the rumored Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch Batman series here. It has been rumored at about 15 issues....which would take the book to the summer of 2021. I could then see Bendis finishing up Superman/Action Run by then and Bendis getting the Batman title or that of the Justice League.
    Yeah, I think it would be a great move by DC to put their big, expensive writer who hasn't seemed to increase sales on Superman on an even better selling franchise. (NOT.)

But, unfortunately, it's DC, and I have no idea what they "think" (if they "think") these days.

Yeah, I think it would be a great move by DC to put their big, expensive writer who hasn't seemed to increase sales on Superman on an even better selling franchise. (NOT.)

But, unfortunately, it's DC, and I have no idea what they "think" (if they "think") these days.
    Maybe if the Ellis/Hitch run is successful, they’ll just roll with it past #100?

Incredible Member

Bendis handles street level heroes better than the big cosmically powered ones though. I think he could do well on Batman if he sticks to his strengths.