Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's a constantly moving target for me because the most interesting comics to me are the ones that are coming out contemporaneously. My favorite decade is almost always the one we're in. The "Extreme 90s" are something of an exception to the rule since I didn't really dig the aesthetic that infected all comics then and, though I'm a Batman/Superman fan for the most part, I didn't find anything to like about Death of Superman or Knightfall. It was the only time I stepped away from comics for a bit. But then Morrison's JLA brought me storming back so there's something for me to love in every decade, including the ones that occurred before I started reading comics as a toddler in the early 70s.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

I wasn't reading comics when my favorite ages occurred. Some of them I weren't even alive for (looking at you, Silver Age.)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    I wasn't reading comics when my favorite ages occurred. Some of them I weren't even alive for (looking at you, Silver Age.)
    I feel ya! I love the JSA. They were 1.5 decades dead and gone before I was born.

Retired

I wish my father had shown an interest in comic books, then maybe he could have told me something about the comics from the 1940s. But he never bothered with them. He did have fond memories of the comic strips from the 1930s and 1940s. His main interest, as a cowboy himself, was in Westerns--having read Louis Lamour books over and over again and he used to watch Gene Autry at the picture shows.

He actually knew a fellow who was a comic book writer and artist--because they worked together in the lumber camps of BC during the Depression and even during the war--when Dad enlisted, they sent the lumberjacks back to the forests of the Queen Charlotte Islands to fall timber for the war effort. The gearfoot he knew was Bus Griffiths who went on to work for Maple Leaf Comics in Vancouver, during the war.

Griffiths wrote a series on the BC foresters, "Now You're Logging," which was collected many decades later in a book. When I told my dad about that book, he said that oh yes he knew Bus--but he had no idea that he gotten into doing comic books.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wish my father had shown an interest in comic books, then maybe he could have told me something about the comics from the 1940s. But he never bothered with them. He did have fond memories of the comic strips from the 1930s and 1940s. His main interest, as a cowboy himself, was in Westerns--having read Louis Lamour books over and over again and he used to watch Gene Autry at the picture shows.

He actually knew a fellow who was a comic book writer and artist--because they worked together in the lumber camps of BC during the Depression and even during the war--when Dad enlisted, they sent the lumberjacks back to the forests of the Queen Charlotte Islands to fall timber for the war effort. The gearfoot he knew was Bus Griffiths who went on to work for Maple Leaf Comics in Vancouver, during the war.

Griffiths wrote a series on the BC foresters, "Now You're Logging," which was collected many decades later in a book. When I told my dad about that book, he said that oh yes he knew Bus--but he had no idea that he gotten into doing comic books.
    Comic strips have a whole fascinating history of their own. I sometimes think we don't sufficiently appreciate that.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

For most fans, I imagine the decade that they started reading would always be their favorite.

For me, that would be the second half of the 1970s.

INTERESTING TRIVIA: my favorite DC years covered roughly the same span as the entire original broadcast of the THREE'S COMPANY sitcom in the U.S.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014