Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

I am reading Age of X-man. I have Marvelous X-men, Prisoner X, and the The Xtremists on my pull list. I also pick up Apocalypse and the Xtracts. I read Nextgen online. I enjoy Prisoner X and Apocalypse and the Xtracts. I do like the Xtremists. I find Marvelous X-men to the weakest title by far. Every issue feels like the same issue. I think Age of X-man has some great ideas, but the execution feels off. It feels very hollow. I also see a lot of misogyny in these books (how the women are portrayed, how they keep getting kissed without consent, how less powerful they are in this world, how Magneto and X-man are still strong but Storm and Jean seem weak in power and personality, etc). We see Colossus, Eye Boy, and Blob pine over women but we don't see the same perspective from the women. These books are written with the male as point of view. It is gross. The Jean and Bishop thing was about Bishop and not Jean. There is too much centering of the straight dude bros for my taste.

A whole X-men series about sex and love (or lack thereof) should be more interesting. It should be dynamic. I almost hate to post my critique, because folks I follow (and somewhat like) on twitter hate on the Age of X-man haters. They act like we just don't get it or that we are mad at the lack of action. Well GM's New X-men run didn't always have a lot of action and it is the standard on how I judge X-men stories. You don't need action if you have exciting and dynamic plot and dialogue.

Age of X-man, so far has been a let down but it isn't all bad. I just wish it was over. I also slightly hate myself for spending so much on a series that is not enjoyable. But as an X-fan I think we kinda get into this mode where we hate what we love and we keep hoping it gets better and it seldom does (but I have high hopes for Hickman's run so things might improve).

I’m kinda curious to what degree Marvel is taking the general apathy towards Age if X-Men into account when it comes to future plans for X-Men. Between sales and the fact that it seems for the most part that people just don’t really care, I hope they’re taking notes.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I’m kinda curious to what degree Marvel is taking the general apathy towards Age if X-Men into account when it comes to future plans for X-Men. Between sales and the fact that it seems for the most part that people just don’t really care, I hope they’re taking notes.
    Hopefully they'll stay away from this sorts of events.

Not sure what Marvel can learn from it actually. Except maybe not going back to the AU-well anytime soon.

Seems clear this was a temporary stop-gap while waiting for Hickman (Bleeding Cool wrote something to that effect a long time ago), and not something that will happen that often in the future.

They could perhaps have tried to disguise that fact a little better, now the retailers and readers were on to them too soon.

No.

I read the start off book and #1 of AatE but just wasn't digging the concept, so didn't even bother with NG, which I had been looking forward to.

I'd rather reread AoA, which imo is THE benchmark AU series.

BANNED

It's so so so boring

Bland art and blander story

It's not AoA

I read only the 1st issues of each book

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Not sure what Marvel can learn from it actually. Except maybe not going back to the AU-well anytime soon.
    Learning how to sell something that isn't a traditional "vs" event might be something useful for the marketing dept. to take away from this.

BANNED

I don’t think they are taking notes. They are just gonna continue with their “wokeness” no matter how badly it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    I don’t think they are taking notes. They are just gonna continue with their “wokeness” no matter how badly it sells.
    What the what?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yes, I am—but only because I purchased so many in advance as preorders. This was before they revealed Hickman's plans, which they knew about for more than a year...

In a recent podcast with Jordan D. White, he admitted that they knew Uncanny was also a maxi-series, but didn't want to call it that because...and then they stumbled over their words because he realized that essentially Marvel just lied to us as consumers and readers to make sales for both Uncanny and AoX...

I have long since stopped hoping for a competent story in this event. It feels like nothingness, just episodic incidents with reoccurring characters who are out of character because it's an alt-world. What I'm really interested in is if anything is remaining into HoX and PoX from AoX. Some people said the writers said relationships would stay, but Hickman and Jordan's interviews seem to say that they created these stories last minute to make more time before injecting Hickman's work, and they told the writers to "go wild and have fun with it", like a last minute hoorah.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Yes, I am—but only because I purchased so many in advance as preorders. This was before they revealed Hickman's plans, which they knew about for more than a year...

In a recent podcast with Jordan D. White, he admitted that they knew Uncanny was also a maxi-series, but didn't want to call it that because...and then they stumbled over their words because he realized that essentially Marvel just lied to us as consumers and readers to make sales for both Uncanny and AoX...

I have long since stopped hoping for a competent story in this event. It feels like nothingness, just episodic incidents with reoccurring characters who are out of character because it's an alt-world. What I'm really interested in is if anything is remaining into HoX and PoX from AoX. Some people said the writers said relationships would stay, but Hickman and Jordan's interviews seem to say that they created these stories last minute to make more time before injecting Hickman's work, and they told the writers to "go wild and have fun with it", like a last minute hoorah.
    JDW really lied and it wasn't a nice thing to do. I had some expectations, now I have to deal that nothing from AOX will carry out.

Seems like people even being lied weren't convinced that it would matter and only got worse when Hickman was announced.

*frantically panicking* uh...umm......hngnnn...Nature Girl is getting a new power!

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    *frantically panicking* uh...umm......hngnnn...Nature Girl is getting a new power!
    *snerk* Makes it all worth it, yeah. Though, really, Marvelous X-Men gave me the only version of Nature Girl I've been even remotely interested in. Latour's was a cipher and Strain's read like a Disney Princess who'd just joined PETA instead of someone with a deeper understanding of nature. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    JDW really lied and it wasn't a nice thing to do. I had some expectations, now I have to deal that nothing from AOX will carry out.

Seems like people even being lied weren't convinced that it would matter and only got worse when Hickman was announced.
    At this point, I hate to be a downer, but the only thing keeping interest in the X-Men and this relaunch is Hickman's name alone. It makes you wonder if Marvel knew this and that's why they decided to advertise him, as a writer, first before his project. Hickman is carrying the X-Men, lol.