Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC's got to appreciate how much he's taken a hit for HiC when everyone is as quick to jump on DC editorial for it.

I feel like a lot of the goodwill King has from DC comes from his earlier much-lauded works but that his trajectory with more "mainstream" books has been inconsistent.

It almost feels like he's on the same path as Bendis at his height.
    I think the story he wrote for Walmart in which Lois Lane gets violently murdered by Lex Luthor in Superman's mind did not help his case any. The sheer amount of gore involved was just f'ed up and unnecessary. *shudders*
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-22-2019 at 10:24 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Know I'm late to the party but I wanted to say I'm really glad King may be removed off of this title. His run started of interesting but now all of his books just seem like he is working out his weird personal issues through characters who do not belong to him or even fit the narrative he is trying to run with.
    Finally, someone I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Know I'm late to the party but I wanted to say I'm really glad King may be removed off of this title. His run started of interesting but now all of his books just seem like he is working out his weird personal issues through characters who do not belong to him or even fit the narrative he is trying to run with.
    Great post you nailed it, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I just had to go through this thread and clean out a bunch of posts that do not meet the standards of this community. A number of personal remarks, for example.

Let's keep things civil and informed, thanks.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

As a preamble I must reiterate that I'm really sad for the readers who like this run and want to see King ending it on his term.

However, if it can help decrease the disappointment born out of this news after the announcement of a generational change in Batman days ago, I think that it should be noted that this failure is on King, not DC, since he seems to have failed to understand how ongoing works. Even if he did the boldest of changes in the last 15 issues of his run, it wouldn't have amounted to nothing for the next writer, because his pacing and his themes mean that he would have just set the new status quo at the end. Which is a very stupid way on trying to change such a huge character as Batman. Such a massive change has to happen way earlier, when the writer will get a lot of issues to develop it, otherwise it's just a mirage, not a true change.

I must also says that King's writing has either killed any and all interest I had in old and new characters (Catwoman - whom I loved with Batman in the early run, only to be so badly burnt by his shenanigans that I can't stand the character anymore, especially when she seems to be trading water in whatever town she's now in her solo - or Gotham-Girl -whom I loved for all her potential and now crave to see this poor character put out of her misery and forgotten forever) or make me dread their appearance because King's themes and story direction don't fit at all with them (Cassandra Cain, Duke Thomas, mainly) to the point where I favor limbo over King's writing for those.

Overall, I understand why people can like -even love- this run. But for me, it has done so much damage that booting King won't do any good. Keeping him won't either. I'm seriously thinking that DC's boldest, best course of action would be to not publish a Batman book for some months to let the rot and stink get away a little, allowing a new team to really start on new foundations.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...015174144?s=19

Can Tom Taylor be the next on Batman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Overall, I understand why people can like -even love- this run. But for me, it has done so much damage that booting King won't do any good. Keeping him won't either. I'm seriously thinking that DC's boldest, best course of action would be to not publish a Batman book for some months to let the rot and stink get away a little, allowing a new team to really start on new foundations.
    What about Detective? That's avoided everything King's done since the very inception of Rebirth and has been entirely it's own unique thing. Would you prefer just that be the core book?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    What about Detective? That's avoided everything King's done since the very inception of Rebirth and has been entirely it's own unique thing. Would you prefer just that be the core book?
    Yes, for two or three months, so everyone know that when the Batman title comes back it'll be a clean start. Plus, it could be a way to generate a lot of buzz about the new issue 1 while promoting Detective Comics in the time being.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess at this point I wouldn't be surprised if King marries them and does a Batman/Catwoman book, and it's so sequestered like King's run has generally been that the main Batman title can move on and not deal with it .
    THIS.

DC are quite keen on maxi-series lately, they did it for Super Sons, they're doing it for Lois and Jimmy, Mister Miracle was devoted to Scott and Barda's relationship, a Batman/Catwoman maxi could be explore the relationship while giving the main book time to do it's own thing and not necessarily involve Selina just as Detective Comics ignored everything in King's run. How it affects Selina's ongoing is another matter, unless that is getting intentionally folded to fold Selina into Batman/Catwoman

WOW.. I was not expecting this.. Who will be BATMAN next writer?

Please Priest. I want Christopher Priest, he is finishing his deathstroke run..
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-23-2019 at 01:38 AM.

BANNED

I was just telling some of these fans that Batman's sales are down because the story is of dubious quality. Of course, they wanted to come up with some weak excuses like, "Well, that's just the state of the industry, not because the comics are bad."

Looks like DC realized that the sales aren't what they should be because of *shock* Tom King's near incomprehensible and overall lame story. I saw the latest issue of Batman and it was a freaking joke. Literally incomprehensible to a regular person. Literally incomprehensible, and Tom King, in his extreme hubris, and unprofessional self indulgence, expects readers to bother deciphering his nonsense. If I was his editor, I would have flogged him for turning in something so ridiculous. Thinking he's "clever" and trying to do some Vanilla Sky stuff... I would be trying to sell comics, not indulge Tom King.

Simple concept: You tell bad stories and come up with bad ideas, and people stop buying the comics. DC should have booted King off Batman long ago.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 05-23-2019 at 03:38 AM.

Good news for me, as I have tried to read Tom King's Batman (and other things he's written) and haven't found a thing that I like yet. I will not be sorry to see him go.

In any case, I hope that DC and Tom King actually quickly explain the rumors. I don't think either want to see sales drop even below than they already have, and I suspect a significant portion of the people buying the floppies may drop their subscriptions if they believe that the overall pay-off will be absent. It would be far better to actually reveal everything I think, even if plans haven't been firmly put in place.

Even a simple : "Yes, King will be off after issue 85, but there is that book planned for him to do so, even without any artist firmly in place yet". At least it would be closure.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Tom King didn't marry Bruce & Selina. Never intended to; he did the right thing. I don't think they should be married.

I hope he didn't get self-conscious about the heat he took from some over that and then decide to "change Batman for a generation" (which is not putting the toys back in the toybox) to try to "make it up" to fans on that.

Something like Batman killing or Batman marrying or something just too far.

I firmly believe writers shouldn't overly burden the status quo for subsequent writers.

I'm just speculating though. It's possible that what King is being reprimanded for has nothing to do with what I just typed about. DC may not have a good enough reason.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

For any one who is writing off the sales for The Hulk, you clearly have not read this run. Al Ewing is putting on a masterclass with this title and it is absolutely fantastic.

Any way to get back to the topic at hand. This all smells of Didio, who likes to stir things up because he dreads "apathy".
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!