Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How we engage with Spider-Man as entertainment

this article reminded me of (many many maaaany) conversations on this board.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/...rite-star-wars

the author on why he stopped reading morrison’s batman

There was a time, a bit after I got out of college, that the writer charting the direction of the Batman line made a number of decisions I didn’t like. I could feel the heat rising in my face every time I read a new issue. Beloved characters were killed off, while others were abandoned by the narrative for the sake of his new favorites. How dare he ignore years of characterization in favor of a take on the character I knew to be wrong?
    the rest i’ll leave for anyone interested in clicking
    troo fan or death

I use new Spider-Man comics to make my horcruxes. I'm in too deep now!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

I wonder if he uses headcanon to make his reading experience better? He doesn't go into specifics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    this article reminded me of (many many maaaany) conversations on this board.

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2019/...rite-star-wars

the author on why he stopped reading morrison’s batman
    The author is a she. Susana Polo.

The article is nice and all, and sincere though I don't know about using words like "social contract" and so on.

Don't see how this article or its argument applies remotely to Spider-Man though. It cuts both ways s'far as I'm concerned. I am sure that the ones who called for the marriage to be undone or retconned when that status-quo happened and so on, are in the same boat as the people doing a harmless petition (with over 1 million signatures) doing a protest against the current season, or calling for TLJ to be removed from the canon and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

The article is nice and all, and sincere though I don't know about using words like "social contract" and so on.

Don't see how this article or its argument applies remotely to Spider-Man though. It cuts both ways s'far as I'm concerned. I am sure that the ones who called for the marriage to be undone or retconned when that status-quo happened and so on, are in the same boat as the people doing a harmless petition (with over 1 million signatures) doing a protest against the current season, or calling for TLJ to be removed from the canon and so on.
    thank you for pulling me up on that. my bias was showing

i didn’t think it related to spider-man as such, but convos i‘ve had here or seen. may have been before your time, the board is less volatile these days. but as you say, they’re in the same boat...doesn’t that suggest it applies? or did i read that wrong?
    Last edited by boots; 05-21-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I use new Spider-Man comics to make my horcruxes. I'm in too deep now!

you are the one who was foretold. who will break fandom
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I wonder if he uses headcanon to make his reading experience better? He doesn't go into specifics.

it may be that, or it may be a certain level of disengagement
    troo fan or death

Incredible Member

I am going to discuss my convictions. I am a shy, awkward, nerd. I am Conservative. I am Christian. I do not profane. I do not drink or do drugs. I believe there are boundaries with women, which is pre-marriage, and marriage.

Most of my enjoyable readings of new Spider-Man was when I first started reading in 1995 up to 2000, the compounded John Byrne / killing off Mary Jane thing. I returned on early 2003, when Mary Jane returned to Peter's life, up to late 2007, when I briefly skimmed a part of "One More Day" in a bookstore comic rack, and placed it back, picking up an issue of Paul Dini's Detective Comics instead, then went on to reading Batman for a while, then Superman, then DC, before attempting to give the Marvel Universe another shot.

My favorite runs on Spidey was Kurt Busiek / Pat Oliffe's Untold Tales of Spider-Man, JM DeMatteis / Luke Ross' Spectacular Spider-Man, Paul Jenkins' runs on Peter Parker Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man, and Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Grown to love all but two cartoons of Spidey 1994 - up, which the exclusions be Spider-Man Unlimited and MTV, but the only Spider-Man movies I can truly relate to, would be the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies with Tobey Maguire.

I respect a Spidey who jokes funny jokes while battling the most colorful villains of comicbookdom, I respect a Peter / Spidey who does not say four-letter words, which unfortunately, his casual letting out on "d-words" started about on early twenty first century. I respect a Peter who does not drink, honors his Uncle / father figure, loves his friends, including Jonah, loves his Aunt / mother figure, loves his Wife / soulmate. I do not respect a Peter Parker / Spidey who sleeps around with women, MJ included, without the ring.

Saw that article before. I really agree with it, esp. the part about not having to like every aspect of something you like and accepting that there will always be elements that you don't; I think it an easy trap to fall into and not only can limit you from trying new things in the franchise that might be good, but can also cause you to sour on the already-made stuff you already like.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

There is a messiness in that those stories are supposed to end, whereas Spider-Man is meant to keep on going.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There is a messiness in that those stories are supposed to end, whereas Spider-Man is meant to keep on going.
    Star Wars isn't any longer a story without an ending. There will be more Star Wars after the current trilogy and set in the same continuity moreover.

Star Wars isn't any longer a story without an ending. There will be more Star Wars after the current trilogy and set in the same continuity moreover.
    Well, kinda; the franchise may go on, but that specific story, the Saga, will have an end (unless we get spinoffs and all that, but still).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, kinda; the franchise may go on, but that specific story, the Saga, will have an end (unless we get spinoffs and all that, but still).
    Yeah, that's more of a comparison with the entire Marvel Universe than with Spider-Man's story. Miles Morales and Kamala Khan may have new adventures when Peter Parker's story is over, but fans of Peter won't get new stories.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah, that's more of a comparison with the entire Marvel Universe than with Spider-Man's story. Miles Morales and Kamala Khan may have new adventures when Peter Parker's story is over, but fans of Peter won't get new stories.
    I doubt Peter stories will ever end
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Spider-Man is not entertainment. It is a faith, a religion, driven by organization, mantras, and ethics fueled by guilt. With interpretations of the text creating factions, branches, and a fluid official dogma.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate