BANNED

Default Jonathan Hickman and his take on Marvel's first Family the FF..

Hickman's Fantastic Four run and his Secret Wars run dealt more with the Fantastic Four, but his Avengers run dealt more with the lead into Secret Wars and allowing the Fantastic Four to have one last hurrah for the time being.

Now I worry about his X-men run and who's to say that the Fantastic Four will not invade that storyline either ?

I mean was there ever a proper ending to the Avengers with the heroes WINNING, and don't say Infinity as that is just a lead into Secret Wars in a way ?

Am I the only one who feels something off with this ?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Hickman's Fantastic Four run and his Secret Wars run dealt more with the Fantastic Four, but his Avengers run dealt more with the lead into Secret Wars and allowing the Fantastic Four to have one last hurrah for the time being.

Now I worry about his X-men run and who's to say that the Fantastic Four will not invade that storyline either ?

I mean was there ever a proper ending to the Avengers with the heroes WINNING, and don't say Infinity as that is just a lead into Secret Wars in a way ?

Hmmm... interesting question, I wouldn't say the heroes didn't win per se.

For Hickman, each character had a personal victory; for example, Thor became worthy right before his glorious death and many characters gave their lives for the greater good. Villains lost like Thanos, the various criminals of the Marvel U when they were gunned down by Punisher (which I guess is a win for him) and some heroes became villains like Stark

I can't really say that Hickman's Avengers was a strait good vs evil story, because can we really say Doom was evil? After all he was trying to save creation from total destruction and for that he was rewarded with a new lease on life.

The only way I see the FF crossing over with the X-Men is if Franklin Richards gets involved, seeing that he is a Omega level mutant.

I think we have to wait and see, especially with Hickman I mean we are talking about a multi-year storyline.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FF taking up panel space in the X-Men books.

He did his send-off for them in Secret Wars, wrapping up his story for them. I think part of the reason they were in the last moments of his Avengers run and Secret Wars was because he wasn't fully finished with their book, he still had more stories to tell with them. That's no longer the case.

Plus the X-Men are his favourite team, which also lessens the likelihood of the FF showing up in any significant way. At most you may see Franklin, but even that is unlikely.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the FF taking up panel space in the X-Men books.

He did his send-off for them in Secret Wars, wrapping up his story for them. I think part of the reason they were in the last moments of his Avengers run and Secret Wars was because he wasn't fully finished with their book, he still had more stories to tell with them. That's no longer the case.

Plus the X-Men are his favourite team, which also lessens the likelihood of the FF showing up in any significant way. At most you may see Franklin, but even that is unlikely.
    I'd imagine Franklin Richards is a good possibility for many X-writers. Granted, the level of power and omega level mutants are fairly common in the X-books, but Franklin offers a novel oppotunity to combine the secluded Xs with the rest of the Marvel characters. Personally, I'm not for it, but I can't deny the story possibilities therein. Now, as is being speculated in the DC world, writers gain and lose authority and their stories may gain or lose importance. Is Slott's view of Franklin dramatically different than Hickman's? I think Hickman's story made Franklin's power an easier aspect of the story. Slott's stuff is more low-key and the universe creating kid doesn't fit as well.

But my recollection is that the X-folks are well stocked with young attractive women. And that may be all the X-Men need to get Frankie over for a visit.

Mighty Member

I just hope he retcons Slott's stupid concept of "mutant powers have a limited amount of time to be used before running out" bullshit. You don't even need a long convoluted explanation. One balloon would do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

His New Avengers book was deliberately following some of the direction established in Fantastic Four. In the F4 book the fates of T'Challa and Reed are tied together 'Beyond Death'. The end game of Hickman's Avengers runs was always going to include that idea, that everything died and that Reed's actions would help save Wakanda.

This did not necessitate Secret Wars being a last hurrah for the Fantastic Four, that was circumstantial. Hickman was told that the Fantastic Four were being cancelled and he reshaped the story to make it more about those characters.

An unfortunate consequence of this is that the T'Challa thread was somewhat under-emphasised and lead to many being confused by what his story was about. He effectively goes to the world that exists after death and controlled an army of the dead to help defeat Doom. Then, as the world is being reshaped he uses an infinity stone and reincarnates his dead kingdom complete with all of his dead subjects in the newly reformed universe.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

See Hickmans first “saga” as everything from Secret Warriors ending with Secret Wars.

His X-Men run will be something new. He’s told that other story.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    See Hickmans first “saga” as everything from Secret Warriors ending with Secret Wars.

His X-Men run will be something new. He’s told that other story.
    I agree with this. X-Men will be new and different from the stories told with FF & Avengers.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir