Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Probably because if it ain't broke, why fix it? Why should successors have to be forced into dealing with a married Batman? Why should DC? Prior to King making it an issue, it was never made into one like this before. If anything, King has only convinced me that Batman and Catwoman doesn't need to be married. It wouldn't surprise me if that were also the case with the higher ups....
    I agree with you. I was a mild BatCat shipper but now I couldn't care less about the couple. King did a great job of turning my against said ship, oh, and making me lose interest in Bruce as well by portraying him as a near neurotic loser who falls apart due to Selina's betrayal of "their love".
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-23-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's impossible in Gotham Girl's case, as she only debuted in the first arc of King's run, and is his original creation. She can't be out of character.
    Seems a bit OOC to me or at least I no longer enjoy her nearly as much as I did at first, but oh well. And yes I am aware King created her still his latest use of the character was terrible, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Seems a bit OOC to me or at least I no longer enjoy her nearly as much as I did at first, but oh well. And yes I am aware King created her still his latest use of the character was terrible, IMO.
    You mean the crossover Williamson wrote? smh.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I do find it pretty funny how the comic book industry higher-ups have such a negative view on marriage. Yet, this feeling clearly isn't extended through all media, as the WB/AT&T executive apparently approved it behind DC's back.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Sigh. I don't know what these guys know (they claim to have "reason to believe" something), but for what it's worth: https://screenrant.com/batman-comic-tom-king-canceled/

See what they note at the end there- specifically referencing Bruce/Selina marrying or having a kid as somehow hindering DC from going forward with the character.

Was it really that? Having him actually get married was what they got cold feet on and removed him from the book for? Look, I want the real ending in whatever form it takes. But having it be an Elseworlds story really is hanging a sign on it that says "THIS IS NOT REAL"

Again, I'll take it if this ends up being what we get. But it just makes me roll my eyes at DC's refusal to allow something as positive as a marriage to happen in the main book and let it affect the future. They need to let it be canon. Someday, yeah, somebody will undo it I'm sure. But would it be SO BAD to let it stick for a while and force successors to deal with a married Batman? Why would that be such a terrible thing?
    Well, they’d let superman marry and have a kid, but not batman? But this sort of appeals to me on some level, because i find gotham too grim and gritty for me to want to read about. If the purpose is to show a brighter, more hopeful gotham, it’s kind of intriguing. I don’t understand why people want to read about a city that’s bleak, and contributes to all the whackadoodle bad guys that populate it. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to live there.
    Last edited by protege; 05-23-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    This was posted in the other fourm page, but Dan DiDio responded to a couple people regarding the rumours, where he says he's "not going anywhere" and "everything is really good with Tom right now".

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0T5VPBpI9/

Still pretty vague regarding what exactly is going on, but this is basically a confirmation that Didio isn't responsible for the decision.
    I seem to remember early in the New52 DiDio said something regarding the various "Crisis" events and if they were part of the New52's back story or not, then going out for a bite to eat and saying something totally different after that. (Maybe once he had a Snickers® or something?)
    So I wouldn't put too much reading into what that comment may or may not mean.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I seem to remember early in the New52 DiDio said something regarding the various "Crisis" events and if they were part of the New52's back story or not, then going out for a bite to eat and saying something totally different after that. (Maybe once he had a Snickers® or something?)
    So I wouldn't put too much reading into what that comment may or may not mean.
    I would also say that his response is vague enough that it doesn't really answer the issue at hand anyway, and Didio always puts a DC-spin on everything.

I also remember him giving an interview in which he was asked about 52 and what exactly he hated about it. He gave a very long-winded answer in which he tried his best to deflect the question instead of either just being honest or giving a PC answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    This was posted in the other fourm page, but Dan DiDio responded to a couple people regarding the rumours, where he says he's "not going anywhere" and "everything is really good with Tom right now".

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0T5VPBpI9/

Still pretty vague regarding what exactly is going on, but this is basically a confirmation that Didio isn't responsible for the decision.
    Yeah, again, I felt pretty sure this was above Didio.

I think HiC has established by this point that they work well together and have compatible approaches to Superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I disagree. This has office politics all over it. I wager going above the EIC's head (and then bragging about it to the press) would have contributed to his dismissal.

There's a chain of command after all and it's not like folks like Morrison had to go to WB when they made big changes to the Batman.

The might claim sales but sales have been falling for quite sometime so there had to be another trigger.
    he did this?

Yes, sales are going down for some time, but this decision seems to be have been taken based on recent events. Something really went very wrong

Marriage doesn't equal positive automatically. Why do you assume this? Marriage could be negative it all depends on the writer.
    Batman was cohabiting with Selina under King. That's pretty much marriage and he did not seem any happier. If anything he seemed depressed, was isolated and he did not give up Batmaning.

I un derstand that you are a fan of the relationship but you can't assume that getting married to one's on-off GF for decades is going to bring about sudden positive change.

Yes it would be terrible to FORCE successors to deal with writing a relationship if they don't want to. Every writer should be allowed to creative licence [like King was] why box them in.

That's why it's called "putting your toys back in box"
    King really did a bad job with Batman and Selina.

I don't think next writer getting a married Batman is unfair at all. Many Superman writers had to do it. What I think it is awful is having characters married without a good build up and whatever crap King is doing with these two
    Last edited by spirit2011; 05-23-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    he did this?

Yes, sales are going down for some time, but this decision seems to be have been taken based on recent events. Something really went very wrong

King really did a bad job with Batman and Selina.

I don't think next writer getting a married Batman is unfair at all. Many Superman writers had to do it. What I think it is awful is having characters married without a good build up and whatever crap King is doing with these two
    I never said it was unfair.

I just don't think writers should be forced to write married life or include Selina or any other family members they don't want to. The gig is Batman.

Just because he is married doesn't mean the next writer has to reflect this.

Batman has Cass, Damian and Tim living at home we didn't see them in King's run because they didn't fit his story but that doesn't stop them still living at the manor.

It's the idea of forcing writers that I have an issue with.
    Last edited by Fergus; 05-23-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Batman has Cass, Damian and Tim living at home we didn't see them in King's run because they didn't fit his story but that doesn't stop them still living at the manor.
    In fact, Tim wasn't living with Batman. I'm not sure if Damian or Cass were living with Batman either.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-23-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Incredible Member

She wouldn't have to be there all the time even if they were married, but occasionally and more than in the past, probably. And is that really such a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    In fact, Tim wasn't living with Batman. I'm not sure if Damian was living with Batman either.
    He was as was Cass. Duke too until he moved out. Damian goes to school from home and then is with the TT at the weekend.

Tim when he left with Steph left from the manor and since his car trunk was open I reasoned he splits his time between his apartment and the manor

If one issue was DC not being down with his planned "generational" change, I have a hard time seeing that as the potential that he really planned on marrying them. I mean, today, that's really not THAT huge a deal. Lots of heroes are married in this returned continuity. I mean, I could easily seem some within the company having a preference of not doing it, but to the point of truncating the run like this when its not so far off from the intended end? Its just hard to imagine. Makes me think the intended change was something else entirely.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If one issue was DC not being down with his planned "generational" change, I have a hard time seeing that as the potential that he really planned on marrying them. I mean, today, that's really not THAT huge a deal. Lots of heroes are married in this returned continuity. I mean, I could easily seem some within the company having a preference of not doing it, but to the point of this? Its just hard to imagine. Makes me think the proposed change was something else entirely.
    I hope it was something else, because if they okayed him being married that means it could still happen by the end. But given that whatever was going on in the last 15 issues apparently involved Catwoman, I have this feeling like there must have been some objection to it, and now who knows if he can actually do it.

Turning it into an elseworlds story is essentially saying it never really happened.