Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Default The Original Infinity Inc - Does anyone else miss them?

I've been reading the original series on DCU, and I still enjoy it after all these years. I wish we could revisit the Earth with the Justice Society Infinity periodically. We could have some WW2 flashback stories, as well as modern stories. Preferably with the pre-Crisis relationships intact and Sylvester still alive. There's room for Skyman and Courtney!

I can't wait until there's someone in charge at DC with a level of nostalgia for the '80s that rivals what we've been getting from Johns and Didio with their preferred eras.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Yes I do.

Thing is, the moment has passed, and their foundation has been hacked away and withered. Unless someone returns a full-on Earth 2, or equivalent Elseworld, the logic that makes them viable isn't there. I love 'em, but they need the Pre-Crisis E2 (or something very similar) to properly work.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yes I do.

Thing is, the moment has passed, and their foundation has been hacked away and withered. Unless someone returns a full-on Earth 2, or equivalent Elseworld, the logic that makes them viable isn't there. I love 'em, but they need the Pre-Crisis E2 (or something very similar) to properly work.
    Without the parental influence of the JSA, the heroes that make up Infinity, Inc. become just another teen/young adult team. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the original II had a flavor and attitude that was a little deeper than the Titans had the their adult partners. DC obviously sees something in the kids of superheroes concept as shown by Jon Kent and Damien Wayne.

The difference between the current supersons and the old Infinitors is that the current kids are plentiful and all running around with costumes and powers mimicking the adults. Infinity grew up and had to fight for their place in superherodom with their parent who pretty much ruled the Earth Two super hero roost. A different dynamic and one we really haven't seen since pre Crisis. But the circumstances making this franchise possible have been tootally reworked to the point of non-existance.

I miss them as well. They had a spot and a role which was wiped out.

It's a shame that great characters like Obsidian, Jade and Nuklon haven't even been on the "playing field" since Nu52 debuted (Convergence being the exception). A shame and a waste.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    It's a shame that great characters like Obsidian, Jade and Nuklon haven't even been on the "playing field" since Nu52 debuted (Convergence being the exception). A shame and a waste.
    Of all of them, Obsidian and Nuklon are the two that could be least dependent on a Golden Age connections, and could be retooled for current continuity. Like the Post-Crisis Huntress, it wouldn't be the same, but they could have a future.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Of all of them, Obsidian and Nuklon are the two that could be least dependent on a Golden Age connections, and could be retooled for current continuity. Like the Post-Crisis Huntress, it wouldn't be the same, but they could have a future.
    At least Tom King wasn't able to have them in his "Sanctuary" during Heroes in Crisis!

(And, by the way, both of those two characters did have Golden Age heritage / connections through their parents (Obsidian) / grandparent (Nuklon/Atom Smasher).)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-23-2019 at 07:55 AM.

BANNED

it's a wonder obsidian wasn't in sanctuary given his history. in hindsight he would have been the most ideal character to fill in for the role of extant and take up where he left off. they even look a lot similar.
    joking aside that series was a entertaining read and the team had made quite a niche place in DCU for itself.

Without question. I remembered loving Infinity Inc as much as the Titans growing up. Crisis really messed them up, but some of them had a decent career during the late 90s and early 2000, especially Jade, Al and Hector as Doctor Fate during the JSA. Lyta, Northwynd, Obsidian (to an extent) and the later members did fare too well.
    When Hippolyta went back and served with the original JSA, that could have been the perfect way to have Fury become her real mother and not the 2nd Fury. Just think, Lyta could have been Diana's younger sister who lived before her.

Astonishing Member

While I loved them at the time, in retrospect they were kind of pushing the edge as 20-ish children of the JSA in the mid-80's. And a lot of what made them interesting sort of went out the window after the JSA was redefined and shuffled off stage Post-Crisis. They really do lose a lot as a group when put on an Earth with the Titans, Young Justice, as well as the League (who are the heirs to any JSA role).

If the return of the JSA leaves the team somehow viable I'd love to see them redefined as grandkids or great-grandkids of the JSA whose powers and legacy only become apparent in a post-Doomsday Clock DCU. Something where their parents and even themselves had no idea of the legacy during the time the JSA were gone (i.e they had no powers until the JSA history returned). That would make the JSA ties stronger and set them apart from other heroes as they are really defined by that link now.

I think they missed an opportunity bringing them over with Huntress and Power Girl.

Indeed, Infinity Inc,as the Titans of earth two (because, let's be honest, that was what they were) were good characters who had not the chance to grow more but were interesting enough to become something more.Sadly they were victims of the times and had a bad timming.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

As I recall, the JS Infinity earth is out there. If not, it can be easily enough. Hypertime, multiverse, hand wave it for all I care. They could dust it off for a yearly JL/JSI get-together like they used to do. I am ready for some comics filled with hope to balance out the constant deconstruction and cynicism that is so prevalent now. Heck, They could even have Steve Trevor and Lois Lane borth have passed away on that Earth, so Clark.Diana shippers have a place for that. I'm not one of them, but they'd probably appreciate it!

I actually looked forward to them being on the same Earth at the time.

IIRC, the only heroes on the West Coast (on Earth-1) during that time were the Outsiders.
    Infinity, Inc. would've given more variety and someone to team up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think they missed an opportunity bringing them over with Huntress and Power Girl.
    Problem is, they weren't around yet in the New52 version of Earth 2. Alan probably hadn't fathered any kids yet, and there wasn't an All-Star Squadron to fight Cyclotron. (Godfather Al also wouldn't have been active if/when an Earth 2 version of Albert had been born, let alone when Albert's mother was a baby.)