All-New Member

Default Newbie Old Guy With 200+ Childhood SA Marvels Needs Helpie

First time on a comic book forum and after a few hours perusing posts, it's pretty clear that I don't know diddly about my collection. Said collection came about because my thoughtful Mother saved them all. Bless her.

So, my question to the experts is, how would one go about selling these? I've read a lot on grading and my best guess is, the vast majority of them are GD-VG.

I also have a single #1 issue along with a fair number of other single digit books.

Titles include FF, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Thor, Avengers, X-Men, etc., etc.

They have been stored upright in bags in dedicated comic boxes for decades and kept cool and dry.

I picked up ComicBase and entered all the data but it isn't the most friendly piece of software.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Amazing Member

What decade are we talking? Those heroes have rebooted their titles repeatedly, so a "single digit issue" of X-Men could be 60s, 90s, a couple of years ago, etc.

90s Marvel comics are generally in oversupply because so many were printed and then bagged, boarded, and hoarded.

eBay can give you some idea what specific issues have sold for recently to gauge the value of your collection.

All-New Member

RB: Thanks for the response...

I have perused eBay and other places to try and learn a bit more about grading and values but as you well know, a single step in the grading scale can mean a dramatic change in value. I don't see me paying to have them all graded but perhaps I should for the potentially more valuable issues.

All my comics are from the early to mid '60's.

I scanned a couple issues thinking the images might give you a better idea of what I have although I don't know if you can discern anything from them. Here's the link:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkDXxHaQQqYmx1LoDseTnKvDw75-

TIA,

KB

All-New Member

It would seem that this forum isn't quite as helpful as I've experienced on different subjects in a multitude of other forums. I'm just a retired fella with a childhood collection of comics that I would like to sell.

I'll keep looking for the right place, thanks for your time.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Only saw this now, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to pricing silver aged comics but that Fantastic Four issue is the first appearance of Molecule Man. That's not insignificant. On ebay a graded copy can go for a few hundred dollars, but even without grading you could probably get $90-$100 dollars for a motivated buyer.

Daredevil #4 is the first appearance of the Purple Man if I recall correctly. I'm having a hard time finding a price, but I'm going to assume it's comparable to FF #20 if not more valuable. Purple Man is a fairly popular villain, and was the main antagonist of the recent Jessica Jones series on Netflix. He was played by an actor with a very large fanbase who might be willing to pay a lot for it.

If you have more issues of Daredevil or Fantastic Four around those issues, you probably have a few considerable first appearances. Naturally how much you can get from them varies greatly, but you may very well have a valuable collection here. Try searching up individual issues for first appearances of characters.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 05-24-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.