Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    WRT the Snyder cut I was mostly trying to put myself into the shoes of those that hate King's Batman and see the other side rather than just arguing what I love is wonderful and what I hate is terrible, even though there's no accounting for taste in art and I don't really believe there ought to be. It was a ham-fisted attempt to be empathetic.

I'm with you, re: no great live-action Batman since Adam West. Even though the O'Neil/Adams Batman is historically "my" comic book Batman, nothing but nothing compares to every single everything about Batman '66. I make avant-garde theatre for a living but that show is the greatest artistic influence on me of any art in any medium and it was perfect.

The Nolan Batman movies were very good and Christian Bale is a great actor but he wasn't much of a Batman because those films were unconcerned with giving us a great Batman. And while Michael Keaton was unoffensive I don't get the love for the Burton movies at all.

I've waited my whole life for a great Batman in a great Batman movie and I'm still waiting. Heath Ledger as The Joker is another story. I thought he was transcendent.
    Ah I see now.

I really love Nolan's Batman movies but they really felt like a crime drama movie first and a Batman movie second. I saw The Dark Knight 8 times in theaters but I think Batman Begins is my favorite not counting the 66 or animated movies. I personally liked Val Kilmer as Batman more than I did Keaton, I thought he made a great Bruce and Batman.

If King's run isn't going to make it to 100 issues and by that I mean his full planned run possibly picked up by someone else then I hope he can still finish what he wanted to do with the time he has left. This had to have been planned for at least a month or 2 I would think. DC probably just wants him to speed up his plans because of the pressure of HiC.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Again, with respect, how can you comment on the essence of a story you didn't read?
    The issues I did read were enough for me to know I didn't want to follow the series. And when I did later buy/read some issues to see how they would impact characters I was interested in, King reaffirmed the idea that I don't intend to buy anything else he writes in the future. It's as simple as that.

King broke my interest in Batman. Don't know if DC will ever fix that again.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The issues I did read were enough for me to know I didn't want to follow the series. And when I did later buy/read some issues to see how they would impact characters I was interested in, King reaffirmed the idea that I don't intend to buy anything else he writes in the future. It's as simple as that.

King broke my interest in Batman. Don't know if DC will ever fix that again.
    Fair enough and sorry to hear it. Hopefully another writer will bring you back somehow. Thanks for the reply.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I don't know why people would even want a resolution for the Batman-Catwoman-Relation written by King.

There have been good takes on the relation in different eras and medias, we had them as a couple a while in the late Bronze Age, and the 2000s, and in live action and of course in the animated series.

But in Kings run there is imo no chemistry between them. His might have made me even less interested in this relation ship then I was before.

I'm in the minority who actually liked the way King portrayed the two of them. Aside from the dumb "Bat?" "Cat" petnames and the usual problem King has with repetition to the point of nausea, I thought he did okay job showing them as two people who are genuinely in love.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'm in the minority who actually liked the way King portrayed the two of them. Aside from the dumb "Bat?" "Cat" petnames and the usual problem King has with repetition to the point of nausea, I thought he did okay job showing them as two people who are genuinely in love.
    It's just such a gip to not have it end properly after suffering through the wedding thing and his constant promises that it wasn't over, that it was going to have a resolution, that it was all coming, etc. etc. This is what we've been waiting for, to see how that ends.

Pretty much. That's been my only big issue with his writing of Bat/Cat. Dragging this **** out and making it a part of his convoluted (and frankly, uninteresting) Bane plot. He keeps saying it's "not over" and won't explain how, but I honestly can't think of a way this'll have a satisfying end without them going through with the wedding like they should have done from the get go. Nevermind the dumb ass in-universe reason for why Selina didn't go through with it in the first place

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly I don't know why people would even want a resolution for the Batman-Catwoman-Relation written by King.

There have been good takes on the relation in different eras and medias, we had them as a couple a while in the late Bronze Age, and the 2000s, and in live action and of course in the animated series.

But in Kings run there is imo no chemistry between them. His might have made me even less interested in this relation ship then I was before.
    Yup, King has killed my interest in the pairing perhaps forever. If Bruce gets this messed up every time Selina leaves him (either voluntarily or not) then keep them far apart. I have zero interest in reading about a depressed, mess up, ineffectual Batman who is riddled with crippling self-doubt and self-loathing.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm not sure you're in the minority. You're in the minority in terms of who posts here but I've never loved a Batman run more than King's and I hardly post about it at all here because of all the negativity. A lot of people dislike/hate King's run but I wouldn't gauge the percentages on that based on who posts here or really anywhere on the internet. People tend to be more vocal about things they hate than things they love.

Fantastic Member

wrong why is there a section just for those who like king while there is not one for those who dislike the run

I...uh...assume you can air your grievances in any thread relating to King, aside from the Appreciation one. There are like four you can choose from right now XD

I...uh...assume you can air your grievances in any thread relating to King, aside from the Appreciation one. There are like four you can choose from right now XD
    Yup, I suspect that's why.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense man View Post
    wrong why is there a section just for those who like king while there is not one for those who dislike the run
    Are you asking if you can start a "Tom King UN-Appreciation" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Are you asking if you can start a "Tom King UN-Appreciation" thread?
    Apart from the appreciation thread, this whole forum is pretty much that.

Batman/Catwoman has been announced. End thread.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman