Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should Marvel do more crossovers with other companies?

It seems like DC has been doing a lot of crossovers with IDW comics (Batman/TMNT, Star Trek/Green Lantern, Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern, etc), they even made a TMNT vs. Batman direct to DVD animated movie. Meanwhile, I do not think that Marvel has had a crossover with another company in several years.

Should Marvel do more crossovers with other companies? What crossovers would you like to see? Also, why do think Marvel has not had a crossover with another company in a while, is it because Disney does not play well with other companies?

Good heavens, no! Have you ever seen the length of the legal contracts that have to be in place for such crossovers???? We don't need to kill any more rain forests just so we can have a contract to do a comic book crossover.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

from my perspective, definitely not. it would dilute the brand. if i wanted to read about non-marvel characters i would spend my money on their books.

Yes. Tatsunoko Productions. That is all.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Inter-company crossovers can be fun. They can be a licensing nightmare, but generally speaking I don't mind them any more than I do a crossover between Marvel characters. If I like both franchises being represented, and the project has some talent put on it I may be interested.

Seeing characters mesh together from different worlds, or finding a way to have them feel cohesive a part of the same world. It can make for a fun reading experience.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

more are needed with the right creative teams.

iMan 42s

I don't see why Marvel couldn't. Nothing is really stopping them.

The reason you more often than not don't is because between companies like the "Big two" you find a lot of stipulations when it comes to portrayal. Nobody wants their characters to be portrayed poorly and it can take months to approve one issue because it has to get approvals out of both parties involved. That's why you see companies typically buying a license instead to produce work since it's just smoother. Picking up Conan and having him meet the Avengers is far easier than having to negotiate with the current license holder.

Granted Marvel is in an interesting position now considering it's parent company (Disney) just recently picked up Fox. So negotiations for a crossover between Fox properties would go a lot smoother since it's all "in the same house". They would have to go through Darkhorse, but Darkhorse isn't all that apprehensive about inter-company crossovers (Archie versus Predator, I'm not even kidding). So should there be demand for a crossover with a Fox property, Marvel and Darkhorse could feasibly do it.

Personally I would be interested in a crossover between Hellraiser and Doctor Strange but I don't think anybody really knows where all the rights for that property went.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I'm not sure it's worth it from Marvels end, given those sort of things are usually a logistical headache as far as liscensing, and those sort of projects aren't massive sellers anyways.

But from purely a personal standpoint, I think they can be fun. To this day, one of the funnest comics I've ever read was Archie meets Punisher. Still waiting for the sequal to that with Wolverine it teased.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    It seems like DC has been doing a lot of crossovers with IDW comics (Batman/TMNT, Star Trek/Green Lantern, Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern, etc), they even made a TMNT vs. Batman direct to DVD animated movie. Meanwhile, I do not think that Marvel has had a crossover with another company in several years.

Should Marvel do more crossovers with other companies? What crossovers would you like to see? Also, why do think Marvel has not had a crossover with another company in a while, is it because Disney does not play well with other companies?
    I'd certainly like to see it. Batman/TMNT, Star Trek/Green Lantern, JL/Power Rangers... those were all very fun reads.

Marvel vs. Capcom comics please!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'd certainly like to see it. Batman/TMNT, Star Trek/Green Lantern, JL/Power Rangers... those were all very fun reads.
    It's just a shame JLPR had an incompatible villain/zord combo - it used both Lord Zedd and the Dinozords, but Zedd destroyed the Dinozords in his first appearance on TV, meaning that the rangers should've had the Thunderzords instead.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

They should. I really don't know if Disney really does have Marvel on a short leash when it comes to intercompany crossovers, but I hope it's not the case. I'd love to see another Marvel/DC crossover.

No. Why anyone buys them is beyond me. I have read one crossover comic in the last decade, the Tom King Batman WB cross, and while it was undoubtedly clever and enjoyable, it was ultimately disposable and a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Marvel vs. Capcom comics please!
    considering the video games I'm wondering why this was never explored for a mini series or one-shots. separate from any "real" continuity. just go for it have fun.

They did do an Attack on Titan crossover a few years ago in an FCBD issue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman