BANNED

Default Gwenpoole Is Back With A New Mission: Unmask Spider-Man

GWENPOOL STRIKES BACK #1 (OF 5)
    written by Leah Williams
    illustrated by David Baldeon
    cover by Terry Dodson
    POOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER!
    That’s right — everyone’s favorite comics-fan-turned-comics character is back, and this time, she’s playing for keeps! Gwen Poole is desperate not to disappear into comic book limbo, so she’s going to make an impact on the Marvel Universe! First up: Unmask Spider-Man! And heck, maybe see if she can get some real super-powers while she’s at it!

I'm kind of surprised she's not trying to unmask Miles. Oh wait, she ended up in jail during their last team-up .

But this kind of leans back into Supervillain territory, so I guess she's a bad guy again...?

"That’s right — everyone’s favorite comics-fan-turned-comics character is back, and this time, she’s playing for keeps! Gwen Poole is desperate not to disappear into comic book limbo, so she’s going to make an impact on the Marvel Universe! First up: Unmask Spider-Man! And heck, maybe see if she can get some real super-powers while she’s at it!"

I loved and a big fan of her series plus general enjoyment of her time on West Coast Avengers. So this confuses me.

One Gwen Poole has powers. However they are based on the writer she falls under which Gwen Poole openly admitted thus while she had godlike assess to her 4th wall abilities and gutter space and sound effects and more during the last issues of her run while on West Coast Avengers Gwen Poole tried to access those powers but couldn't and figured due that the writer didn't have ideas for them thus blocked. It could be Gwen Poole knowing how chaotic and how many writers can't use 4th wall abilities often like her last writer with the Avengers Gwen is trying to have a more definitive yet able to be used powers by many writers to set in.
    Looking at 4th wall breakers in the past many often forgot or loss that ability (She Hulk, Deadpool often forgets/doesn't have, and other characters once 4th wall breakers) while Gwen Poole had the greatest access to the powers used in her series and part of her story.
    Many heroes have TONS of abilities that pop up then later is forgotten and lost to oblivion while some powers become the set bunch for heroes.

Next thing that confuses me is the whole character journey Gwen Poole has in her series. In her main series she goes from a character that had the thinking of the world around her being just a comic so nothing or nobody matters like her actions because it's all fake making her irresponsible. Then by the end of her series she has transformed gaining skill and abilities but most of all a new perspective, friends, and becoming one of the most responsible and caring. Her series was a giant fun character journey and I loved it.

On West Coast she was diffnert a bit such as her powers blocked due to writer but overall still had a fun personality and caring to her and the relationship she developed with Quinn was surprisingly enjoyable as well and my feelings help him be more enjoyable and a fun pairing.

In her own series Gwen Poole met a villain version of her future self doing to Miles what supposedly Gwen Poole is doing to Peter. Learning of the consequences and how selfish the villain version of her was she vowed not to become her and had her future villain version fade away.

Lastly her last issues in her own series was her dealing with her upcoming cancellation, worries for her friends, and other matters of personal crisis. Having a talk with her future self however was very well made (Gwenpool series was very well made writing and art that I highly recommend).

So this confuses me.
    I don't want her in limbo but I don't want her derailing or going backwards after the very topics covered was well done in her own series. Her personal crisis kicking back. Plus her own villain version even told her bing a C or B list at best character it was impossible for her to kill or make major changes on 616 unless somebody like Bendis took over.

However I also know what is advertised and shown on covers are usually NOT what content is found within or aims to misaim us. So the info might be misleading. It also still possible to be enjoyable and good/well written but much of the past will need to be addressed in some way.

leah williams did her homework for a bunch of niche characters in the new giant-man book, so continuity will be fine, it's a comedy book, excited for baldeon too
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of surprised she's not trying to unmask Miles. Oh wait, she ended up in jail during their last team-up .

But this kind of leans back into Supervillain territory, so I guess she's a bad guy again...?
    She's a joke super hero - she's never meant to be taken seriously.

Amazing Member

The writer of West Coast Avengers said that (someone please find source) Gwenpool lose her power because of being in a team, which diluted her popularity. No time for explanation in the series due to sudden cancellation. So I think Gwenpool in this miniseries recovers her power back because of being solo protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelJean View Post
    The writer of West Coast Avengers said that (someone please find source) Gwenpool lose her power because of being in a team, which diluted her popularity. No time for explanation in the series due to sudden cancellation. So I think Gwenpool in this miniseries recovers her power back because of being solo protagonist.
    Team member: No powers
    Guest star: Some powers
    Lead protag: God

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    She's a joke super hero - she's never meant to be taken seriously.
    For her series she a bit of both: humor and seriousness. AKA the 'Dramedy'. On the outside perspective many see her as a joke or assume she is crazy and write her off.
    Now in her own series we see how she thinks, why, and overall we see she isn't crazy nor always happy-go-lucky. She often gets depressed when thinking and alone.

In her own series after having character development she cares for her friends many that she hurt and tries to make sure they are taken care of, has a brother that for a time she lost (last issue she was able to find and save him in two pages). She handles identity subjects and worries for her friends (which I loved the mage Sarah) and for the one's that might be shown outside of her series but used as punching bags (The Leaper who helped train her, a friend, and even a father figure for her that she knows his competence and intelligence will fall reverting to before outside of her series giving him a hug not knowing if the Leaper she knows will be around anymore).

Now she not going to shift things (Gwen Poole herself knows this knowing she's a C-list character) on the 616 world. 'Shift' in the grand scheme of things Gwen Poole acknowledged couldn't ever happen in a "Gwenpool" comic but only in a Event comic. As for other characters a major shift can only happen if it takes place in 'their' own series and limited to them unless it's part of a grand tie-in necessary read. Thus Gwen Poole knows the only shifts that can happen to her or her cast is limited in scope to her and her cast on a Gwenpool series but outsiders unless fellow C rank the odds were very low.

So once more taking that expressed knowledge that for a Gwenpool series she wouldn't be able to affect "Spider-man" and even laughed it off it has me thinking while this series can have serious stuff it's serious only in the personal world and scope of herself and her cast. Looking at the cover we see Gwen Poole in a bank on the cover unmasking 'Spider-Man'

Now assuming Gwen Poole isn't robbing the bank that could mean "Spider-man" is. Now fully knowing Spider-Man Peter nor Miles would never do that maybe Gwen Poole wants to 'Unmask Spider-Man' thinking it's obviously an imposter underneath then find out where Peter is if Spider-Man/Peter is missing thus incorporating herself with a big name Marvel character to get herself in a comic and network herself out to the grander side of things enough to raise in rank.

Reading the tweet: "I, Leah Williams, writer of the new Gwenpool miniseries, promise to love, honor, and obey all of Gwen's meaningful character development, including Christopher Hasting/Gurihiru's run of The Unbelievable Gwenpool"
    "There's a lot to love about this miniseries and a lot more to love about Gwen. We're going to stay authentic, earnest, and honest and that includes me saying, right now: if you find the solicit text troublesome, don't worry! Gwen calls herself/Marvel out for it fcking immediately"

This was calming to read. Gives more assurance.

Amazing Member

sweet! I love Gwenpool

Astonishing Member

Gwenpool goes for MCU Spider-Man and she's done in record time.

BANNED

she is following Deadpools footsteps literally or so it seems. Spider man was 'unmasked' recently by the "villainous" narrator so that wade could at last learn his secret identity but it didn't work.