Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Awww screw it....just bring back morrison....let him marry off Bruce and Selena and Bruce retires. The Morrison can go back to Dick as Batman with Damian as Robin, which he said he would have written for a long time had DC not told him he needed to bring back Bruce.

Stepan Sejic twitted this : https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/sta...19066697965570

It's not for an ongoing, but why not giving him the reins ?

Astonishing Member

Because he is not a writer. He is an artist first. His attempts at trying to write comics have not really been successes (such as the Teen Witchblade book). And DC's attempts of getting artists to be writers have been failures especially with the batbooks as we saw with Tony Daniel and David Finch.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.

I'm not Stjepan Šejić is the best fit, creatively speaking, for writing Batman. He seems to write his best with wacky personal drama and slice of life stories, preferably with lots of sexy and bondage.

What I'd do if I was the Batbook editor was to open DC's address book and send out an open call to everyone in it: send me your best pitch for a single-issue Batman story, with fourteen or so winners.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    The fact that they'd prefer a bunch of filler for seven months over letting King just finish out his story is utterly baffling.
    But, how much of King's Batman run has basically been labeled as "filler" by people reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But, how much of King's Batman run has basically been labeled as "filler" by people reading it?
    How much of Waiting for Godot was labeled meaningless nonsense by critics when it premiered? Answer: all of it, by every critic, in its French and American premieres.

Flash forward about 50 years and it was voted "most important play of the 20th century" in a survey of top theatre critics.

It's really easy for an editor (or theatre producer) to preside over and nurture things that are very like what's come before.

It takes a lot of guts to oversee something that's in any way intrepid.

"Godot" is obviously not the only example of this. It's the rule, not the exception. How many Columbia Records executives wanted to sign Bob Dylan? Answer: one, John Hammond, Jr. How many of them wanted to drop Dylan after his first record and took to calling him "Hammond's Folly?" Answer: All of them.

I'm not suggesting King's Batman is a Dylan or Beckett. I'm saying that in industries that succeed by repeating past successes are NEVER comfortable shepherding forward anything that breaks the mold. That kind of grass always has to bust through a concrete sidewalk.

It's why we never got to read Alan Moore's Twilight of the Gods. It's a rational but inherently self-defeating business practice. Without high risk there is never very high reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Stepan Sejic twitted this : https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/sta...19066697965570

Art-wise? Sure .

Shouldn't that be "tweeted"?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones
    How much of Waiting for Godot was labeled meaningless nonsense by critics when it premiered?
    Really?

All I did was reply to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    The fact that they'd prefer a bunch of filler for seven months over letting King just finish out his story is utterly baffling.
    Then all I did was point out that some people reading it (King's run so far) have complained that some of King's run on Batman has felt like "filler" to get to that awesomely magical issue #100.

Really?

All I did was reply to this:Then all I did was point out that some people reading it (King's run so far) have complained that some of King's run on Batman has felt like "filler" to get to that awesomely magical issue #100.
    I don't see how what he said did not relate to what you were talking about.

You said that many people see the run to be filler, and he talked about how the view of some works evolve over time.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I don't see how what he said did not relate to what you were talking about.

You said that many people see the run to be filler, and he talked about how the view of some works evolve over time.
    I felt the lecture on Samuel Beckett and Bob Dylan was a wee bit of overkill . . .

I felt the lecture on Samuel Beckett and Bob Dylan was a wee bit of overkill . . .
    It seemed like a thoughtful response to me.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think Taylor might get the book, but only for a short time. DC is going to want their main book to have an exclusive writer, so unless Taylor leaves FNSM I can’t see him staying on long term.
    Actually, look at the solicit for Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #11. Sounds like a finale. I think he IS off FNSM.

FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #11
    TOM TAYLOR (W) • TBA (A)
    Cover by ANDREW C. ROBINSON
    Bring on the Bad Guys
    Variant Cover by TBA
    • All the threads laid down since #1 come together in a way that you’ll never see coming!
    • The Rumor, Under-York, & [CLASSIFIED] come colliding together all while May and Peter deal with her condition!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    https://www.newsarama.com/45292-marv...citations.html
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

He responded on Twitter
    he is doing a Black Label book, 3 issues, oversize, 60 pages per issue

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/sta...22483868758017

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Before issue 100, DC should hire a renowned writer who has never worked in comics before for a brief 15 issue run ala Dardevil - Green Arrow Kevin Smith.

I'm thinking someone among the lines of...

Quintin Tarantino
    J.K. Rowling
    George R.R. Martin
    Stephen King*

*(Yeah yeah, he worked on American Vampire, but merely as a writer of the back up stories for the first 5 issues so it doesn't really count, does it now?

This would generate massive hype, but 15 issues is sparse enough to be reasonable for these probably very busy individuals.