Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    What about Gail Simone? She's never written either of the two main Batbooks.
    Now that I want to see. I don't remember how she writes Bruce. He shows up occasionally in her works but not long enough for me to get a feel of it other than the standard.

Gail Simone would be an awesome choice if she plays to her strengths: do the references game and make it fun; short wacky stories, down in the gutter; a hefty dollop of social awareness.

But I really doubt DC or the established readership is ready for something like that, and the creative whiplash would be something to behold.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Alright, this feels a wee bit morbid as the proverbial body ain't even cold yet (Why DC, why?)...But if forced to think of a writer who can do action, espionage and film noir styled writing, I would toss Ed Brubaker's hat in the ring (reluctantly because this seems so very wrong what DC is doing to King).
    This thread was begun on Monday, May 20th.

The Bleeding Cool posting about King being out was dated May 22nd.

It may just be a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I mean doesn't DC also want us to move on and forget the past anyway? The faster we can forget King's Batman the better then we can forget the next guy and on and on.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post

I mean doesn't DC also want us to move on and forget the past anyway? The faster we can forget King's Batman the better then we can forget the next guy and on and on.
    Hey, I'm definitely not a fan of King's Batman.

But I'm not sure why you quoted my reply when it was made in response to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Alright, this feels a wee bit morbid as the proverbial body ain't even cold yet (Why DC, why?)...But if forced to think of a writer who can do action, espionage and film noir styled writing, I would toss Ed Brubaker's hat in the ring (reluctantly because this seems so very wrong what DC is doing to King).
    NOTE: the emphasis in that post by Stingo was added by me.

Hey, I'm definitely not a fan of King's Batman.

But I'm not sure why you quoted my reply when it was made in response to:NOTE: the emphasis in that post by Stingo was added by me.
    I don't really have an opinion about King's Batman because I haven't been reading it. It was more of a sarcastic remark in general about the idea of comics moving on so fast. Poking fun at the idea of rebooting or writer switching. You were replying to him and I didn't think it mattered who I replied to since you were both talking about the idea of comics moving on from a writer.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Gail Simone would be an awesome choice if she plays to her strengths: do the references game and make it fun; short wacky stories, down in the gutter; a hefty dollop of social awareness.

But I really doubt DC or the established readership is ready for something like that, and the creative whiplash would be something to behold.
    I'm not sure if it's something they're interested in for the flagship Batman book, but you never know.

Arrow

Bendis, Simone, I can think of many options all of which would be better than King unless they to lose their mind once they take the helm and then write the characters, especially Bats, OOC.

But seriously, I want someone who cares about Batman and is preferably very knowledgable about his long history and rich supporting cast.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

I say Tom Taylor should, but no matter what, we now get to look forward to someone else writing Batman. It’s a good day.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Joelle Jones
    Cecil Castellucci
    Chris Preist

I think Taylor might get the book, but only for a short time. DC is going to want their main book to have an exclusive writer, so unless Taylor leaves FNSM I can’t see him staying on long term.

As for my own personal choice: Honestly DC really needs to get some new blood. They’ve basically sat on their hands since Rebirth while Marvel has gotten a ton of great new writers. Of the ones they’ve got now, only Priest really interests me as a possibility for Batman.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Matt Wagner

James Patrick (who wrote Batman Confidential #49)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

I will give Jones or Priest a shot on this

I want a writer who will ignore everything Tom King wrote, so according to cbr forums that would be Bendis...

In all seriousness though Bendis will get his turn eventually, I still want Priest to get a chance to write Batman, although I feel like Priest would get deep on topics like wealth and class and after having dealt with Tom King's fake deep intellectual writing fans may not be receptive to anything that seems similar.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Writers smart enough to do exceptional Batman should also be smart enough not to take over the series with the ghost of a martyred writer hanging over it. Taking over after a long run is hard enough without also facing the side-eye of other creators sympathizing with King and fans of the last run feeling that your book is fake.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate