Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I doubt that would happen if only because I can't even remember the last time Batman actually arrested any of the Sirens, to be honest.

They almost are arrest-proof nowadays, either from popularity or because of their newfound anti-hero statuses.
    I know, its only wishful thinking lol

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Them still not saying the "Why" he's leaving the book is still really telling. If the answer isn't "Final issues gonna be its own relaunch/mini", then what happened in the past week that made them wanna cut things short, while also having King still be willing to work on other projects with them?
    They need to keep him sweet. Marvel would jump at the chance to have him back, remember his Vision run was reprinted multiple times (it had a director's cut and omni, not just singles and trades). They love that book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don't have any facts to support it, so it's just a feeling, but I don't see DC being surprise about HIC's backlash. It was pretty obvious that fans wouldn't like what was done to Wally West . . .
    But, did Dan DiDio like what was done with/to Wally?

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Again, I repeat Myself: King is DEFINITELY off Batman. Its not just a Bleeding cool Report Now, Lots of Sites have verified it, Den of Geek even stated King is LEAVING the Title Early
    Tom King might definitely be off the title BATMAN, but that doesn't mean he's gone from the character of Batman.

If DC is going to launch a new Batman comic and use the finale of King's story to launch it, the online reports saying King is off BATMAN does not contradict that.

We have heard NO reports that DC is abandoning King's story or that he won't get to finish his story in another title. King doesn't sound upset. Mitch Gerard doesn't sound upset.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose
    This is the most baffling thing of all to me, because these interviews literally JUST happened. One of them was published today! So wtf is going on?

Is another Batman comic launch an actual possibility or is it just wishful thinking? On one hand, it seems like a possibility, considering the fact that he's mentioned in two different interviews that it's supposed to be kind of a separate story...but then again, you would think if this was the case they would just go ahead and announce it, especially now that this news has leaked.

I don't understand.
    DC isn't saying anything YET because they have their day and time set when they will make an official announcement about the future of the Bat-franchise and no amount of online handwringing is going to make them announce anything earlier than they want to.

In fact, the more online handwringing and chatter about Batman, the better. It means people aren't talking about Marvel.

So, DiDio will allow everyone to be on pins and needles for the next couple of days talking about DC, and then I'm sure we'll get an announcement by Friday -- month end at the latest.

Between BATMAN and the upcoming issues of DOOMSDAY CLOCK and HEROES IN CRISIS, DC will dominate online chatter until month-end. Then, when that dies down, there'll be something about Event Leviathan and/or Year of the Villain.

This is all classic DiDio.

Again, I repeat Myself: King is DEFINITELY off Batman. Its not just a Bleeding cool Report Now, Lots of Sites have verified it, Den of Geek even stated King is LEAVING the Title Early
    Not really.

"Verified" would be "Person at DC actually says on the record that it is indeed the case."

As of right now, that hasn't happened.

Here is a site reporting what actually is happening.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/rumor-tom...with-issue-85/

Rumor: Tom King leaving BATMAN with issue #85?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Tom King might definitely be off the title BATMAN, but that doesn't mean he's gone from the character of Batman.

If DC is going to launch a new Batman comic and use the finale of King's story to launch it, the online reports saying King is off BATMAN does not contradict that.

We have heard NO reports that DC is abandoning King's story or that he won't get to finish his story in another title. King doesn't sound upset. Mitch Gerard doesn't sound upset.

DC isn't saying anything YET because they have their day and time set when they will make an official announcement about the future of the Bat-franchise and no amount of online handwringing is going to make them announce anything earlier than they want to.

In fact, the more online handwringing and chatter about Batman, the better. It means people aren't talking about Marvel.

So, DiDio will allow everyone to be on pins and needles for the next couple of days talking about DC, and then I'm sure we'll get an announcement by Friday -- month end at the latest.

Between BATMAN and the upcoming issues of DOOMSDAY CLOCK and HEROES IN CRISIS, DC will dominate online chatter until month-end. Then, when that dies down, there'll be something about Event Leviathan and/or Year of the Villain.

This is all classic DiDio.
    Let's not forget the upcoming THREE JOKERS mini too, I feel like ComicCon is where all of this will be clarified

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Not really.

"Verified" would be "Person at DC actually says on the record that it is indeed the case."

As of right now, that hasn't happened.

Here is a site reporting what actually is happening.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/rumor-tom...with-issue-85/
    Comicbook.com Heard Rumblings Yesterday.
    https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/22/...itle-after-85/
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Comicbook.com Heard Rumblings Yesterday.
    https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/22/...itle-after-85/
    "Rumblings", until they are actually verified by someone from DC on the record, are "Rumor". Which is exactly what Comcisbeat reported.

"Likely" rumor? Sure.

That doesn't change that a likely rumor is not the same as actual verification.

Here is a theory:

maybe he is actually leaving for issue 85
    86 is done by the new writer

but

the other issues of his "end of run" will be on a mini/maxi series

this is pretty much what happen with Morrison, he still did Batman Inc while Snyder took over Batman, at the same time Snyder did Batman All-star while King was starting with Rebirth.

And the reason why DC/Warner is so quiet is because they just werent ready to announce the other book.
    this kind of transition makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 05-22-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    this is pretty much what happen with Morrison, he still did Batman Inc while Snyder took over Batman,
    That is wrong. Morrison was already off Batman after Final Crisis and had launched a new Batman and Robin book before leaving that to do Batman Inc. But that's more a peculiarity of Morrison's entire run on the Batbooks with each part of the trilogy being done under a new ongoing.

Snyder actually succeeded Tony Daniel on Batman while iirc Daniel took over Detective Comics from Snyder (who had made his name with the Black Mirror arc).

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Maybe they just realized that he’s not a good Batman writer.
    Yes like Tony Daniel and David Finch? I think we can put to bed the whole idea that DC cares about the "quality" of the Batbooks.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-22-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Despite the controversies, I would still say his Batman is more positively received than not, and then you have Mister Miracle, which has been nearly universally loved, plus Marvel's Vision is still fresh in people's minds. He's an extremely popular writer and can sell books, the latter two are the perfect example. That's why they still want to stick with him, despite whatever disagreements they may have, and despite the people who despise him, his name still means something, and they don't wanna lose that.
    Vision and Mr. Miracle were more in King's wheelhouse. It's no wonder they're better received.

Batman seemed fine up even with the vocal detractors right up until the non-wedding issue, which seemed to turn public opinion against King a little. Now, DC is partially at fault for this, but the impact was noticeable in my opinion.

And then Heroes in Crisis was his Civil War II moment.
    Exactly, that's why I believe whatever problems there are may be a higher, higher up issue. Didio knows that Marvel/Cebulski would snatch up King the moment he's available, because they know they can get something successful out of it, and with the possibility of Snyder wrapping up all his major work with them next year, that leaves Bendis with their only A-lister, while Marvel has been doing a good job recently snatching up more of said A-listers.
    I'd be surprised if Snyder doesn't still have some DC work in the future.

DC also still has Johns and Morrison, if not as frequently as they used to be.

Marvel's A-listers...Aaron, Cates, and Spencer?

Astonishing Member

Given DC's treatment of Rebirth and many of the writers attached to the project, I think it's pretty clear current day DC probably doesn't care for Geoff Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Given DC's treatment of Rebirth and many of the writers attached to the project, I think it's pretty clear current day DC probably doesn't care for Geoff Johns.
    Honestly, compared to Johns, I think King is much more up current DC editorial's alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That is wrong. Morrison was already off Batman after Final Crisis and had launched a new Batman and Robin book before leaving that to do Batman Inc. But that's more a peculiarity of Morrison's entire run on the Batbooks with each part of the trilogy being done under a new ongoing.

Snyder actually succeeded Tony Daniel on Batman while iirc Daniel took over Detective Comics from Snyder (who had made his name with the Black Mirror arc).
    I know, however people didnt really consider Batman as the main Batman title, it was Batman and Robin.
    Morrison's official end of the run was with Batman Inc.

Incredible Member

This is just so weird. My brother tells me it's unusual that this happens to A-list titles, where the writer isn't allowed to finish their planned run. Especially this close to the freaking ending and out of nowhere, right after all those interviews King did. He thinks it must be some sort of issue with King and the higher-ups that just happened.

Is it possible they didn't like him saying that stuff he said in those interviews? Was that him trying to push something that hadn't actually been approved yet and it pissed someone off at the top?
    Last edited by lilyrose; 05-22-2019 at 06:17 PM.