Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Rumor: Tom King reported to be finished with Batman 85

So according to a report on bleedingcool Tom King will be kicked off batman at 85.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ue-will-be-85/

Oh day of days!
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I'm of two minds : I'll rejoice when King will depart Batman... but I want him to finish his story. If he doesn't, whoever will come next will be seen as "King's run undertaker" and nobody will care much about it. Plus, honestly, from 85 to 105 (or 100 if they really want to cut the run short) isn't so big a stretch after more than three years on the title. Let him finish and wash your hands of his run with the next writer, nobody truly expected his changes to be that important anyway.
    Last edited by Korath; 05-22-2019 at 09:06 AM.

BANNED

Maybe Bendis is elbowing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Maybe Bendis is elbowing in.
    I doubt it. I suspected he'd be in after King as Event Leviathan would be done by then but due to that I doubt he's available to take on the Bat-Book right now. If King is removed, they'll probably have a few fill-in arcs until when King's run was supposed to end and then whomever was to replace him would come in.

That said, I hope he's not off the book. His run has been the first "Batman" (i.e. - Not Detective, & Robin, etc) run I've enjoyed in quite some time. Depending on who replaces him I may just drop it.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Fantastic Member

Regardless of how long he stays, I don't think I'll be invested in the main title if King's changes actually stick.

Oh, I so hope Bleeding Cool's sources are right about this . . .

But even if they are currently correct, who knows what else could happen between now and then?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm of two minds : I'll rejoice when King will depart Batman... but I want him to finish his story. If he doesn't, whoever will come next will be seen as "King's run undertaker" and nobody will care much about it. Plus, honestly, from 85 to 105 (or 100 if they really want to cut the run short) is so big a stretch after more than three years on the title. Let him finish and wash your hands of his run with the next writer, nobody truly expected his changes to be that important anyway.
    I feel more or less like this. As much as I wouldn't care for his Batman, I doubt this is the best idea, or worth the risk, or even really fair. I hope it's a rumour and nothing else.

It won't be true. I think DC has invested too much in King's "100+ issue run" for it to end on 85. I'd love for it to be over as I think the series has overstayed its welcome and someone new on the main book would be nice to see, but yeah, I don't see it happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It won't be true. I think DC has invested too much in King's "100+ issue run" for it to end on 85. I'd love for it to be over as I think the series has overstayed its welcome and someone new on the main book would be nice to see, but yeah, I don't see it happening.
    Tomasi had his 100 issue run on Superman curtailed. These things happen.

Knightmares seriously killed the momentum for me. Lasted way too long. I do want Tom to finish his story though, invested way too much to have someone else wrap it up. So tom's story ends with city of bane? And we wont have the status quo that never happenned before?
    Last edited by bat1987; 05-22-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    So according to a report on bleedingcool Tom King will be kicked off batman at 85.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ue-will-be-85/
    At the start of his run King sayd he had an idea for a 100 chapters story.
    But if it's 85, it's fine with me. His run is not that overwelming.

I like to be optimistic if this is true. Tom can still change the passing as if it were a monthly title. Maybe have some extra pages for the finale. It’s a lot of work, but the last thing I would want is an unfinished story or another writer finishing it (though that would be better that have no ending). I hope it’s not true, but it’s something that sadly happens a lot
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

King tweeted "So many kind notes. You all rock" nothing more. Bleedingcool did a quick follow up saying it is all very fluid, but reports offers have been made to other writers to come in.

Incredible Member

How can he possibly wrap up the Bruce/Selina stuff in a satisfying way by 85? The whole run is gonna end right after the Bane stuff.

Pretty sure the last 15 issues must have been Catwoman related, so I guess there's no chance for them to get married for real now. Is that the thing that was squashed? He just isn't allowed to be married, no matter what?

It just is so horrible to invest in this and have the rug pulled out from under you like this. After being promised a payoff and that this whole non-wedding was part of a complete story that now has no chance of finishing.