Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 101
  1. #61
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    This is actually what surprised me the most. Hopeful Rosenberg can redeem himself at least a little with Wolsbane.
    How many times now has Rosenberg failed to redeem himself now?

  2. #62
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,405

    Default

    This is a solid issue.

    What I liked.

    - Sunspot is finally back to the X-Men and New Mutants
    - emotional hugging between Sunspot and Karma,
    - reunion between Sunspot and Dani
    - return of Rahne's husband and son (I hope this isn't an illusion because they were not seen in UXM #17)

    Rosenberg never fails to surprise us..

    This is a good story if only ....

    If only Rahne hadn't died after this event , it would have been an emotional reunion for her and her child. If only Sunspot had rejoined the team instead of Juggernaut...

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,157

    Default

    I like that Sunspot has unique costume to wear now. So Sunspot and Magik have clear costumes they should be wearing instead of the training stuff. Slowly we are getting there with the New Mutants

  4. #64
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,445

    Default

    I'm reeeeeeeeeeally enjoying this WoR tie-in series.

    I legit gasped when Hope got dissected, but then, fortunately, came to my immediate nerd-senses and remembered "HOLD ON A GD MINUTE -- THAT CHICK MIMICS!!!!"
    And then had a little chuckle.

    Admittedly, I'm a little sad (meh, I'm already over it) that Jono didn't have some kind of "Bloody Hell?!" moment upon seeing/meeting Zombshee since he was a pretty big part of Jono's X-Life previously. But there is just soooo muuuuuch continuity to track and only soooooo muuuuuch panel time to weave a story, and even as a mega GenX fan even I forgot about their connective tissue till this most recent issue so..... <shrug> ...Yeah, I can't be mad about it since I forgot too.

    Anyway.

    VIVA ROBERTO FOR ALWAYS AND NEVER DIE!!!

  5. #65
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    creed saying he is a alpha wolf? more like sissy wolf.

  6. #66
    Spectacular Member Alphaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    236

    Default

    This issue was fine. The real saving grace was Perez's art. Real old school storytelling there. It was good to see Dani used more effectively than she is in Uncanny. Alex is less of a waste. Sniper Scott was cool. Rahne's abduction was sloppy. Who carried her away, the hel-hounds? Her family reunion was a surprise. Hope was less annoying than usual.

    My main problem was the time frame. How long are the X-Men in New York? In nearly all of the WOTR tie-ins, the story progresses over a mere day at the least or possibly a week at the most. Here, they're clothes are ragged and the Summer brothers has grown full beards. Rosenberg must not have gotten the full memo.

  7. #67
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    This issue was fine. The real saving grace was Perez's art. Real old school storytelling there. It was good to see Dani used more effectively than she is in Uncanny. Alex is less of a waste. Sniper Scott was cool. Rahne's abduction was sloppy. Who carried her away, the hel-hounds? Her family reunion was a surprise. Hope was less annoying than usual.

    My main problem was the time frame. How long are the X-Men in New York? In nearly all of the WOTR tie-ins, the story progresses over a mere day at the least or possibly a week at the most. Here, they're clothes are ragged and the Summer brothers has grown full beards. Rosenberg must not have gotten the full memo.
    Rosenberg's not the one that drew the beards. That could purely be artistic license as Perez wanted to give the characters a distinct look for this tie in

  8. #68
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,977

    Default

    This issue makes Rahne’s death look even worse than it already did. Here she exchanges blows with Sabretooth but yea, a bunch of frat boys killed her. I really hope that it’s it going in the direction that she loses Hrimhari and Tier by the end of this and thus wanted to die to join them because that may just make it even worse.

  9. #69
    Spectacular Member Alphaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Rosenberg's not the one that drew the beards. That could purely be artistic license as Perez wanted to give the characters a distinct look for this tie in
    Well the X-Office editors are to blame. But that's nothing new. If Arron ends this with the Avengers winning days after the attack on New York, than this series will look out of place if they ever do a WOTR tie-in trade paper back.

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    This issue makes Rahne’s death look even worse than it already did. Here she exchanges blows with Sabretooth but yea, a bunch of frat boys killed her. I really hope that it’s it going in the direction that she loses Hrimhari and Tier by the end of this and thus wanted to die to join them because that may just make it even worse.
    It makes almost makes sense. I mean... if Hrim and the kid go back to the lands of the dead after all of this, Rahne can't follow. Suicide is a mortal sin. But letting herself be killed might be a loophole. I wouldn't bet money on that being the case since it doesn't really hold up to the sniff test, it still makes Rahne look pathetic, and it muddles the metaphor even worse than before. But at least there's a gloss of logic there.

    This Week's Comics: Powers of X #3, James Bond 007 #10, Valkarie #2

  11. #71
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    1. Woah, woah, wooooah. Hold on a sec. Has Team-Not-at-the-Stadium seriously spent all this time chasing Frost Giants for sport rather than making sure civilians could actually make it to a safe location in one piece? I totally get that Escort missions are the suck, but this is insane. What the effffin' effff, lol.
    2. "I'm afraid of dying for no reason." Good grief, that's basically the whole point of being a hero/villai... Bah, I just can't with the brat, lol. I'll just pretend it was meant as foreshadowing for Chamber's death.
    3. "I was in Jersey when the city was attacked" LMAO at Roberto's sorry (actual) excuse for a comeback.
    4. The Magik-getting-captured-off-panel thingy. I remember the team wondering where she was in the last few pages of the first issue, but seriously?
    5. Sabretooth better murder the crap out of Romeo and what's-his-name-wolf-kid.

    Anyway. It was alright.
    That annoys me too. Capturing demon-sorceress-teleporter off-panel has become a go-to trope and makes the writers seem lazy. Guggs was just a terrible writer and she was one of many characters he didn't get, but Rosenberg is better than that and this makes him look lazy. I fully understand needing to take out a character like Magik during these sort of events, but the off-panel capture is the laziest and worst way to do it. Second Coming showed how to do it right.

  12. #72
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    It makes almost makes sense. I mean... if Hrim and the kid go back to the lands of the dead after all of this, Rahne can't follow. Suicide is a mortal sin. But letting herself be killed might be a loophole. I wouldn't bet money on that being the case since it doesn't really hold up to the sniff test, it still makes Rahne look pathetic, and it muddles the metaphor even worse than before. But at least there's a gloss of logic there.
    With no followup, it doesnt make sense. Rosenberg is gonna need to show Rahne in the aftermath for that to work but I doubt that will happen.
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-23-2019 at 10:44 AM.

  13. #73
    Spectacular Member Alphaxman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    That annoys me too. Capturing demon-sorceress-teleporter off-panel has become a go-to trope and makes the writers seem lazy. Guggs was just a terrible writer and she was one of many characters he didn't get, but Rosenberg is better than that and this makes him look lazy. I fully understand needing to take out a character like Magik during these sort of events, but the off-panel capture is the laziest and worst way to do it. Second Coming showed how to do it right.
    Right! She was the one who defeated Dormammu by absorbing Limbo and then trained by Doctor Strange to be a better sorceress outside Limbo. Could you image Strange being captured like that? Hell to the Naw naw naw!

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    With no followup, it makes sense. Rosenberg is gonna need to show Rahne in the aftermath for that to work but I doubt that will happen.
    I think the bigger issue is that, narratively, it's a friggin' snooze. Let's assume that, during WotR, Rahne decides she needs to die to be with her loved ones. OK. Rahne has had a pretty miserable life overall, so I don't think it's hard to justify that turn character-wise. But to write it so she literally lies down and dies in UXM instead of giving her a "Witness me!" moment within WotR just utterly deflates any drama or catharsis that comes with that decision. And I'm trying not to assume that Rosenberg is that tone-deaf with regard to his writing, because I have liked some aspects of his work prior to this.

    This Week's Comics: Powers of X #3, James Bond 007 #10, Valkarie #2

  15. #75
    Embrace the Fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,972

    Default

    Hold on a sec, am I the only who wasn't surprised in the slightest when Rahne's baby daddy and kid showed up? I mean, what else could've made her suicidal in the wake of WotR? Heck, Rosenberg basically spoiled it in interviews.

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    That annoys me too. Capturing demon-sorceress-teleporter off-panel has become a go-to trope and makes the writers seem lazy. Guggs was just a terrible writer and she was one of many characters he didn't get, but Rosenberg is better than that and this makes him look lazy. I fully understand needing to take out a character like Magik during these sort of events, but the off-panel capture is the laziest and worst way to do it. Second Coming showed how to do it right.
    On the plus side, the rest of the team pretended that huge fail didn't happen when she made the first x-committee suggestion, lol.

    I get the whole family thingy, but this is just lulzy. Maybe that's just me and my buddies, but when someone pulls a dumb/selfish/IWannaBeAFrontLineBadass! move that costs the rest of the team, our attitude is usually something along the lines "Look, bro/sis, we love you, we really do, but we're not going to pay attention to any of your suggestions for like a week, m'kay?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •