Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

I find it hilarious that people are saying the book selling 80K is a "disappointment". The series is approaching 70 issues and has been in the Top 10 since the beginning. Its their highest selling ongoing by a LONG margin. Whatever is going on, sales are not the reason.

And honestly, who could they get on short notice to replace him and yet still be at his caliber? It would've made sense to get someone smaller as the successor, but as a replacement, you need someone that would be a good reason why to replace him. And going for the easy choice of Bendis would probably just make things worse (not so much on a creative front, but moreso controlling Superman and Batman at the same time just seems like cheating)

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I find it hilarious that people are saying the book selling 80K is a "disappointment". The series is approaching 70 issues and has been in the Top 10 since the beginning. Its their highest selling ongoing by a LONG margin. Whatever is going on, sales are not the reason.

And honestly, who could they get on short notice to replace him and yet still be at his caliber? It would've made sense to get someone smaller as the successor, but as a replacement, you need someone that would be a good reason why to replace him. And going for the easy choice of Bendis would probably just make things worse (not so much on a creative front, but moreso controlling Superman and Batman at the same time just seems like cheating)
    Its Batman though. 50k of that is the title.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    That's a good point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

(Posted in King Run Analysis)

Yowza, this sucks. But for me I take it as a learning opportunity, I think it's best to just trade-wait until your favorite writers run is over to read it; so you don't become overly invested in it. I may end up doing this with Hickman's X-Men and I know a lot may take umbrage with this notion because a lack of sales on floppies means a book can get canceled, but that's not my problem because I buy the trades for my collection.

I did the same for GoT and I am glad to have done it now I can just burn through it over summer break without being disappointed in the ending because I haven't been invested for nearly a decade.

I don't know if the investment is worth it to be honest and I fear when it comes to the big TWO, this will happen more and more because of the skittishness of the higher-ups. The fact that King was able to do what he did for so long is a testament to his skill as a writer and the clout he had with DC, but sooner or later the gig is up.

The silver lining is that we got some amazing art on the book, "Superfriends" one of the most beautiful arcs in the run.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm sure a certain percentage of every title's sales have to do with the character(s) involved because there are people who follow a character religiously regardless of the quality of the book.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Abductor View Post
    What do you mean, since she's gonna stay a villain, Bruce is probably gonna have her slapped behind some bars, i'd call that a resolution to their relationship lol
    I doubt that would happen if only because I can't even remember the last time Batman actually arrested any of the Sirens, to be honest.

They almost are arrest-proof nowadays, either from popularity or because of their newfound anti-hero statuses.

Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Some people have mentioned Immortal Hulk's rise in sales for the current issue as being a factor. I would highly doubt that because it didn't hurt Batman's sales, and who knows if Hulk's sales was just a one-issue spike? It doesn't matter either way.

Maybe DC is wanting to launch a 3rd Batman comic and using the conclusion of King's story to do it. Mitch Gerard's tweet suggested bigger and better things are in store for King at DC. So, in spite of Batman's 80k level sales and the controversy with Heroes in Crisis, DC still wants very much to be in the Tom King business.

Also, King just gave an interview where he said he got major changes approved for Batman that would affect him for the next generation, maybe forever. DC has done abrupt about-faces in story direction before, but not really on Batman.

I think DiDio is silent right now because he loves any online fuss that DC gets, but perhaps by Friday before the long weekend, we'll get some more details as to what DC is planning with Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Some people have mentioned Immortal Hulk's rise in sales for the current issue as being a factor. I would highly doubt that because it didn't hurt Batman's sales, and who knows if Hulk's sales was just a one-issue spike? It doesn't matter either way.

Maybe DC is wanting to launch a 3rd Batman comic and using the conclusion of King's story to do it. Mitch Gerard's tweet suggested bigger and better things are in store for King at DC. So, in spite of Batman's 80k level sales and the controversy with Heroes in Crisis, DC still wants very much to be in the Tom King business.

Also, King just gave an interview where he said he got major changes approved for Batman that would affect him for the next generation, maybe forever. DC has done abrupt about-faces in story direction before, but not really on Batman.

I think DiDio is silent right now because he loves any online fuss that DC gets, but perhaps by Friday before the long weekend, we'll get some more details as to what DC is planning with Batman.
    I guess at this point I wouldn't be surprised if King marries them and does a Batman/Catwoman book, and it's so sequestered like King's run has generally been that the main Batman title can move on and not deal with it .

Incredible Member

This is the most baffling thing of all to me, because these interviews literally JUST happened. One of them was published today! So wtf is going on?

Is another Batman comic launch an actual possibility or is it just wishful thinking? On one hand, it seems like a possibility, considering the fact that he's mentioned in two different interviews that it's supposed to be kind of a separate story...but then again, you would think if this was the case they would just go ahead and announce it, especially now that this news has leaked.

I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    This is the most baffling thing of all to me, because these interviews literally JUST happened. One of them was published today! So wtf is going on?

Is another Batman comic launch an actual possibility or is it just wishful thinking? On one hand, it seems like a possibility, considering the fact that he's mentioned in two different interviews that it's supposed to be kind of a separate story...but then again, you would think if this was the case they would just go ahead and announce it, especially now that this news has leaked.

I don't understand.
    Not even Leaked, all the news sites are reporting on it now
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike

Yes, it may all be a PR stunt for a new title or upcoming project/Event, a rebrand of the main title, etcetera
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Yes, it may all be a PR stunt for a new title or upcoming project/Event, a rebrand of the main title, etcetera
    Again, I repeat Myself: King is DEFINITELY off Batman. Its not just a Bleeding cool Report Now, Lots of Sites have verified it, Den of Geek even stated King is LEAVING the Title Early
    Last edited by Denirac; 05-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Say whatever you want about your own feelings, but if you don't say that King is one of the most respected and popular comic writers working today, then you're just lying to yourself. He's got the clout and the fame, and despite what happens DC still wants to hold on tightly to him, so that says something. There's a reason him, Snyder, and Bendis are the three top dogs currently with no one really coming close to their level.
    DC's got to appreciate how much he's taken a hit for HiC when everyone is as quick to jump on DC editorial for it.

I feel like a lot of the goodwill King has from DC comes from his earlier much-lauded works but that his trajectory with more "mainstream" books has been inconsistent.

It almost feels like he's on the same path as Bendis at his height.