Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics#1011 Discussion and Spoilers

Sawyer and her Crimes Unit arrive to arrest Kate Spencer, but the Manhunter easily overpowers them and escapes. Clark finds Lois safe and sound in London, she has all the data collected on Spiral from Tiger, Lois calls Perry and tells him about the scoop, Perry asks for a second source, Clark suggests they go back for Tiger, but Tiger is killed. The two then visit Huntress before returning to the fortress to find Amanda has escaped and laid out Jimmy. Jimmy says it's because he accused her of running Leviathan. Lois has a headache from all of the flying around and Clark gives her a nice cuddle (and yes, she calls him Smallville..as well as Krypton when they're around Jimmy). Superman, Lois and Jimmy cover the range of destruction left by Leviathan and find there are no bodies. Superman describes his experiences with the weapon from last issue, and that the blue energy explosions don't feel like disintergrations. Jimmy thinks it could be a long-range teleporter.

Menawhile, Guardian is visited in hospital by an unknown person who tells him the one thing he's fought for all his life will be in place by tomorrow morning.

Ended a little more definitely than I expected, but I guess the real lead in will be next week's Special. Liked that they pulled Huntress in as well, and the offer to Guardian was unexpected but very interesting.

Sam Lane would seem to be out as Leviathan given he was still in his hospital bed at the time they were meeting with Guardian. Bendis made a point of dropping that line several times. It's either misdirection or he wants that closed off. Still he has potential as a suspect. I could even see Lois' revelation to him making him more willing to bring heroes into Leviathan. But the timing there is off. Still think it's unlikely.

I wonder if Waller leaks the Lois/Superman picture in retaliation for Lois writing about her as Leviathan. Seems unlikely but possible.

And another issue where I liked Lois' characterization and voice here. And Lois with the touch of Bendis Speak continues to remind me of Erika Durance. Which I'm liking quite a bit. Plus, next week we get Rucka on Lois Lane!

The only thing I didn't like was Clark's not telling Jimmy. That was a good moment to do it and Jimmy deserves to know. I get Jimmy isn't in a great place at the moment, but I hope eventually he's let in on it.

why does jimmy look like a kid
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Uh oh, Bendis also snuck in a swipe at the 12Chan boards...an off-shoot of 4Chan known for promoting NSFW imagery of underage children.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...n-comics-1011/

well as disgusting as that is I wont blame Bendis, I assume he had no idea it was a real place. I never heard of it, but it should be edited out of digital and reprints asap.

Astonishing Member

Does Bendis think Tiger is British? Lot's of "bloody" this and that, which is normally a clue that an American is trying to "do Brit".

Presumably Huntress here is the role that was going to be Nightwing, back when Bendis was teasing an appearance in this issue?

(Very good issue, loving this story and can't wait for the Special next week - but for now, all my thoughts are Grayson nostalgia thoughts!)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Does Bendis think Tiger is British? Lot's of "bloody" this and that, which is normally a clue that an American is trying to "do Brit".
    Spyral headquarter, the St. Hadrian, is in London. That's probably where he got that.

Anyone else think Epting's Lois looks like Lena Headey?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Pretty much just a lead-in to the Leviathan Event but I enjoyed it. Let’s see how Bendis handles his first big DC event.

My only complaint is I still think Jimmy should know Clark’s Secret. It’s dumb that he doesn’t and that development was one of the things I enjoyed about the New 52.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Spyral headquarter, the St. Hadrian, is in London. That's probably where he got that.
    A lot of times in your various James Bonds and whatever else your various "Exiled Afghan Princes" are often British educated. And yeah Spyral, located in Britain. Don't think we need more explanation than that, but I did notice the predominance of "bloodies" and such. I can roll. Except for the part where they almost definitely mistakenly listed Kate Kane as "Spyral Spymaster" in that one panel. That part still jars.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Jimmy getting one over on Waller was kind of amazing, and frankly it doesn't feel one bit like character shilling. I absolutely believe Waller assuming he's just some kid with a camera, crushing it and going about her business. That he'd be capable enough to automatically back up to a cloud probably strikes her as too complicated for him.

Good Jimmy moment. I imagine Superlad will be pleased.

Moreover, Bendis is getting better at writing Lois.

Action continues to be one of the books I look most forward to each month.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-22-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Another great issue. I expect that the event can carry on the great quality this titles has
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Always Rakzo

This was good admitedly. One would think the Batman concepts shouldn't work that well on Superman but Bendis found a way and makes me buy this whole event. Good use of obscure characters too.

Fantastic art to boot. Bendis is such a hit and miss writer that he can write both good and bad books in the same line.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post

Presumably Huntress here is the role that was going to be Nightwing, back when Bendis was teasing an appearance in this issue?
    Yes. He said as much on Twitter.

Has anyone ever addressed why Jimmy doesn’t remember that Clark is Superman? Did that just get Rebirth-d away?
    Cheers - CL

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Loco View Post
    Has anyone ever addressed why Jimmy doesn’t remember that Clark is Superman? Did that just get Rebirth-d away?
    It was addressed at the very start of Rebirth. Jimmy did know, but Mxy's impersonation of Clark fooled him and the world all over again