Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 327
  1. #151
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    In this context it matters, because there is a set narrative arc being interrupted as opposed to just general character development. I don't generally disagree with your point though.
    I’d say he interrupted his own set narrative by decompressing to the point of absurdity. In 71 issues, he’s had maybe 30 issues worth of story with very little character development that many have been able to see.

  2. #152
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    So does that mean King planned for his run to be mostly filler?
    King was probably in love with the idea of a 100 issue story arc, so hence all the filler when he actually got down to "writing".

    This is why you don't plan things in advance on a main title, just write the story you wanna write and go from there and that way we can avoid wasted time and money on stories like with a wannabe Bruce Wayne kid becase we have to get to 100 issues!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

  3. #153
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    [
    Yeah, I would expect Snyder would still be doing stuff at DC, I just wonder what it could be beyond more Batman, since that's taken up most of his catalogue. And I would put Johns and Morrison up there, but they've been fairly low key lately, while the Big 3 have taken up most of the attention.
    Less lowkey now, I would say, with Johns on Shazam and Doomsday Clock and Morrison doing Green Lantern.
    I'm mostly referring to Hickman and everything going on with Marvel Comics #1000. I saw that as basically their way of showing how many connections they still have and any future possibilities they may decide to pull out at a given notice.
    Marvel #1000 has most of those creators doing just one-pagers for a very special occasion. I think that's different from, say, grabbing Allan Heinberg, JMS, or whoever for an ongoing book.

    I mean, DC did something similar with Action and 'Tec #1000 as well.

  4. #154
    Mind Controller Arnoldoaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Id say he interrupted his own set narrative by decompressing to the point of absurdity. In 71 issues, hes had maybe 30 issues worth of story with very little character development that many have been able to see.
    True, but unlike other Batman runs from the past this book was shipping twice per month
    I guess they thought they could get away with it because they were doing it faster

  5. #155
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Arkham, Mass (lol no)
    Posts
    7,136

    Default

    My thoughts:

    1) If DC is doing this because King would "change the character for a generation," then I can understand that and may even agree with DC (if I ever knew what the change was)


    2) King should be allowed to do his full run, his way, even if it moves to another title (or "the change" is deemed non canon)


    3) If DC is doing this because of sales conerns post-Knightmares, then DC should be ashamed and eff them
    Thank you AMericA for votinG for chAnge.

  6. #156
    Astonishing Member Inversed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    I think probably the most positive takeaway regarding these rumours are, we are going to find out for sure by this week or next at the latest. He won't be able to be silent about this for too long, so we'll get the confirmation of some kind.

    And also, if it does turn out to be something fairly wrong, there'd still be 7 months till the end, so there would be time to fix things or make it right. Most of the time we find out about changes like this they're usually very last minute, so this having so much buffer time is a special occasion.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, West Coast Avengers, Ms. Marvel, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers, Sonic The Hedgehog

  7. #157
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    So he's leaving!!? Good riddance. Glad to see an overrated writer leave a title for once if this is true (hopefully).

  8. #158
    Incredible Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    941

    Default

    This isn't the whole story as we don't know where he's going next, but at the very least, I've pretty much hated his tenure as Batman's dungeon master and I'm looking forward to a new direction for Bruce and the remainder of the Bat office. Hopefully one where we can expect more adventure and team ups (Robin as in 'Tec, Nightwing returning, etc).

    Waiting to see how the other shoe drops, but it'd be nice to pick up the main Batman book again other than when it's not just for the art. I've legitimately ignored the text in a few of his issues at this point just to see the artwork. I never thought I'd be there, but it's true.

    I can only hope that if there is any reaction to HiC/Batman, it's that he needs to vary his approach as a storyteller because "sad heroes acting out of character because they're sad" is becoming trite at best.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-22-2019 at 09:02 PM.

  9. #159
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This isn't the whole story as we don't know where he's going next, but at the very least, I've pretty much hated his tenure as Batman's dungeon master and I'm looking forward to a new direction for Bruce and the remainder of the Bat office. Hopefully one where we can expect more adventure and team ups (Robin as in 'Tec, Nightwing returning, etc).
    It would be nice to see more positive cohesiveness with the Batfamily books. I'm not sure if that's on the main writer or editorial or what, but it's something I don't think we've really had in a long time.

  10. #160
    Mighty Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But a lot of writers are doing that. Especially the guy doing Black Panther & Cap America.

    So why is it an issue NOW?

    Also if King could get removed from a book based on lower sales-Dc has some EXPLAINING to do. Where was upper management during the butchering of Wally West, Teen Titans, Titans alum, Hal Jordan & TGLC and others?

    Unless DC has some big name writer hired and they want Batman. Someone OUTSIDE of comics but has writing experience.
    Because this is Batman. DC depends on the book selling in the 90k-100k range. And Marvel has different editors than DC, but Coates should absolutely have gotten kicked off BP by now. I actually like his Cap so far though.

  11. #161
    Mighty Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Why is "overarching long terms plans" somehow necessary? What is wrong with writers just having a good long run with good stories like what Tomasi was doing with Jon and the Superfamily stuff? This mentality we have to shake things up (like with Bendis) or have long drawn out 100 issue arcs (or King) doesn't necessarily lead to good stories as many of the anti-King people would tell you. Sometimes letting the writers just write fun stories like what we got is a formula for success by itself. And the superbooks imo absolutely needed a long run of that sort to shore up the status quo after years of turmoil and creator changes at the drop of a hat.
    Because it wasn’t “fun stories”? It was boring filler for an entire summer which caused the book to bleed sales. Tomasi’s inability to stay on the book without lots of fill-ins killed any chance of him getting 100 issues.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-22-2019 at 09:28 PM.

  12. #162
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    39,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I can only hope that if there is any reaction to HiC/Batman, it's that he needs to vary his approach as a storyteller because "sad heroes acting out of character because they're sad" is becoming trite at best.
    I think King's issue as a writer is his constant need to relate to characters through trauma, which means he either leans too hard on that aspect (sometimes at the expense of characterization) or just makes it up with a character.

    Look at what he did to Booster Gold or how he handled Wally.

  13. #163
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    337

    Default

    yeah can he write a hero who actually functions that is the point. Which i admit I only saw in glimpses in in annual two and the superfriends story with the double date with lois and clark that is it. Everything else especially with bane or the selina frame up which was over the top another reason why this run if it was about the bat/cat romance made no sense.

  14. #164
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    29

    Default

    As a Batman enthusiast coming back into the game after a 10 year comic hiatus since Batamn Inc/Final Crisis in general I have been dreading Tom King from what I sampled and counting the year+ until his end. Been catching up on Snyders run and Metal + Batman Who Laughs. Certainly entertaining, but forgettable.

    Really loving Bendis on Action, have not read Superman. Could easily see Bendis on Batman being better than King by a long shot.
    Last edited by movieclub; 05-22-2019 at 09:39 PM.

  15. #165
    Mighty Member kurenai24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Essex, MD
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    Lol this is really getting to you
    After reading this whole thread I can answer for them ...yes it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Good Lord, Dan DiDio is LOVING this!

    Wait until next week when everyone starts screeching about the ending of Heroes in Crisis. You'll be giving him fits of orgasmic ecstasy!
    People raging while you watch on in amusement, there's nothing like it, I understand Didio a little now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •