Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gwenpool Strikes Back! Mini Announced

https://www.cbr.com/exclusive-gwenpool-strikes-back/

written by Leah Williams
    illustrated by David Baldeon
    cover by Terry Dodson

POOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER!
    That’s right — everyone’s favorite comics-fan-turned-comics character is back, and this time, she’s playing for keeps! Gwen Poole is desperate not to disappear into comic book limbo, so she’s going to make an impact on the Marvel Universe! First up: Unmask Spider-Man! And heck, maybe see if she can get some real super-powers while she’s at it!

I... got something I wanted... I... cannot believe...
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

"Damn, I'm itchin' for some Ant-Man."

Leah: "Sup doogie."

"Where will my sweet Gwendolyn go now?!?!?!?"

Leah: "Pull up."

leah do a boom-boom mini god please

So is she back to being a Supervillain? Or trying to cause mayhem just to keep herself relevant?

I'm kind of surprised she's not trying to unmask Miles, but maybe she wants to avoid going to jail this time .

Yaaaay! Glad she's still kicking

Very happy with this.
    Would've prefered Hastings back on writing duties, but I'm generally a fan of Williams, so I don't mind the change in writer too much.
    I hope Gwen gets her powers back fully. I was not happy with what was done to her in WCA. Not with her powers or pairing her up with that scumbag Quire. I'm sure it's too much to hope Leah undoes it all.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Always here for more Gwenpool. I wish they would've given us her ongoing back (with Hastings and Gurihiru again), but oh well, some Gwen is better than no Gwen. And I love that the plot is her trying to escape comic book limbo. I would love if Leah went super meta with this and actually showed us that the comic book limbo is an actual place where forgotten characters just like, hang around, and Gwen keeps getting sucked into it everytime she is not getting a new story, haha. Hopefully Marvel will keep gracing us with Gwenpool content, as it seems she did find some success outside of the american direct market.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So is she back to being a Supervillain? Or trying to cause mayhem just to keep herself relevant?
    That seems to be exactly what the solicit is implying the story will be about.

I wish Leah Williams hadn't felt the need to explain it all in a bunch of tweets, to be honest. That the solicit and cover is a lie, because Gwen feels she has to "look like proto-Harley Quinn to get past corporate" is a cool meta move, perfectly fitting with the spirit of Gwenpool. And while i get that some fans are worried, I kind of wish she had given us the benefit of the doubt, and i just think it would have had more impact if we'd actually read it in the book and saw for ourselves how deceptive the covers/solicits were rather than in her tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I wish Leah Williams hadn't felt the need to explain it all in a bunch of tweets, to be honest. That the solicit and cover is a lie, because Gwen feels she has to "look like proto-Harley Quinn to get past corporate" is a cool meta move, perfectly fitting with the spirit of Gwenpool. And while i get that some fans are worried, I kind of wish she had given us the benefit of the doubt, and i just think it would have had more impact if we'd actually read it in the book and saw for ourselves how deceptive the covers/solicits were rather than in her tweets.
    Hard agree, but she's on Twitter a lot more than most creators so I guess she just got panicky towards some of the knee-jerk reactions. I don't want everyone to try and have Hickman levels of mystery, but I'd really prefer it if people didn't break down anything about stuff that ain't out yet. Fans being nervous is good, because it means you're already controlling their emotions and the work can benefit by giving them the catharsis.

Baldeon and Williams? I'm in.

re: Twitter - It doesn't seem like "the cover/solit is a lie!" is something Williams was doing as a deliberate play on meta expectations, but a case of her having less input into the marketing than she would have liked. This mini is potentially the last gasp for Gwenpool, so I get not wanting the potential audience turned off by what looks like character regression, especially if that twist is something not in line the writer's intent.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Kinda of a shame how Gwenpool just basically vanished when her series ended (even though she's just another clone character). Hopefully this mini renews some interest.

BANNED

has she ever stopped at Marvel offices for her paycheck or paid a visit or something? that would be a hilariously meta read.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I found the whole thing bizarre. On one hand, I think it is great a creator is showing passion for the work and promoting it, on the other hand, I had no idea what the issue was that was being addressed and found her comments regarding it to lack clarity anyway (which may be in part due to not understanding what the issue is.)