Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Empty is thy hand!

May you live in interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    But why did he just say he had gotten permission to do it if he hadn't? I'm not understanding this.
    Because the sales are falling faster then DC would like. It lost 40,000 in a year they do not want to have that number get higher. The Immortal Hulk 16 outselling Batman was probably the final straw. Batman is always a massive seller they do not want to have to try to rebuild from like 50,000 readers back to 100,000 because of King. Book is already down into 80,0000s and keeps going down not up, smart move by DC to give him the boot and try to salvage the book for issue 100. They probably also saw how much everyone hated what he did with Wally, I think they are realizing he is not the golden goose they thought he was.

Incredible Member

Mitch Gerard's latest tweet is still cryptic, but...maybe not sooo bad? It's a gif of someone falling on their face that says "jumping to conclusions." Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    So according to a report on bleedingcool Tom King will be kicked off batman at 85.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/05...ue-will-be-85/
    This is too good to be true. Please let this be true.
    Done in by his own filler filled run. He dragged his story out all in a bid to get to a landmark 100 which is is dick move. So I have no sympathy for TPTB doing this to him.
    Last edited by Fergus; 05-22-2019 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Mitch Gerard's latest tweet is still cryptic, but...maybe not sooo bad? It's a gif of someone falling on their face that says "jumping to conclusions." Hmm.
    My Guess King IS off Batman but he’s gonna do a 12 issue Maxi with Gerads finishing it someplace else
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

I suppose he's done enough damage. Quick, call Joss Whedon to finish the story off!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Tomasi had his 100 issue run on Superman curtailed. These things happen.
    Yep. These days I'd argue its more commonplace than not. When was the last time DC had someone stay so long on a big title? I'm thinking Johns/GL. Its just rare. Sales usually begin to fall and they make a change. Granted sliding sales for Batman is a relative term as its still way better than most everything else, but still I wouldn't imagine they like it either way.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

YES!!!! Finally. DC seems to have realized that keeping a writer on their top selling book with sales steadily dropping is a bad idea. Now hopefully we can get Tom Taylor in there to write stories that actually make sense and don't piss off half the fan base.

Well Overall all I can say as a Wally West fan who endured Heroes in Crisis
    “The History Books said that your run lived to be 105 Issues old Mr King... Well I guess the History Books... ARE WRONG!”*Helicopter Noises Intensify and Reverse Flash Theme Intensify*
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Somethings rotten in this Batoffice.

Amazing Member

If Jack Kirby can get hired away from Marvel to DC then booted from his own Fourth World mega-series after two years, then anything can happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Tomasi had his 100 issue run on Superman curtailed. These things happen.
    Tomasi had the misfortune of hitching his horse to Johns and Rebirth. Two things that were not so popular after Didio got Bendis from Marvel.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Course correction is one thing (and something that should be done earlier), but committing to long-term plans only to break one of your hottest talents' ankles right before the finish line when they're still making you more bank than most others is wack, gross, and unethical. Bad for creators and bad for fans. Both for fans of the run and fans who don't like it when the precedent is set for plans for stuff they like to suddenly be aborted because of some manageable sales dip. Wack, wack, wackity wack.
    Despite not being the biggest fan of King's run, I completely agree with above. I hate it when a creator gets the rug pulled out from under them; all it accomplishes is bad blood between the publisher and the readers.

That said, I'm in the camp that suspects he will get to tell his story, just not in the Batman proper title. Look for it to morph into a sprawling event that may or may not commandeer all the satellite books as well.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member TravelerInTheDark's Avatar

This means that the Bane stuff will be the climax of his run. And I mean who cares all that much about that, really? It's just Knightfall part 2.

Man, I'm so upset with King right now. If he hadn't decompressed to such an extreme degree and spent less issues wanking himself then maybe he could have told his story and not ruin the whole thing by getting booted prematurely after alienating fans. Now all those ridiculous promises of his mean nothing. The BatCat stuff was nothing more than a total tease.

King has nobody to blame but himself as far as I'm concerned.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerInTheDark View Post
    This means that the Bane stuff will be the climax of his run. And I mean who cares all that much about that, really? It's just Knightfall part 2.

Man, I'm so upset with King right now. If he hadn't decompressed to such an extreme degree and spent less issues wanking himself then maybe he could have told his story and not ruin the whole thing by getting booted prematurely after alienating fans. Now all those ridiculous promises of his mean nothing. The BatCat stuff was nothing more than a total tease.
    This is the most upsetting thing. Seriously, everybody knows he's going to beat Bane, but the rest of it? The whole relationship stuff has been hanging in the air, waiting for a resolution for a year! Now we don't get it?