Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...m-king-batman/

Lot of detail in Rich's piece at BC.
    The big takeaway is he is being allowed to conclude his story either in Catwoman or a new spin-off title

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'm really curious as to why King would announce a generational shift in Batman moving forward, only to be more or less fired from the books shortly thereafter.

Something is not adding up here.

I think it was a King’s arrogance of his position to get something he wants just like replacing his editor. Him talking to AT&T/WB directly always seemed like him overstepping his boundaries of his bosses to use his Eisner clout to get his story told. If King’s Sales were on par with Snyder he maybe have finished his run at 100 but he is no longer selling in the high 90’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    . . . and Tom King, in his extreme hubris, and unprofessional self indulgence, expects readers to bother deciphering his nonsense. If I was his editor, I would have flogged him for turning in something so ridiculous. Thinking he's "clever" and trying to do some Vanilla Sky stuff... I would be trying to sell comics, not indulge Tom King.
    Even though one editor who had disagreed with Tom King was already removed from that position?

BANNED

well he could hardly pull the same stunt twice now could he or the others would be extremely leery of working with him.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 05-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.

BANNED

Rich's article also says there were creative differences over how City of Bane was developing

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I'm really curious as to why King would announce a generational shift in Batman moving forward, only to be more or less fired from the books shortly thereafter.

Something is not adding up here.
    I think there are lots of different factors that more or less came together at the same time.

The latest article from Bleeding Cool (linked from the previous page) mentions that some of the higher-ups at DC, like Bob Harras, didn't like Tom King's run. Sales were also not as strong as DC wanted; not catastrophic but certainly not helping King either. King's own actions, like overruling editor Mark Doyle and making him quit Batman, can quite likely have garnered new enemies within DC; it certainly wouldn't garner him new friends. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more stuff behind the scenes as well. Now, with Tom King announcing major changes to Batman, it is quite likely that all these factors managed to coalesque into a coherent force. That also fits with this breaking after a semi-informal meeting with lots of DC management present.

At the same time, when I look at DC right now I see a largely dysfunctional publishing organisation, and King's fate here seems like a continuation of that. They look ridiculously top-heavy: Under the Moon—A Catwoman tale listed no less than twenty VPs on the secondary credits page, executive, senior, or just plain VPs. To me, that's at least fifteen too many. Editors and offices seem more concerned about "protecting" their own characters than using them, let alone letting someone else use them—Donna Troy is probably the most prominent example. We have lots of events and events-like runs going on, but all of them seem to exist in their own little bubbles, barely interacting with each other or the regular titles.

To me, it looks more like publishing via office politics than publishing driven by creativity or storytelling quality.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Rich's article also says there were creative differences over how City of Bane was developing
    It states that King’s Ego and Refual to Compromise caused those differences and killed his run eventually
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The big takeaway is he is being allowed to conclude his story either in Catwoman or a new spin-off title
    This confirms the ending IS about him and Catwoman, as people guessed.

Well, I just hope that he does complete it so that we can actually get it, rather than refusing to do so because it's not allowed in the Batman book. I mean, will it not be considered canon in that case? His ego might prevent him from wanting to do it at all. And yet, for the fans who stuck with it this long, hoping for a long sought resolution after the wedding stuff, like he promised, we really do deserve to see it.

Also, if he was planning to marry them, could that even still happen outside the Batman book?

Until the next writer, whatever King does, in whichever book, will be canon. But even if he married Bruce and Selina in issue 105 of his run... well nothing would prevent a new writer who really don't want to deal with his work to simply put it under the rug.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Until the next writer, whatever King does, in whichever book, will be canon. But even if he married Bruce and Selina in issue 105 of his run... well nothing would prevent a new writer who really don't want to deal with his work to simply put it under the rug.
    Thats the Thing, if King’s in a Spinoff (even Catwoman (a Satellite Title)) would he be really allowed to make a Huge Change to Batman? I dont see them ever allowing a Nightwing writer to make a Huge Batman Change that would effect him for years to come,
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

BANNED

perhaps the next author will have selina learning that Batman voluntarily slept with Talia resulting in the breakdown of their marriage like the way the black canary and green arrow marriage was turned rocky due to his sleeping with a assassin voluntarily.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Thats the Thing, if King’s in a Spinoff (even Catwoman (a Satellite Title)) would he be really allowed to make a Huge Change to Batman? I dont see them ever allowing a Nightwing writer to make a Huge Batman Change that would effect him for years to come,
    That's my question too. I feel like 95% sure now that he was going to marry them for real, but even if he does that in a spinoff, how can the main book ignore it? Unless it's an elseworlds thing now.

Rich needs an editor. Stat. His blog is so hard to read sometimes between the misspellings, broken sentences, and missing punctuation.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member

Given Bendis's performance on the Superbooks and YJ and his many recent Marvel books, it's doubtful he can do better. The people at DC who bet on Bendis to do well on the Superbooks (and got nothing ) probably are desperate to prove to everyone they didn't waste DC's money and are hoping for a larger return by putting him on Batman.

And I guess the fans who said DC would eventually fire King for Bendis were right in the long term (in that the higher ups were clearly trying to push Bendis on everything after getting rid of Johns and Rebirth).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-23-2019 at 09:18 AM.