Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 321
  1. #256
    Incredible Member Blue22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    623

    Default

    I enjoyed the non Batwoman parts of Tynion's Tec. I have much longer track record of enjoying his work than I do King's so while he wasn't my first choice (nor was he a choice I even considered) I'm fine with this.

  2. #257
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I enjoyed the non Batwoman parts of Tynion's Tec. I have much longer track record of enjoying his work than I do King's so while he wasn't my first choice (nor was he a choice I even considered) I'm fine with this.
    I think it helped his 'Tec run if you were more of a fan of Batwoman then Batman, because I think Tynion wrote Kate better then he wrote Bruce.

  3. #258
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I hope he continues his idea of having the bat family so connected like his detective run , even if the execution wasn’t always great.
    I actually agree that the execution of Tynion's Tec run sometimes slipped, even if it's in my top ten runs of all time. I'm worried that he got burnt out on the Batfam...but I hope he has the same fierce love of them that he's had for 7 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I don't always agree with Tynion's writing but he appreciates the fam unlike some people so while not my first choice it could've been much worse.
    Indeed!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like Tynion enough, but wouldn't have expected him to take over the main book even though it sounds like he's just a fill-in.

    I wonder if he'll use this run to address some of his leftover plot threads from his 'Tec run.
    I'd love to see him do that Cass/Shiva/Batman/Ra's story!

    And I didn't consider it, either, but it makes sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    There’s still Bat/Cat 12-issue series for you, as an alternative.
    I mean, I could now buy both, instead of just Bat/Cat!

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I enjoyed the non Batwoman parts of Tynion's Tec. I have much longer track record of enjoying his work than I do King's so while he wasn't my first choice (nor was he a choice I even considered) I'm fine with this.
    I didn't expect it at all, so this is a happy surprise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it helped his 'Tec run if you were more of a fan of Batwoman then Batman, because I think Tynion wrote Kate better then he wrote Bruce.
    I obviously had my own favorites of the characters he chose. I dunno if I'd say I was more a Kate than a Bruce fan, but Tynion definitely gave Kate more to do. But I love the way he writes Bruce.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  4. #259
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I obviously had my own favorites of the characters he chose. I dunno if I'd say I was more a Kate than a Bruce fan, but Tynion definitely gave Kate more to do. But I love the way he writes Bruce.
    His Bruce was so topsy-turvy for me. Sometimes I loved him, sometimes I didn't, but he just did not feel as strongly portrayed compared to how Kate came off.

    Like, I dunno...it felt like he really got Kate in a way he didn't with Bruce.

  5. #260
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    333

    Default

    My first thought was "oh, ok". Did not hate or love it. Figured it would be all right.

  6. #261

    Default

    Tynion honestly makes the most sense.

    If the book is going back to monthly, it means the expected "big new writer and direction" with issue 100 wouldn't hit for another year. During that year, DC's going to have whatever big mega event they've had planned spinning out of whatever Justice League is doing now. Having the co-writer of that book handling Batman makes sense. Even more so now that Batman, their biggest book, can be able to connect to big crossover events again now that it's free of King's 100+ issue game plan.

    Seems the most logical route to take to me.
    Last Read: Berserk vol. 40
    Monthly Pull List: Action Comics, Batman, Daredevil, Dead Man Logan, Detective Comics, Doomsday Clock, Event Leviathan, The Flash, Flash Forward, Kick-Ass, Legion of Superheroes: Millennium, Lois Lane, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Shazam!, Supergirl, Superman, Young Justice

  7. #262
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,066

    Default

    I wish Tom Taylor would replace Tom King.
    I like how he wrote Bruce and Selina's relationship in the Injustice Comics.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire.
    It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-...rfire-1975639/

    I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson.
    This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.
    http://www.facebook.com/SpiderManMaryJane/

  8. #263
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I wish Tom Taylor would replace Tom King.
    I like how he wrote Bruce and Selina's relationship in the Injustice Comics.
    Agreed. I really liked them in that.

  9. #264
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Tynion will be a serviceable writer, I thought his 'Tec run was pretty good (even great sometimes) despite some complaints, I'm more curious what they are gonna do with Luke Fox. I cringed at the idea at first BUT, thinking about it , it may be something interesting to see. Luke is such a nothing character to me, they could really do just about anything to flesh him out and do something interesting with his character.

    Plus, his Batwing suit is one of my favorite batfamily suits of all time, I'm curious to see what he'll look like as Batman and (ideally) something new independent of the Bat after the fact. However, I am worried they are gonna make him too mech-y/ironman-esque. If he's gonna be Black Batman I don't want him in a mobile tank blowing motherfuckers away, I want him to be Batman; in a costume with high-tech gear (not a suit of armor) giving people that work.

    I know Christopher Priest wouldn't do it but I sincerely hope they didn't do this so they can offer Preist the book, since his name has popped up a couple times about replacing King (he was my first pick).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-20-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Lantern.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  10. #265
    Spectacular Member Batknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    152

    Default

    So is he going to write this big Scarecrow story he wanted to do now that he's not writing the rest of the bat-family https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...13183518257152

  11. #266
    Mind Controller Arnoldoaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    If this is to be believed it really makes DC look stupid in my opinion. Allegedly "firing" King off of Batman for sales and hiring Tynion to try to come in and get it "back on track" is like firing tom cruise from a movie and thinking that replacing him with Shia Lebeouf will lead to an increase in tickets sold. Say what you will about King the guy is an eisner winner with at least 3 series that people have raved about ( Vision, Mr Miracle, Sheriff of babylon), his batman has been at or dang close to the top of the charts for 75+ issues. Tynion on the other hand, got let go early from Detective Comics, had a cancelled constantine book, a cancelled talon book and a horrible run on RHATO. He has proven time and time again that he can't write Batman well as evidenced by the fact that he has written almost 100+ appearances of Bruce and the only memorable one seems to be a cross over with the TMNT which would have been memorable with anyone writing it. His Tec' run showed he basically liked every character in the Batfamily more than bruce. While sure that isn't as huge of a problem if you are writing 'tec as a team book but taking over Bruce's solo book should sort of require someone who actually kinda likes or can write Batman. If tynion was getting a robins book, that would be cool but hiring the guy who will appeal to the batfans who don't like bruce doesn't seem to be a smart move. Bruce is the whole reason the batfamily exists and sells so well, hiring a writer who has proven he really has nothing to say about the character and kinda openly doesn't respect him all that much seems kinda dumb.

    Overall it is funny how didio went on his rant about people preferring the old stuff in the facsimile editions and then he immediately seems to have green lit two things that essentially explain exactly why some fans feel that way by making an uninspiring writer choice for DC's most popular book and setting up yet another "replacement" batman story.
    this the wrong take on many things
    first I dont think they are firing King of the book because of sales but rather because of how the direction was working out on the main Batman book, hence why King is still continuing his arc in Batman & Catwoman
    second point is that yeah Tynion is not that high level writer yet, but he is not meant to be a permanent replacement, he is only ere from 86-100 then someone else takes over
    if anything this kind of proves that DC needs some other high level writers but I wouldnt write off Tynion at all until we se what he will do. I for one loved his arcs in Tec and hoping to see more.

    and finally once again I dont understand why this is somehow Didio's fault, literally everything bad falls on him. but the rumor is that it was someone else, I believe Harras but i dont remember exactly, disliked the direction that King was taking the book so they use the lose of sales as an excuse to move him.

    I believe i might have post this already at the beginning of the thread
    overall
    I dont really mind what is going on
    at the end of the day we will still have the story that King wanted to tell, just that it will split between Batman and B&C, and then we will have someone getting a shot at writing the book while te next direction is being decided on.

  12. #267
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    So is he going to write this big Scarecrow story he wanted to do now that he's not writing the rest of the bat-family https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...13183518257152
    To be honest, I could totally have seen a Scarecrow 'Tec arc where the entire team has to deal with their greatest fear (which I guess was kind of what Brother Eye did), so long as it brought the team together instead of another "shake the team up" arc.

  13. #268
    Incredible Member regg215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    this the wrong take on many things
    first I dont think they are firing King of the book because of sales but rather because of how the direction was working out on the main Batman book, hence why King is still continuing his arc in Batman & Catwoman
    second point is that yeah Tynion is not that high level writer yet, but he is not meant to be a permanent replacement, he is only ere from 86-100 then someone else takes over
    if anything this kind of proves that DC needs some other high level writers but I wouldnt write off Tynion at all until we se what he will do. I for one loved his arcs in Tec and hoping to see more.

    and finally once again I dont understand why this is somehow Didio's fault, literally everything bad falls on him. but the rumor is that it was someone else, I believe Harras but i dont remember exactly, disliked the direction that King was taking the book so they use the lose of sales as an excuse to move him.

    I believe i might have post this already at the beginning of the thread
    overall
    I dont really mind what is going on
    at the end of the day we will still have the story that King wanted to tell, just that it will split between Batman and B&C, and then we will have someone getting a shot at writing the book while te next direction is being decided on.
    As far as the King stuff I honestly have no idea what happened. lots of people think he was fired but that doesn't exactly match given that it seems weird they let him immediately get another Batman book to essentially finish his story

    I think what bugs me about tynion is that he had a chance to write a pretty long extended arc on multiple batman books and essentially used bruce as window dressing to make sure that he could write a book about batwoman that wouldn't get cancelled for low sales. That and having Bruce act like an idiot or get one shoted to elevate other characters by making bruce look incompetent. Tynion on a Tim Drake, batwoman, cassie cain, spoiler or clayface book, I would be all for but he has tried to write Bruce and it really has not taken at all, sure some of the arcs were alright but most of those arcs ignored Bruce and focused on other characters, anything Bruce focused was him getting one punched by shiva, having a future version of Kate defeat and kill him or him having to get lectured by spoiler again and again and again. I get that it is a replacement arc but I gotta believe that someone like Priest or Bryan hill would do significantly better and could actually do something in that time instead of just punting for a year.

    As far as didio he is the guy in charge of it all, in the end if DC makes bad decisions I lay the responsibility at his feet. He called out that fans are seemingly preferring the older stuff and then either approved or allowed his most popular character to go through the exact stuff that people normally complain about. Handing Batman over to an at very best moderately successful writer who has already proven that he isn't exactly the biggest fan of the character to write a 6 month to a year long fill in arc that will probably have little to no lasting consequences, that looks like it is gonna lead to another new number one with the 3 or 4th "replacement batman" story in the last decade kinda encompasses the majority of the complaints that people have about comics. Essentially He complained about people preferring the older stuff and his solution was to allow or approve his number one character to go through all of the things fans complain about.
    Last edited by regg215; 09-20-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Favorite Characters

    Mr. Miracle, Big Barda, Batman,Thor(Odinson), James Bond, Darth Vader, Wolverine, Daredevil ,Elektra, Spider-Man, Superman, Green Arrow, Black Canary

  14. #269
    Mind Controller Arnoldoaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    I think what bugs me about tynion is that he had a chance to write a pretty long extended arc on multiple batman books and essentially used bruce as window dressing to make sure that he could write a book about batwoman that wouldn't get cancelled for low sales. That and having Bruce act like an idiot or get one shoted to elevate other characters by making bruce look incompetent. Tynion on a Tim Drake, batwoman, cassie cain, spoiler or clayface book, I would be all for but he has tried to write Bruce and it really has not taken at all, sure some of the arcs were alright but most of those arcs ignored Bruce and focused on other characters, anything Bruce focused was him getting one punched by shiva, having a future version of Kate defeat and kill him or him having to get lectured by spoiler again and again and again.
    To be honest here, I dont remember anything particularly positive or negative about Bruce on Tynion's tec.
    Mainly because that was a team book not a batman focussed book.

    I remember making clayface into a great tragic character that has not been done properly since B:TAS, I remember the focus on Cass wanting to be a dancer, what a simple and great idea.
    the practice with Azrael on the simulated reality thing that no one could beat but him. the way that the relation between Zatana and Bruce changed. the arc with Anarchy and Spoiler, the "death" of Tim Drake
    and many other great moments

    I dont even remember Bruce fighting Shiva(which also, not the first time Bruce ever lost to her), but I do remember Cass Cain fighting her which was the point of that arc

    My point is that you are pretty much focusing to much on the negatives and not enough of the positives

    As far as didio he is the guy in charge of it all, in the end if DC makes bad decisions I lay the responsibility at his feet.
    I have seen a lot of people doing this and I disagree
    mainly because under that same argument then every single good thing on DC is also thanks to him

    so besides being extremely unfair you have to see that the reality is just not as simple as that
    not everything bad that happen is his fault and not everything good that happens is thanks to him
    Its way more complicated

    However
    to me personally I read a lot of DC now and was reading a lot of DC before and for the last 10 years every single week.
    as for Marvel, prior to Hickman's X-men reboot which im enjoying a lot, I was reading 0, not a single marvel book before that for over a year. to me that says that Didio is overall doing a good job.

  15. #270
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    His Bruce was so topsy-turvy for me. Sometimes I loved him, sometimes I didn't, but he just did not feel as strongly portrayed compared to how Kate came off.

    Like, I dunno...it felt like he really got Kate in a way he didn't with Bruce.
    What I would say is the heart of the "problem" with Tynion is that he didn't write an arc for Bruce. He wrote an arc for every other character - Kate with the Colony and her dad, Tim with the Knights, Steph with Tim and Batman, Cass with her mother (which was unfinished due to the run being cut short), Clayface with Cass and Viktoria, Jean-Paul with Ascalon - I guess you could say Luke never got a full arc, but I still loved him.

    But Bruce was just there, trying to support his family. His desires don't change from the beginning to the end. And I don't mind that - because as I've said, until King, I never really wanted Bruce to have an arc, because the writers were never interested in doing anything but build him up then drag him back down (see also: Hush). With King, I have hope that he'll actually get a tiny bit futher up the mountain of life. (And if he doesn't, as I've said many times, I'm gonna be pretty down on King.) So Tynion's idea of Bruce as a complicated guy, but one who wants the best for his family and his city? I'm on board with that. Now, if he's writing the main title, I think he's probably gonna give Bruce some arcs. Which will be cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    So is he going to write this big Scarecrow story he wanted to do now that he's not writing the rest of the bat-family https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...13183518257152
    That sounds pretty cool! Though after Batman and Robin Eternal, which was sort of a Scarecrow story, I dunno what he wants to do with Crane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    To be honest here, I dont remember anything particularly positive or negative about Bruce on Tynion's tec.
    Mainly because that was a team book not a batman focussed book.

    I remember making clayface into a great tragic character that has not been done properly since B:TAS, I remember the focus on Cass wanting to be a dancer, what a simple and great idea.
    the practice with Azrael on the simulated reality thing that no one could beat but him. the way that the relation between Zatana and Bruce changed. the arc with Anarchy and Spoiler, the "death" of Tim Drake
    and many other great moments

    I dont even remember Bruce fighting Shiva(which also, not the first time Bruce ever lost to her), but I do remember Cass Cain fighting her which was the point of that arc

    My point is that you are pretty much focusing to much on the negatives and not enough of the positives

    I have seen a lot of people doing this and I disagree
    mainly because under that same argument then every single good thing on DC is also thanks to him

    so besides being extremely unfair you have to see that the reality is just not as simple as that
    not everything bad that happen is his fault and not everything good that happens is thanks to him
    Its way more complicated

    However
    to me personally I read a lot of DC now and was reading a lot of DC before and for the last 10 years every single week.
    as for Marvel, prior to Hickman's X-men reboot which im enjoying a lot, I was reading 0, not a single marvel book before that for over a year. to me that says that Didio is overall doing a good job.
    I think this is a good reminder to myself not to always blame Didio. I still think he's used his significant influence to make some things a lot worse (War Games, the n52), but I also think he's worked hard to make some really good stuff, like Rebirth.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •